Retention bonus

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not to mention how great this job pays you! 10 bucks an hour for 3 hours of lifting boxes. Literally could go do anything else and be making just as much doing way less. And don't say some dumb over-used :censored2: like "then go work somewhere else". No. Shut your :censored2: up.
You got 2 choices
1. Go work somewhere else
2. Quit bitching
You’re welcome

Karma...

part timers have always subsidized full timers....thats why there are part timers.......both actually earn a combined wallet pay plus benefit pay which go to the union....that benefit pay includes pension money and medical which 90% of part timers will never stay long enough to ee.....but its still a cost to ups....once you go full time you can ride on the backs of the part timers........

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
part timers have always subsidized full timers....thats why there are part timers.......both actually earn a combined wallet pay plus benefit pay which go to the union....that benefit pay includes pension money and medical which 90% of part timers will never stay long enough to ee.....but its still a cost to ups....once you go full time you can ride on the backs of the part timers........
Most of the country the part time pension contribution does not go to the union as most part time employee would collect pension from UPS not the Teamsters. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Thebrownblob

Whoever heard of a Union shop with over half of their members being PT earning minimum wage with no benefits? And paying Union dues?
Whoever heard of a union shop we’re part time members have the guarantee of free healthcare for themselves and families, a pension, 7 weeks of vacation, paid holidays, overtime after 5 hours, guaranteed contractual yearly raises, contractual cost of living raises, and the opportunity to move into positions by seniority that pay upwards of six figures? Could be better? Yes. But they’re gonna have to fight for it by participating in the contract negotiations and vote. I was part time for almost seven years and never missed a vote.

Whoever heard of a union shop we’re part time members have the guarantee of free healthcare for themselves and families, a pension, 7 weeks of vacation, paid holidays, overtime after 5 hours, guaranteed contractual yearly raises, contractual cost of living raises, and the opportunity to move into positions by seniority that pay upwards of six figures? Could be better? Yes. But they’re gonna have to fight for it by participating in the contract negotiations and vote. I was part time for almost seven years and never missed a vote.
The old part-timers vote. Most of the new ones don't stick around long enough to care

PT Car Washer

Sounds good on paper but the reality is that very few PT make it to 7 weeks vacation let alone a pension. Most work for McDonald wages or less for 3 1/2 hours or less. Almost all of our new 22.4 drivers come from off the street as no one wants to be a delivery driver for $20/hr. The extra hourly wage and then the retention bonus was the only thing keeping them here. Division manager goes around on Friday nights begging people to double on the Midnight sort.

Whoever heard of a Union shop with over half of their members being PT earning minimum wage with no benefits? And paying Union dues?

I understand using hyperbole to stress your point, but to say that more than half of our workers are making minimum wage is pretty extreme. Even to say that half of PTers are making minimum wage is insane.

Thebrownblob

Sounds good on paper but the reality is that very few PT make it to 7 weeks vacation let alone a pension. Most work for McDonald wages or less for 3 1/2 hours or less. Almost all of our new 22.4 drivers come from off the street as no one wants to be a delivery driver for $20/hr. The extra hourly wage and then the retention bonus was the only thing keeping them here. Division manager goes around on Friday nights begging people to double on the Midnight sort.
interesting from a guy who’s been part time his whole career. If they make it or not is there choice. It doesn’t just sound good on paper, it is reality. If they want it they can have it, and more if they stay and fight for it. As a part-time employee I used to love people who quit just meant I got a double shift. I was making over 50K a year in the late 90s as a part-timer lol. The MRA was just that A temporary market rate adjustment. UPS feels the market has changed. I’m certain they’re wrong, but contractually $15 is the starting wage. At the very least they have tipped their hand on what they can afford next contract.

Last edited: