Retired 4/1/2019 UPS says I do not get retro pay

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Can you point to anything official from last time that says separated employees are excluded? I can't find anything on this issue except for rumors. I am sorry but stories of I know a guy in my center that did not get paid does not cut it for me.

In another thread a member posted a response he supposedly got from the union that told him he is entitled to Backpay and how to get it. The steps outlined made sense.

Several times in this thread I have said this and I will say it again.

UPS will not track down separated employees that are owed backpay. The former employee is on their own to chase it but UPS will pay those that send the certified letter and keep track of what is owed. The company does not want this to get to the state wage and labor depts. In some progressive states it can get very bad for companies found deliberately withholding earned wages .
I can’t find anything that says they aren’t excluded. You’re using logic that makes 100% sense both ways or 0% sense both ways. So it doesn’t work.

Dr.Brownz

I retired 4/1/2019 with 31 years of service. I asked my Center Manager when would I receive my retro pay. His answer you wont as you were off the books when the contract was ratafied. I worked 8/2018 to 4/2019. I was absoultley stunned. He also said I would not receive the 5th Rover day. Should I fight this or just be happy I am out. Lakeshore Division in Upstate NY

Sue those bastards, get all the money. Even if you break even with legal fee's they will have to spend money on the lawyer and paying the retro pay.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I can’t find anything that says they aren’t excluded. You’re using logic that makes 100% sense both ways or 0% sense both ways. So it doesn’t work.

Just the part that says the economic gains are retroactive. Anyone who worked for the company after July 31st falls within the retroactive time frame. You can make an argument either way, but the people who say you don't qualify for back pay unless you worked under the new contract do so as if it were absolute, yet they offer no evidence to support their position.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just the part that says the economic gains are retroactive. Anyone who worked for the company after July 31st falls within the retroactive time frame. You can make an argument either way, but the people who say you don't qualify for back pay unless you worked under the new contract do so as if it were absolute, yet they offer no evidence to support their position.
It doesn’t become retroactive UNTIL the new contract is ratified. If you weren’t employed when it was ratified than you don’t get the retroactive part. Seems like a simple concept to me.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

They don't have to be included by language since they worked after 8/1/18 under the extension they are included naturally by being employed on those dates. There would have to be specific language stating that the separated employees are not entitled to retro pay.

The new contract lists a start date of 8/1/18 right on it's cover page.. It is stated that all economic improvements are retroactive until 8/1/18.

An attorney would have to review the terms of extension to be certain but so far I have seen nothing that would prevent separated employees from getting retro checks.

I have no skin in this game other than not wanting to see former employees get screwed. My opinion is based on the information I have seen, that's why I keep asking if somebody has seen the language that excludes them and if so please post it.

Last edited:

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

It's as if they are offended by the separated employees getting back pay.

Technically they did work under the new contract since it has a start date of 8/1/18

I am not an attorney and I don't have the terms of the extension. There is free professional advice people affected can seek out if needed. Some labor attorneys will give basic advice for free over the phone, they can call the state dept. of wage and labor

clean hairy

I retired 4/1/2019 with 31 years of service. I asked my Center Manager when would I receive my retro pay. His answer you wont as you were off the books when the contract was ratafied. I worked 8/2018 to 4/2019. I was absoultley stunned. He also said I would not receive the 5th Rover day. Should I fight this or just be happy I am out. Lakeshore Division in Upstate NY
Are you receiving the pension amount from the previous contract, or the higher amount from the new contract?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It doesn’t become retroactive UNTIL the new contract is ratified. If you weren’t employed when it was ratified than you don’t get the retroactive part. Seems like a simple concept to me.

You're just making stuff up, or you're confusing "ratified" with "going into effect". The contract was ratified in October. It went into effect 4/29. They can't establish an end date for the retroactive period until the contract goes into effect. Technically, the company should have been paying people their back pay as they quit, depending on their state law.

You're just making stuff up, or you're confusing "ratified" with "going into effect". The contract was ratified in October. It went into effect 4/29. They can't establish an end date for the retroactive period until the contract goes into effect. Technically, the company should have been paying people their back pay as they quit, depending on their state law.
And if there would have been a strike nobody would get any retro pay. The company had no way of knowing if the contract was truly going to pass

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
And if there would have been a strike nobody would get any retro pay. The company had no way of knowing if the contract was truly going to pass

As of when? It was imposed and ratified in October, no two ways about that. Sure, the supplements could have taken longer than 5 years to settle, but the master was a done deal.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If we went on strike nobody would have gotten a retro check. No way the union was letting they money slip through their hands.

Maybe I'm missing something? What does a strike have to do with the topic? How does a strike necessarily mean no retro pay? I get that we wouldn't be paid for the time while on strike. Employees who quit before implementation wouldn't be entitled to back pay for any time they didn't work either.

In the event of a strike, they would have to specify whether economic gains would be retroactive and from what point. Or if they didn't specify economic gains were retroactive, then we would just get the raises when the contract went into effect. But that would put a lot of pressure on the Union officials to keep the negotiations moving along so the contract implementation wouldn't take so long.

Maybe I'm missing something? What does a strike have to do with the topic? How does a strike necessarily mean no retro pay? I get that we wouldn't be paid for the time while on strike. Employees who quit before implementation wouldn't be entitled to back pay for any time they didn't work either.

In the event of a strike, they would have to specify whether economic gains would be retroactive and from what point. Or if they didn't specify economic gains were retroactive, then we would just get the raises when the contract went into effect. But that would put a lot of pressure on the Union officials to keep the negotiations moving along so the contract implementation wouldn't take so long.
If we went on strike the contract would have been null and void. No retro check

Maybe go to a union meeting sometime

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I know that's exactly what would have happened . Lots of people here got some nice raises and that is a lot of money in additional union dues.

How do you know that? What have they been saying at your union meetings? All of these things, that you are saying are absolute, are completely contingent on a hypothetical new round of negotiations. You've been watching too many Jamie Fleming videos. They could have thrown out the negotiated language and started from scratch, but I doubt they would have.

Also, what you're suggesting, implies that a strike would have given us less leverage. Not that a strike was ever going to happen.

Last edited:

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
That is your money
Fight for it
The raise was 8/1 18
You were working then