Random Drug Testing

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I had to pee in a cup ... after I loaded my truck for the day.

the medical technician said, " how many cups of coffee did you drink???"

Yeah, 4 to 6! My pea did smelled like coffee... I didn't know I was chosen to go this morning, LoL

overflowed

I wonder if the swing is targeted because swing doesn't have an everyday route. I can't remember the last time someone at our station had to jump off their own route to go pee in a cup. Pretty sure the courier physical encompasses some form of drug testing, anyway.
For sure they are. I was a CDL swing at express for 10 years. I was tested maybe 7 times. One time I was actually tested by the DOT directly at the station. The time the DOT came, I specifically remember only swings that were on belt pull got tested.

Preventable

I wonder if the swing is targeted because swing doesn't have an everyday route. I can't remember the last time someone at our station had to jump off their own route to go pee in a cup. Pretty sure the courier physical encompasses some form of drug testing, anyway.

They make you pee in a cup, but its not a drug test I don't think. I think the main thing is they are checking your blood for urine... Also I never got randomed and I was a swing for most of my driving days. I do agree with the sentiment that they seem to like to test the people they know are clean. That is how I've seen it too, maybe they don't want to lose any good couriers that might smoke a doobie once in a while.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think the main thing is they are checking your blood for urine...
Seriously???

They're testing for glucose in your urine, an indication of diabetes. Undiagnosed or untreated diabetics can pass out at the wheel of a vehicle, not a desirable condition for driver, company, or innocent bystanders.

Swings are CDL-Haz endorsement required, TSA screened. They are required for transporting DG in excess of limits.
Couriers aren't.

That's why swings are placed in their own pool of candidates for random drug tests. The smaller pool means being selected more often.

MAKAVELI

Seriously???

They're testing for glucose in your urine, an indication of diabetes. Undiagnosed or untreated diabetics can pass out at the wheel of a vehicle, not a desirable condition for driver, company, or innocent bystanders.

Swings are CDL-Haz endorsement required, TSA screened. They are required for transporting DG in excess of limits.
Couriers aren't.

That's why swings are placed in their own pool of candidates for random drug tests. The smaller pool means being selected more often.
New rule is no placard unless carrying 1000+ lbs of dg. No haz endorsement required anymore.

SmithBarney

New rule is no placard unless carrying 1000+ lbs of dg. No haz endorsement required anymore.
No no no...(rule has always been, 1000lbs of one or combination of any DG, or Dangerous when wet(any quantity) or Yellow III (any quantity)

CDL swings are CDL with Haz endorsement to carry Yellow III and Dangerous when wet...that's pretty much it. if we get 1000lbs of DG, it's going to heavyweight anyway.

Not all Swings have a CDL either.(I don't know why but some don't)

Star B

White Lightening
None of our "lightweight" swings have a CDL, just a DOT fed med card so they can do the >10k gvwr vehicles... and I think maybe two have a haz endorsement out of the whole group.

MAKAVELI

No no no...(rule has always been, 1000lbs of one or combination of any DG, or Dangerous when wet(any quantity) or Yellow III (any quantity)

CDL swings are CDL with Haz endorsement to carry Yellow III and Dangerous when wet...that's pretty much it. if we get 1000lbs of DG, it's going to heavyweight anyway.

Not all Swings have a CDL either.(I don't know why but some don't)
Most routes will never see that haz, thus most swings aren't required to have a haz endorsement.

Oldfart

Most routes will never see that haz, thus most swings aren't required to have a haz endorsement.
ALL swings at my at my station are required to have a CDL and Haz endorsement.

You might review the rules about Dangerous When Wet and Yellow III. NO WEIGHT minimum.

DeliveryException

When I was a swing, all of us had to have cdl/hazmat. Now only a couple on each belt still have them. I think in the several years I was a swing I only had one occasion to need it.