Retaliation

Heyump

I load, and sometimes when it's overflowing I have to close the chute (manual belt) and clean up the floor of the truck.
My part time sup got angry with me about it, had a full time top dawg come talk to me about it.
I made the point that our safety should be the priority, he agreed and that was that.

Now! Fast forward to today, one day later.
I arrived 30 minutes early, waited until start and was then told to leave my truck and go work another belt. I have been running this truck for the last 6 months, and now all of a sudden, after our disagreement I am being made to move.
Now I'm pretty sure loading isn't a preferred job in our building so I had to work as directed.
I complained a fair amount about it, got the shop steward involved some, but still had to finish the night out in a different area.

I know seniority doesn't apply, but I should mention I have more time than three others, and they were also running two new highers on the belt.
I'm grieving today, So I'm wondering what my grounds for grievances might be?
It definitely seems like harrassment, I was coyly told that the displacement was going to happen again and there is nothing I can do about it.
Grieve or leave the top dawg told me.
Thoughts? Advice?
I have been a loader for two years with no write ups so far

Last edited:

RolloTony Brown Town

It’s always worth starting a paper trail so filing a grievance was the right move. You feel that there is an issue and now they can’t say they didn’t know about it.

This was a power move by the supervisor. He can’t do much so he moves you off the belt and wait and see if your attitude improves.

That said, I feel you hit the nail on the head... as a loader... where you load is not preferred and they can send you wherever they want.

In some instances that I’ve seen in our hub... they will move loaders in your type of scenario off the belt permanently due to grieving and the obvious disagreement between supervisor and hourly. Good luck! Stay calm and just cover your arse.

Heyump

Thanks for the advice.
Staying calm is definitely the hardest part.
Do you think there's a case for the harassment?
It seems to me that the sudden displacement after the disagreement should be proof enough.

I'm calling my union today, I'll hash it out with them then.

I guess I was just wanting to hear the opinions of strangers about how the company is doing me wrong, haha.

RolloTony Brown Town

Thanks for the advice.
Staying calm is definitely the hardest part.
Do you think there's a case for the harassment?
It seems to me that the sudden displacement after the disagreement should be proof enough.

I'm calling my union today, I'll hash it out with them then.

I guess I was just wanting to hear the opinions of strangers about how the company is doing me wrong, haha.

Its difficult to prove harassment in general... nevermind in your instance.

You see it as harassment and have documentation which is good. They’ll move you and call it staffing needs blah blah blah.

It could work out in your favor but it’s a toss up. You may have faster success just trying to squash it with the supervisor.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
All work is technically preferred. If you want a job in the same work area and classification as someone else and you have more seniority, you're entitled to it.

Preferred is what you think is more desirable, not what mgmt thinks is more desirable.

over9five

Staff member
Maybe call OSHA? You brought up a legitimate safety concern and was immediately retaliated against.
Let us know what the union says.

Heyump

Thanks for all the replies, I suppose I should leave an update for the few interested people.
I returned to work today (on time) and was allowed to work my normal area, up until we reached maximum capacity. Once again, my sup came to me and instructed me to move to a different belt.
I complied and worked the rest of the night in my new area. Seniority was once again completely ignored. Saw my steward, and he gave me two semi filled grievance papers, and I just now finished filling them out. One harrassment and seniority violation for my part time, and one supervisor working for the big dawg fulltime, who I witnessed driving hardware today.

I called osha complaint line this morning, but unfortunately I could only leave a message.
I will follow up monday, with both actions.
I am fully prepared to leave this job with no regrets, but I will fight them tooth and nail until the end.
There are some real problems in my building that get swept under the rug, and If I can contribute to their unveiling, then I will do everything I can to do so.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Thanks for all the replies, I suppose I should leave an update for the few interested people.
I returned to work today (on time) and was allowed to work my normal area, up until we reached maximum capacity. Once again, my sup came to me and instructed me to move to a different belt.
I complied and worked the rest of the night in my new area. Seniority was once again completely ignored. Saw my steward, and he gave me two semi filled grievance papers, and I just now finished filling them out. One harrassment and seniority violation for my part time, and one supervisor working for the big dawg fulltime, who I witnessed driving hardware today.

I called osha complaint line this morning, but unfortunately I could only leave a message.
I am fully prepared to leave this job with no regrets, but I will fight them tooth and nail until the end.
There are some real problems in my building that get swept under the rug, and If I can contribute to their unveiling, then I will do everything I can to do so.
Filing a formal OSHA Complaint?

It sounds like you may be being harassed. It is not fair to have your work conditions changed simply because you want to follow company training, safety training, Company policies and or procedures.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

You can file an osha complaint online electronically. It hits Washington DC and is assigned to the office nearest your facility. Electronic signature it. You'll get a confirmation number. Log or screenshot it for duplicate documentation. Done deal. The osha agent will respond to your complaint in a few hours. Ask for an on site inspection. They (osha) will keep you involved since you filed.
Btw: our cba says they move people out of one work area by seniority/ ask then force. Look it up. Become a steward or alternate. Your fellow workers need you.

Dr.Brownz

I load, and sometimes when it's overflowing I have to close the chute (manual belt) and clean up the floor of the truck.
My part time sup got angry with me about it, had a full time top dawg come talk to me about it.
I made the point that our safety should be the priority, he agreed and that was that.

Now! Fast forward to today, one day later.
I arrived 30 minutes early, waited until start and was then told to leave my truck and go work another belt. I have been running this truck for the last 6 months, and now all of a sudden, after our disagreement I am being made to move.
Now I'm pretty sure loading isn't a preferred job in our building so I had to work as directed.
I complained a fair amount about it, got the shop steward involved some, but still had to finish the night out in a different area.

I know seniority doesn't apply, but I should mention I have more time than three others, and they were also running two new highers on the belt.
I'm grieving today, So I'm wondering what my grounds for grievances might be?
It definitely seems like harrassment, I was coyly told that the displacement was going to happen again and there is nothing I can do about it.
Grieve or leave the top dawg told me.
Thoughts? Advice?
I have been a loader for two years with no write ups so far

Just work at a safe pace and don't go faster when they yell at you. Say Ok and Ignore and they will move on when they see they can't affect you. You cannot be fired for production speed only for stealing time (basically not working) so just work slow and you'll be golden. It might be hard for a while but it will get better. Stay in contact with steward just in case

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
What article?
Art 3, section 11, Central Region
Screenshot_20190810-135108_UPSRising.jpg

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This is BS which is typical UPS operating procedure so either fight or cower. Better get used to it because it is going to be this way for your entire career. Let them know early that you will stand up for yourself and in the long run you will be better off.

check back