re: driving unsafe equipment

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
soberups,

Are you trying to say that these items were standard on the vehicles when they were made and that a UPS management employee had these things deleted from the vehicle?

If so, what proof do you have? This may help me as I develop my statement for my July 1, 2010 report to the UPS Help Line. Thank You.

Sincerely,
I

I am saying that 3 point seat belts could have been installed on these vehicles at the factory. Up until 1994, 3 point belts were an option, not a legal requirement. When UPS ordered the cars, they did not want to pay the extra $$ for a 3 pt belt so this option was deleted and the cheaper lap belt was installed instead.

We have International P-1000's in our building that were made in 1994 and 1995. The cars that are numbered in the 135,xxx range were made in '94 and they only have lap belts. The cars numbered in the 136,xxx range were made in '95 and they have the 3 pt belt that was required for that model year. These cars are identical in every way, they were built in the same factory on the same assembly line....and they all have the reinforced mounting plate for the 3 pt belt. But since the 3 belt was only an option for the 1994 model year, the company chose to delete it in order to save a few bucks.

There is another thread I posted a year or two ago with pictures I took of various models of older package cars and the mounting plates that they all have for 3 pt belts...that were never actually installed. I will try to go back and find it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am saying that 3 point seat belts could have been installed on these vehicles at the factory. Up until 1994, 3 point belts were an option, not a legal requirement. When UPS ordered the cars, they did not want to pay the extra $$ for a 3 pt belt so this option was deleted and the cheaper lap belt was installed instead.

We have International P-1000's in our building that were made in 1994 and 1995. The cars that are numbered in the 135,xxx range were made in '94 and they only have lap belts. The cars numbered in the 136,xxx range were made in '95 and they have the 3 pt belt that was required for that model year. These cars are identical in every way, they were built in the same factory on the same assembly line....and they all have the reinforced mounting plate for the 3 pt belt. But since the 3 belt was only an option for the 1994 model year, the company chose to delete it in order to save a few bucks.

There is another thread I posted a year or two ago with pictures I took of various models of older package cars and the mounting plates that they all have for 3 pt belts...that were never actually installed. I will try to go back and find it.

soberups,
Thank you. This is very helpful. Please let me know if you find that old discussion thread. I will look for it also.

Sincerely,
I

Highwayman

I agree about the hypocrisy! The company wants you to regurgitate sayings about everything but when you press them for safety improvements it isn't in the budget. The best I can do is WRITE IT UP! At least we can make sure the equipment that's there is in working order.:smart: