retired benefits major hike

vantexan

Well Mr. Vantexan rest assured when you get sick overseas you'll be booking the first flight back to the states. Going to the first hospital that can handle your individual case . And you will go up to registration and hand them your Medicare card. You see you keep expecting others to sacrifice in order to cut spending but you have never said a word about what you are personally willing to scacrifice in oder to do your fair share. It's always somebody else. Oh by the way talk to any economist and they will tell you that if the federal government including the federal reserve had not acted in the decisive and proactive manner in which they did in 2008 and 2009 unemployment would be over 20% and the banks would be nationalized.
Why will I be booking the next flight if I'm sick? I'll pay for it over there. I want the gov't to put the brakes on spending to save the various programs that are most needed. I paid into SS and Medicare all my working life and would like to get something out of them too just like you do. It's not my fault that both businessmen sending jobs overseas, and gov't trying to break the bank, as well as allowing millions in illegally to depress wages, doing all this to the point that the only choices we have for retirement are working until we drop, or move somewhere affordable. The country I'm moving to has a violent crime rate similar to Canada, has Europe's fastest internet, English is spoken widely, and a couple can live decently on $1000 a month. And after languishing in Communism for decades are pro-America and pro-capitalist. If the U.S. wants to immolate itself more power to it. I've got a chance to have a life FedEx won't provide.

vantexan

And P.S. If you prop up businesses and banks instead of letting them fail, they'll continue to act irresponsibly. When a lot of money, careers, and possible jail sentences are at stake, people tend to act more prudently.

bacha29

Mr. Vantexan I have every confidence that you will find lasting happiness living in the Democratic Republic of Turkmenistan and the people will welcome you with open arms as long as you keep voting for its president for life and can quickly come to terms with the fact that many of the services you take for granted in the U.S. may be in short supply where you're going and the ones that do exist may be of disappointing quantity and quality including healthcare.

vantexan

Mr. Vantexan I have every confidence that you will find lasting happiness living in the Democratic Republic of Turkmenistan and the people will welcome you with open arms as long as you keep voting for its president for life and can quickly come to terms with the fact that many of the services you take for granted in the U.S. may be in short supply where you're going and the ones that do exist may be of disappointing quantity and quality including healthcare.
Not even close. Hey, you might want to let Don'tThrowPackages know that there's no place like the USA, as well as the millions of Americans who are living overseas.

bacha29

First thing you'll have to do is to find a country that wants you. .Given the strong antiAmerican sentiment commonplace throughout the world there is no country especially foreign where you are safe. As an American you will be an easy target. Yes there are millions of Americans living overseas.Few if any have renounced their American citizenship in order to continue to collect entitlement benefits and you will do the same . You're not fooling anybody.

vantexan

First thing you'll have to do is to find a country that wants you. .Given the strong antiAmerican sentiment commonplace throughout the world there is no country especially foreign where you are safe. As an American you will be an easy target. Yes there are millions of Americans living overseas.Few if any have renounced their American citizenship in order to continue to collect entitlement benefits and you will do the same . You're not fooling anybody.
Where do you get this stuff? If'n and suppose'n don't make it so. Why would I renounce my citizenship? And I have paid into Social Security my entire working life, why would I not want to take what's rightfully mine? It's a major component of my retirement. You know what your problem is? You want a big government to control everyone and can't stand anyone "beating" the system. Do you really think everyone should stay in the States and just accept hardship? As I recall our ancestors came here for something better. I bet they'd leave if the U.S. was no longer a good deal. Romania is the country by the way. And no, it's not perfect, not by a long shot. But it has some very attractive qualities. One of a number of countries where one can have a decent retirement on much less than they can in the States.

bacha29

it's a little word called hypocrisy. You rail on and on about the evils of government social program spending but at the same time you've got your hand out wanting every dollar you can get from the very programs you condemn so viciously including the people who are doing exactly the same thing you are or will soon be doing. Just what in your opinion makes what they are doing so unjust but makes what your doing so virtuous. WHEN YOU"RE BOTH DOING THE SAME DAMN THING! As for Romania, Putin has made it clear his intention of recreating the old Soviet block empire including regaining control over the Balkans and he doesn't care if they're part of NATO now or not. Need an example: Ukraine and the Crimea. And part of NATO's clearly stated battlefield strategy calls for the use of tactical (battlefield) nuclear weapons if in the event convential forces can't stop the Russians. If you want to go over fine, I couldn't care less. But 10 years from now you find yourself smack dab in the middle of World War III you were warned. Absurd you might say. Communism is an ideology that will never die in that part of the world and Putin knows it and the insurgency he has sneeked into Ukraine will continue to make life so miserable for the citizens the nation will in the end capitulate allowing him to seek out opportunities in neighboring countries. If the quality of life over there is in your opinion worth the risks, fine. But don't simply assume that you will always be able to come back to the good old U.S.A. if things go south over there. Beside if your forecast holds true America will be broke and unable to send any more benefit checks over to you anyway

vantexan

it's a little word called hypocrisy. You rail on and on about the evils of government social program spending but at the same time you've got your hand out wanting every dollar you can get from the very programs you condemn so viciously including the people who are doing exactly the same thing you are or will soon be doing. Just what in your opinion makes what they are doing so unjust but makes what your doing so virtuous. WHEN YOU"RE BOTH DOING THE SAME DAMN THING! As for Romania, Putin has made it clear his intention of recreating the old Soviet block empire including regaining control over the Balkans and he doesn't care if they're part of NATO now or not. Need an example: Ukraine and the Crimea. And part of NATO's clearly stated battlefield strategy calls for the use of tactical (battlefield) nuclear weapons if in the event convential forces can't stop the Russians. If you want to go over fine, I couldn't care less. But 10 years from now you find yourself smack dab in the middle of World War III you were warned. Absurd you might say. Communism is an ideology that will never die in that part of the world and Putin knows it and the insurgency he has sneeked into Ukraine will continue to make life so miserable for the citizens the nation will in the end capitulate allowing him to seek out opportunities in neighboring countries. If the quality of life over there is in your opinion worth the risks, fine. But don't simply assume that you will always be able to come back to the good old U.S.A. if things go south over there. Beside if your forecast holds true America will be broke and unable to send any more benefit checks over to you anyway
I can say this until I'm blue in the face, you just don't get it. Hypocrisy? I paid into a system that's independent of the national debt. I'm not holding my hand out for anything that doesn't belong to me, I PAID FOR IT JUST LIKE YOU DID. How am I going to collect on all the other entitlements? I won't even be here. Get this through your thick skull. I want leadership that'll do whatever's possible to improve the economy and pay down the debt. Entitlements are fine if we can pay for them. If we can't they'll have to be reduced or eliminated. By the way so far Putin has only gone into areas with large ethnic Russian populations. The man is too smart to risk WWIII.

bacha29

First of all , wars are the product of miscalculation Next many of the people who you believe are not worthy of the very same benefits you will be seeking may very well have paid in also. Next if you retire at 66 you will have drawn out your entire social security contribution by the time you are age 69 (look it up) leaving the people in the good old USA to keep the system going for you.Like you yourself said about Putin SO FAR he has only gone into certain areas. But these were independent nations with their own governments You know ,Ukraine. Crimea Georgia. If you want to stake your future on the hope that Tsar Putin (for life) will behave himself, fine by me. Then again like YOU said the entitlement system will collapse
someday . So plan for the day when you come to discover that the Romanian bank you do business with bounced your Social Security check due to an insolvent S.S. fund. Again this is what you are certain is going to happen, or a nationalized Romanian bank system under Russian control refused to accept the check due to the severing of diplomatic relations between U.S. and Russia.Anyway glad to see that another radical conservative hypocrite is going to a foreign country where he can preach the evils of the United States while drawing a benefit check from that very same evil nation.

overflowed

Bacha29 he won't stop and it seems you won't either. Can we all just get along? Van is a decent person and I didn't always like his views. His views are different from yours, hell different from mine. This is what used to make our country great.

bacha29

I wish somebody would tell what Romania has to offer. It's adult literacy rate ranks 45th in the world. Only 7% of the population speaks English as it's primary language. It's entire history is all about one war after another but today has an Army of only 75,000 facing down Putin. It's health care system is state run. Of it's 463 hospitals, 438 are state owned. It has only 6.1 hospital beds. for every 1000 of it's population. It's ObamaCare East. Cases of TB, STD and hepatitis are higher than the rest of Europe. Nearly 10% of it's doctors leave the country every year. 5 times greater than neighboring countries.It only has 41,000 miles of paved roads. In 2008 the IMF had to lend it billions inorder to keep it's econmy from collapsing. The average wage is about $850 a month U.S. equivalant . Some of it's banks are still state owned and 40% of it's total bank owned assets are foreign based. The government is trying hard to get all of the surrounding Balkan nations once part of the Warsaw Pact in with NATO and Putin simply will not sit back and watch NATO forces setting up shop in his back yard . Everyone wants a retirement utopia and I want to see van find his but the more you study the demographics of the place the worse it looks and history shows that every time a war breaks out in Europe it starts in the Balkans and Putin will continue to seek out every weakness in the NATO alliance and try to exploit it.

vantexan

I wish somebody would tell what Romania has to offer. It's adult literacy rate ranks 45th in the world. Only 7% of the population speaks English as it's primary language. It's entire history is all about one war after another but today has an Army of only 75,000 facing down Putin. It's health care system is state run. Of it's 463 hospitals, 438 are state owned. It has only 6.1 hospital beds. for every 1000 of it's population. It's ObamaCare East. Cases of TB, STD and hepatitis are higher than the rest of Europe. Nearly 10% of it's doctors leave the country every year. 5 times greater than neighboring countries.It only has 41,000 miles of paved roads. In 2008 the IMF had to lend it billions inorder to keep it's econmy from collapsing. The average wage is about $850 a month U.S. equivalant . Some of it's banks are still state owned and 40% of it's total bank owned assets are foreign based. The government is trying hard to get all of the surrounding Balkan nations once part of the Warsaw Pact in with NATO and Putin simply will not sit back and watch NATO forces setting up shop in his back yard . Everyone wants a retirement utopia and I want to see van find his but the more you study the demographics of the place the worse it looks and history shows that every time a war breaks out in Europe it starts in the Balkans and Putin will continue to seek out every weakness in the NATO alliance and try to exploit it.
OK, let's explain some things to you. Romania's average pay is low, thus low costs. Rents are low, utilities low, groceries low. You see, in order for you to be happy you have to live where everything is expensive. Problem is when you retire everything will still be expensive, but most likely you won't have the income you have now. Romania is about half the size of Texas, and isn't nearly as developed, but the 41,000 miles of roads work for it. By the way, average salaries in Bucharest, the capital, are closer to $650 a month, lower in other cities. Speaking of which Romania has a group of 7 cities in Transylvania built centuries ago by Germans that are very beautiful. Romanians speak Romanian, a Latin based Romance language, but many also are bilingual, even trilingual. English is the most common 2nd language, about 35% of the population speak it. American movies are shown in modern multiplex theaters in English. Also every city has at least one peasant market that carries a huge amount of fresh produce at what would be considered giveaway prices here. Not bland supermarket produce, but fresh picked from the farm. Romania has Europe's fastest internet speeds. 9 of the world's top 15 cities for fastest internet are in Romania. That means I can watch American TV on USTVNOW.com with no buffering. Romania has Europe's largest wilderness area with the largest populations of brown bears and wolves left in Europe. The natural world, from the Carpathian Mountains to the Danube Delta, is very beautiful. The violent crime rate is only slightly worse than Canada, the safest country in the Western Hemisphere. As far as Putin is concerned, so what? What is the value of attacking Romania? Seriously, what is to be gained? Putin isn't Hitler or Stalin. There will be plenty of attention given to Russia by all the various monitoring bodies and if anything is worrisome we can always leave. As I've already pointed out Romania is far from perfect. Millions of Romanians have left seeking employment elsewhere. They have hot summers and seriously cold winters. It's no utopia. But I'll take it at 55 over working into my 70's to make rich guys richer. YMMV!

vantexan

First of all , wars are the product of miscalculation Next many of the people who you believe are not worthy of the very same benefits you will be seeking may very well have paid in also. Next if you retire at 66 you will have drawn out your entire social security contribution by the time you are age 69 (look it up) leaving the people in the good old USA to keep the system going for you.Like you yourself said about Putin SO FAR he has only gone into certain areas. But these were independent nations with their own governments You know ,Ukraine. Crimea Georgia. If you want to stake your future on the hope that Tsar Putin (for life) will behave himself, fine by me. Then again like YOU said the entitlement system will collapse
someday . So plan for the day when you come to discover that the Romanian bank you do business with bounced your Social Security check due to an insolvent S.S. fund. Again this is what you are certain is going to happen, or a nationalized Romanian bank system under Russian control refused to accept the check due to the severing of diplomatic relations between U.S. and Russia.Anyway glad to see that another radical conservative hypocrite is going to a foreign country where he can preach the evils of the United States while drawing a benefit check from that very same evil nation.
Where did I ever say anyone receiving the same benefits as I aren't worthy but I am? Seriously, do you read? Secondly, name one investment program that's designed to only give you what you put into it? And I'm confused, are you against Social Security? If so why? I think it's the best idea the Democrats ever came up with. And I'm not against helping the truly needy. What I've been saying is that our government has spent too much, wasted too much, skimmed too much, putting us on the brink of financial disaster. Why anyone would think we can just keep spending more than we take in forever with no bad consequences is beyond me. By the way, while in Romania I'll draw funds from my U.S. bank account through ATM's. You really should learn a few things about how things work before ridiculing others. Makes you look ignorant. 40 Trillion, ha!

bacha29

Best of luck. Yes this nation has wasted and squandered. But I'll stay here and do everything I can to make things better and will do so until my death. It's called citizenship I'm not run ning off to another country .You talked about the impending downfall of the U.S. financial system while in the same breath talk about withdrawing money from a U.S. bank. According to you it's not going to be there. Let's hope that it holds together because based on the facts I wouldn't put a dime in a Romanian bank either. How come you never said anything about the great Romanian health care system. It is state run and the numbers speak for themselves. So have fun but don't get sick and be sure to check everyday to see if the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation still has enough reserves to guarantee your money.Oh and those trucks that go by your place hauling something under tarps. Those are missles the U.S. in installing in your new country part of the air defense system designed to help keep Putin off your back courtesy of the American taxpayers.

vantexan

Best of luck. Yes this nation has wasted and squandered. But I'll stay here and do everything I can to make things better and will do so until my death. It's called citizenship I'm not run ning off to another country .You talked about the impending downfall of the U.S. financial system while in the same breath talk about withdrawing money from a U.S. bank. According to you it's not going to be there. Let's hope that it holds together because based on the facts I wouldn't put a dime in a Romanian bank either. How come you never said anything about the great Romanian health care system. It is state run and the numbers speak for themselves. So have fun but don't get sick and be sure to check everyday to see if the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation still has enough reserves to guarantee your money.Oh and those trucks that go by your place hauling something under tarps. Those are missles the U.S. in installing in your new country part of the air defense system designed to help keep Putin off your back courtesy of the American taxpayers.
You have a rich fantasy life. I'm not concerned about Romania's public healthcare system because they also have private hospitals with competant doctors and affordable prices. And per my bank where else am I going to have my pension checks deposited? You get the best exchange rates through ATM's by the way. And here's a news flash: the U.S. is a free country. That means I'm free to live wherever I want. And if I decide someday that Romania isn't for me there are at least a dozen countries I'm interested in worth considering. There are thousands of Brits living next door in Bulgaria by the way. FedEx ripped us off on our pensions and pay. I'm trying to provide the best retirement possible for my wife and I with the little means I have after too many years working for this company. Modern communications means in your home you can pretty much have the U.S. no matter where you live. It's not worth it to me to work until I'm 64 to finally top out, assuming FedEx keeps it's word with the new pay system, a pretty big if. So criticize all you want, if you find yourself struggling to make ends meet and your retirement looks bleak, at least after reading this you know there are options, something most Americans don't know or are too timid to try.

fedupforsure

I do not understand how this thread about Fedex raising retirees benefit costs by 50 bucks a month to a frickin gov debate. this is on freddy and only freddy

vin059

I was just informed that health insurance rates for us retired goes up 50 bucks a month starting in January. Im not a happy camper
Update...fedup was right....just got an insurance statement in the mail today....my insurance went up from $393 to $444/month....thanks Fred....

bacha29

I wish Vantexan had told me at the very beginning that his was one of the pension plans that Smith disembowled right at the very outset. I would understood why he is looking for a lower cost of living. Let's face it, Xpress is a service that's becoming too expensive to operate so who do you go after? Most defenseless ones. Retirees. I'll bet that in the near future old Freddy wil try to do the same thing the airlines did. Dump the pension into the lap of the PBGC. Moreover, given the premium
your quoted, Xpress must not be contributing anything anymore.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Update...fedup was right....just got an insurance statement in the mail today....my insurance went up from $393 to $444/month....thanks Fred....
Rest assured Fred did it because he (cough) cares about YOU. Forget the fact that when Matt Thornton and Dave Bronzcek retire they will be paying $0.00 for a much superior plan.