Retired!

rod

Retired 22 years
If I remember correctly....

It was like $5 $6 or $7 (you had a choice) and it was like 22% interest, until the

government shut them down. I can't remember why.

And congratulations @Vendor
My memories of it (granted I'm OLD) is that you were allowed 6 bucks a week max and there were a few years in the 20% payoff range. Then it was UPS who change the rules (imagine that) and the plan was maxed out at something like 12 - 15 % after that.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
OPL was set up in Bermuda and used as insurance to pay for damaged packages is the way I remember it. When the Thrift Plan was done away with, I bought some UPS Stock at $25 a share and it doubled when it went public. I put that in an IRA and bought some mutual funds at that time.

You remember it correctly. OPL involved insuring and paying for damaged packages.

For every 4 shares of UPS stock bought at $25/share, 1 of those was supposed to be OPL.

That's about when the IRS stepped in and started an investigation of UPS for tax evasion and a few other charges, scam comes to mind, involving OPL.

Since the Thrift Plan was a retirement plan, no taxes on interest until withdrawn, the stock purchased needed to go into a rollover IRA.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You remember it correctly. OPL involved insuring and paying for damaged packages.

For every 4 shares of UPS stock bought at $25/share, 1 of those was supposed to be OPL.

That's about when the IRS stepped in and started an investigation of UPS for tax evasion and a few other charges, scam comes to mind, involving OPL.

Since the Thrift Plan was a retirement plan, no taxes on interest until withdrawn, the stock purchased needed to go into a rollover IRA.
I only had about a grand in the thrift plan. It was converted to stock but not in an IRA. Maybe under a certain dollar amount it didn't have to be.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I thought that was later and cash cods then went away. That was well after the strike if I remember correctly.
Overseas Partners Limited was set up as a way to buy extra insurance when shipping packages, it has nothing to do with CODs. OPL was set up in Bermuda to avoid taxes, that's why the IRS went after it. Courts later decided that it was legal, but it was shut down anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a guy who put all his Thrift Plan money into OPL stock and not UPS stock. He came to regret that decision.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Overseas Partners Limited was set up as a way to buy extra insurance when shipping packages, it has nothing to do with CODs. OPL was set up in Bermuda to avoid taxes, that's why the IRS went after it. Courts later decided that it was legal, but it was shut down anyway.
Maybe. Maybe not. Notice none of the "partners" are chiming in? Lol.