Retired 4/1/2019 UPS says I do not get retro pay

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Sounds like these folks are SOL

Most will be SOL because they won't pursue it.

The employer side labor attorney interviewed in that article was really slick with his statement. He did not comment at all about the legal aspect. His comment was about how the agreement is not a done deal.. lol yeah, no :censored2:! If the deal goes up in smoke then of course their would be no backpay because to have back pay you would need a new contract that goes into effect retroactively to 8/1/18... His comment on must be present to win is because he knows most people won't be aware of their rights.

I would imagine UPS will not go out of their way to pay separated employees but will pay the small percentage with the knowledge to pursue their owed backpay.

Last edited:

upschuck

Where do you see language that says you have to work after 4/29/19 to be entitled to pay owed on work from 8/1/18-4/28/19?
That is when it went into effect. Was any greviences file before then with language in the new contract that werent thrown out? No, because it wasnt governing our working conditions until all supplements and riders were approved. They are under no obligation to pay, if you didn't make it til end of April.

Believe what you want though.

Observer

You are entitled to retro pay - get your local involved - you've paid enough dues over the years. Your Center Manager does not work in payroll - shame on him for lying to you. If you don't get anywhere with your local - next step is your state's wage and hours division. No one should mess with your pay.

Redtag

That is when it went into effect. Was any greviences file before then with language in the new contract that werent thrown out? No, because it wasnt governing our working conditions until all supplements and riders were approved. They are under no obligation to pay, if you didn't make it til end of April.

Believe what you want though.

All economic gains are retroactive . Language changes are not for obvious reasons

Redtag

Ok, go ahead and spend that money.

I am not getting a retro check. I am a machinist not a teamster. Just pointing out that retroactive applies to anybody that worked during the period in question unless sperated employees are specifically excluded.

However, I am sure UPS will not go out of their way to notify those people that separated before 4/28/19.

upschuck

I am not getting a retro check. I am a machinist not a teamster. Just pointing out that retroactive applies to anybody that worked during the period in question unless sperated employees are specifically excluded.

However, I am sure UPS will not go out of their way to notify those people that separated before 4/28/19.
That explains a lot.

clean hairy

Suppose a stock will pay a big dividend for owners of record on April 29th.
A person sells the stock on April 20th.
Should the person who sold on the 20th be owed the big dividend?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

People didn’t get paid last time why would they this time?

Redtag

People didn’t get paid last time why would they this time?

Can you point to anything official from last time that says separated employees are excluded? I can't find anything on this issue except for rumors. I am sorry but stories of I know a guy in my center that did not get paid does not cut it for me.

In another thread a member posted a response he supposedly got from the union that told him he is entitled to Backpay and how to get it. The steps outlined made sense.

Several times in this thread I have said this and I will say it again.

UPS will not track down separated employees that are owed backpay. The former employee is on their own to chase it but UPS will pay those that send the certified letter and keep track of what is owed. The company does not want this to get to the state wage and labor depts. In some progressive states it can get very bad for companies found deliberately withholding earned wages .