Re-Inventing The Wheel

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At my station, at least, Fred is well on his way to elimination of mid-to senior range people. In other words, new people are predominant. What this really means is that a "wheel" that was once round and ran smoothly down the road, is now square, covered with spikes, and not very efficient. The best part is that the newbies are leaving before they even reach halfway down the learning curve, so they keep getting replaced with people just as dysfunctional...or worse. And it's not just couriers who are quitting, because managers who leave aren't downgrading to FT courier any longer...they go elsewhere.

Fred's dream is alive and well, and boy, is it fun to watch. I would love to know their turnover costs right now.

bbsam

Staff member
At my station, at least, Fred is well on his way to elimination of mid-to senior range people. In other words, new people are predominant. What this really means is that a "wheel" that was once round and ran smoothly down the road, is now square, covered with spikes, and not very efficient. The best part is that the newbies are leaving before they even reach halfway down the learning curve, so they keep getting replaced with people just as dysfunctional...or worse. And it's not just couriers who are quitting, because managers who leave aren't downgrading to FT courier any longer...they go elsewhere.

Fred's dream is alive and well, and boy, is it fun to watch. I would love to know their turnover costs right now.
What's that say when he'd rather eat the turnover cost that they increase pay at Express. And don't say it's becaus Fred's a bad businessman. We know that's not accurate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's that say when he'd rather eat the turnover cost that they increase pay at Express. And don't say it's becaus Fred's a bad businessman. We know that's not accurate.

Does a good businessman alienate his workforce, disregard customer service, and hire replacement workers of low-quality? No.My theory is that all of this will combine and eventually derail a lot of Fred's efforts to save money. If you could see the level of dysfunction present at Express, you might reconsider your characterization of Mr.Smith.

Think of yourself as an Express customer who isn't getting what they pay (a lot) for most of the time. If you're a good businessperson yourself, you're going to seek viable alternatives.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Actually getting the couriers to pay for that disaster proved him a genius...and for Office...and for the economic downturn...etc.
What he did is what any ol' con artist would have done by having his employees absorb the costs. And you call that genius?

bbsam

Staff member
Does a good businessman alienate his workforce, disregard customer service, and hire replacement workers of low-quality? No.My theory is that all of this will combine and eventually derail a lot of Fred's efforts to save money. If you could see the level of dysfunction present at Express, you might reconsider your characterization of Mr.Smith.

Think of yourself as an Express customer who isn't getting what they pay (a lot) for most of the time. If you're a good businessperson yourself, you're going to seek viable alternatives.
He's a good businessman because he because he's able to balance all that and keep his customers at least satisfied enough to stay with him. Make no mistake about it: Express has the money to make itself exactly what couriers remember it being 20 years ago. Where is the pressure to do that? Turnover? Threat of organizing? Shippers leaving in droves? Anecdotally I'm sure folks could point to pockets of this all over the country. None of these things as of yet rise to the level of that kind of concern with Memphis. They hold the cards and time is on their side.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He's a good businessman because he because he's able to balance all that and keep his customers at least satisfied enough to stay with him. Make no mistake about it: Express has the money to make itself exactly what couriers remember it being 20 years ago. Where is the pressure to do that? Turnover? Threat of organizing? Shippers leaving in droves? Anecdotally I'm sure folks could point to pockets of this all over the country. None of these things as of yet rise to the level of that kind of concern with Memphis. They hold the cards and time is on their side.
So in other words, they think this scenario will last forever?

And by the way, turnover isn't exactly low these days.

Serf

No. Traditionally, downgrading managers have moved directly into FT courier positions. Increasingly, they are leaving the company entirely
Crazy. I'm just trying to picture big FedEx approaching several managers (in particular at my station) and propositioning them to downgrade to a FT courier. Sending them back out on the road. And guaranteeing them 35 hours lol. How would one go about adjusting their salary? Would they automatically go down to top courier pay? Or just national average? Certainly not entry level?
The whole thing doesn't sound far fetched. Even I have heard the old timers talk about how they were asked to downgrade to part time.

bbsam

Staff member
So in other words, they think this scenario will last forever?

And by the way, turnover isn't exactly low these days.
Unless the couriers exert organizing force, then yes. Fred will always have final say on their pay. And Fred will approach it as a business cost just like all others. He will forever weigh cost with "acceptable outcome". If that locks put the idea of career courier, so be it.

Turnover doesn't have to be low, just manageable.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Crazy. I'm just trying to picture big FedEx approaching several managers (in particular at my station) and propositioning them to downgrade to a FT courier. Sending them back out on the road. And guaranteeing them 35 hours lol. How would one go about adjusting their salary? Would they automatically go down to top courier pay? Or just national average? Certainly not entry level?
The whole thing doesn't sound far fetched. Even I have heard the old timers talk about how they were asked to downgrade to part time.

Downgrading managers go straight to topped-out courier. This is one way around the ridiculous top-out time scam, but the departing manager must stay as long as their commitment letter for the position before downgrading. Like I said, a lot of them have just plain had enough, and they are out completely.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He's a piece of crap that focuses almost solely on cutting costs. For now, FedEx still has a decent reputation, but as professional employees are steadily replaced with Ground clones, both quality and image will suffer badly. Like I said, Express is extremely dysfunctional right now, and turnover is a revolving door. New employees don't want to stay the 3-5 years Fred envisions. Sometimes they don't last 3 weeks because they see that this is a job with no future, packed with stress and unreasonable demands, and run by morons.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey Fredfan, turnover is out of control at many a station these days.

I don't have exact numbers, but at my station it's around 50% for hourlies, 70% for managers. I guess we need to ask bbsam if these are indicators of a "good businessman" at the helm.