Retiree healthcare vs open market ??

Vette51

Curious what the consensus is on the two. Retiree healthcare is 400.00 a month for a couple for security basically, the healthcare doesnt seem to be very good or cover much. One of the best open market plan is about 475 a month as far as I can see and that covers 1 dependent. Has anyone researched or have an educated opinion ? Thinking of not waiting til I'm 55 and leaving at 54.

rod

Retired 22 years
Curious what the consensus is on the two. Retiree healthcare is 400.00 a month for a couple for security basically, the healthcare doesnt seem to be very good or cover much. One of the best open market plan is about 475 a month as far as I can see and that covers 1 dependent. Has anyone researched or have an educated opinion ? Thinking of not waiting til I'm 55 and leaving at 54.
I assume $400 don't include dental and vision? If it does its a bargain at that price. $400 for a couple just for health and prescriptions is still a good deal.

oldngray

nowhere special
I assume $400 don't include dental and vision? If it does its a bargain at that price. $400 for a couple just for health and prescriptions is still a good deal.
My retiree plan (not Teamcare) costs $150/month for just me and includes dental and vision.

rod

Retired 22 years
My retiree plan (not Teamcare) costs $150/month for just me and includes dental and vision.
I think they are talking full insurance--not just a supplement along with Medicare. ? I only pay $35 a month for my BLUE Cross supplement but that's because my prescriptions are through the VA. Thats good for 2 dental cleanings and checkups a year but no other dental work and no vision.

rod

Retired 22 years
For 4 years after I lost my Teamster insurance until the wife got on Medicare we were paying $900 a month just for her.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think they are talking full insurance--not just a supplement along with Medicare. ? I only pay $35 a month for my BLUE Cross supplement but that's because my prescriptions are through the VA. Thats good for 2 dental cleanings and checkups a year but no other dental work and no vision.
I am talking full insurance. I get 2 cleanings a year 100% paid and its about 80% for the rest. Vision is covered too but not that good. I haven't been kicked off to Medicare yet. And if he is in his 50's he won't be on Medicare either.

rod

Retired 22 years
I am talking full insurance. I get 2 cleanings a year 100% paid and its about 80% for the rest. Vision is covered too but not that good. I haven't been kicked off to Medicare yet. And if he is in his 50's he won't be on Medicare either.
I get where you are coming from now--I think. When I retired I paid 50 bucks a month (that included both of us). By the time I was 65 and got on Medicare the Teamster Ins. was up to $125 a month---still a bargain.

Vette51

I used the affordable care act marketplace and If I remember correctly the bcbs gold plan was about 475 a month after the $1k federal subsidy. And it was based on a high 50k pension.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
For 4 years after I lost my Teamster insurance until the wife got on Medicare we were paying $900 a month just for her.

I presume that you lost your (Teamster Insurance) when you turned 65 after retiring. I am under the assumption that your wife would of been still covered under the your Teamster's retirement medical formula till she reaches medicare age. Was that 900 per month under your Teamster's retirement package or a private one?:nervoussmiley:

rod

Retired 22 years
I presume that you lost your (Teamster Insurance) when you turned 65 after retiring. I am under the assumption that your wife would of been still covered under the your Teamster's retirement medical formula till she reaches medicare age. Was that 900 per month under your Teamster's retirement package or a private one?:nervoussmiley:
Nope- in Central States when you turn 65 you lose all coverage so anyone that was covered under your policy is canceled to

clean hairy

Southern at this time, if you are 60 and your wife is 50, you lose teamster coverage at 65.
Your wife can keep the teamster coverage until she reaches age 65.
I could be mistaken but believe this to be correct.

Wilco700

Very interesting how different regions have different insurance options. I retired in 2004 under Golden 80 plan in Southern California. Pension is provided by WCT. At that time, we paid $50 monthly for same coverage we had while working. When I turned 65, had to switch to Medicare. I believe at that time the monthly premium had increased to $300 monthly over the last few contracts. Was a real sticker shock! I'm trying to decide if it would be more affordable to switch to a supplement and drop the UPS (Aetna) policy. However, having coverage for Dental and Vision is definitely a plus with UPS coverage. We've had many providers tell us we have GREAT coverage for those services. I think it would be nice to have a more uniform coverage for retirees across the states, but it is what it is.

35years

Gravy route
I get where you are coming from now--I think. When I retired I paid 50 bucks a month (that included both of us). By the time I was 65 and got on Medicare the Teamster Ins. was up to $125 a month---still a bargain.
That was a while ago.
$125 is up to $400 for a couple in your area now, double that If you have dependants. And I have been told it is going up.

Those under 65 have to factor that in when considering retiring early.

Shiftless

Very interesting how different regions have different insurance options. I retired in 2004 under Golden 80 plan in Southern California. Pension is provided by WCT. At that time, we paid $50 monthly for same coverage we had while working. When I turned 65, had to switch to Medicare. I believe at that time the monthly premium had increased to $300 monthly over the last few contracts. Was a real sticker shock! I'm trying to decide if it would be more affordable to switch to a supplement and drop the UPS (Aetna) policy. However, having coverage for Dental and Vision is definitely a plus with UPS coverage. We've had many providers tell us we have GREAT coverage for those services. I think it would be nice to have a more uniform coverage for retirees across the states, but it is what it is.
I retired 2005 same plan!

Here is what happened to a long time friend and driver who retired under the same plan as ours.

His wife mostly manages their monies and insurance and she talked him into taking her off the Aetna UPS plan. There are
plans much cheaper she says for her. He thought it wasn't a good idea but went along with it.

BIG PROBLEM! 2 years later she needed to start a set of drugs not covered by her new insurance provider. Now they are paying 2.5 times what Aetna was per month just for her drugs, plus the monthly insurance fee. The next stage of life's drug change is biting them in Bung Hole. Once you drop? YOU ARE DONE! NO COME BACKS!

I guess the best thing to tell anyone reading this, before you jump off the Aetna plan do your due diligence with reading the fine print on any thing retirement or health related!

Wilco700

For anyone wanting to know your options after 65 and whether to consider a Medicare advantage plan instead of your UPS insurance as secondary to medicare, this is a good breakdown in the cost of some of those plans, so you can weigh the plus and minuses.

Attachments

• Medicare Advantage Plans.pdf
    547.2 KB · Views: 108
For anyone wanting to know your options after 65 and whether to consider a Medicare advantage plan instead of your UPS insurance as secondary to medicare, this is a good breakdown in the cost of some of those plans, so you can weigh the plus and minuses.
UPS insurances and cover you after you reach age 65