Retirees: What Are The Expenses You Didn't Count On For Retirement?

The Milkman

I have been retired for 5 years now. I was doing good with my retirement pay. But now that the working UPSer's voted for the new contract. My health insurance is crap. They should of left our insurance alone. I feel UPS betrayed all the retirees.

I feel your pain

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have been retired for 5 years now. I was doing good with my retirement pay. But now that the working UPSer's voted for the new contract. My health insurance is crap. They should of left our insurance alone. I feel UPS betrayed all the retirees.

Most of us vote on what effects us. We never had 50 a month health coverage.

The Milkman

Most of us vote on what effects us. We never had 50 a month health coverage.

Us retirees had a $50 a month plan because that is what we were told IF WE switched to the NEW PLAN years ago we would have upon our retirement. Because YOU never had that low of a cost is more than likely your locals doing over the years. Local 177 got us that benefit, and when we retired WE were expecting that monthly charge along with other GREAT benefits that we enjoyed while still active would carry us through to age 65, only to now have 20% copays on doctor visits, medications, and a yearly deductible ...None of which we had with our OLD negotiated plan as we retired. I know I know many locals pay a lot more..but that is not our fault, we voted in our locals which affected us.........now the currently employed stuck it to us.
need no sympathy from all of you just telling it like it is, was and will be down the road.....for all of you who follow us retirees

beentheredonethat

I get your upset, but with any contract their are negotiations by both sides. The teamsters supported and voted on this contract and the master passed. Whenever mgmt complains about a portion of the contract, it's pretty unanimous that the teamsters say that "UPS signed it or UPS agreed to the contract". Why isn't this true in the reverse? Why aren't you upset with the teamsters and not UPS. We all know, there is a certain amount of money available and the decision is mainly how to divide it up and to an extent can more money be available. I'm sure if the teamsters proposed lower wages or even high insurance costs for actives UPS would take on more cost for retirees if it was cost neutral. But that's not what the active teamsters negotiated and voted on.

By The Book

. If the way current members vote has a negative impact on retiree healthcare, they are only cutting their own throats. I would of accepted little to no raises to keep/shore up the pension and healthcare.

The Milkman

. If the way current members vote has a negative impact on retiree healthcare, they are only cutting their own throats. I would of accepted little to no raises to keep/shore up the pension and healthcare.

You are soooo Right on...I was always for a small raise or none at contract time to keep benefits at a good level.. I always thought I made a decent living wage, and the benefits when I started at age 30 made me feel a sense of security,as the future was more important than 50 cents more an hour at contract time...yes cutting their own throats while Ups continues to make Billions year after year........

Xexys

Retired and Happy
At any point had you thought about giving him all of the proceeds from the sale of the home in lieu of losing 1/2 of your pension and 401k?

I only lost 16% of my pension as we were only married for my first 8 years at UPS. The formula New York uses is double the number of years married while at UPS up to a maximum of 50(%). She took half of my 401k balance on the date of our divorce.

Resident no-wit-at-all.

If you had a good relationship with your ex, do you think you might've been able to do your divorce via the internet? Draw up the conditions yourself and then go to court. You might have been able to persuade her to take less. Just saying...

Make sure you click on expanding UpState's post.

You are soooo Right on...I was always for a small raise or none at contract time to keep benefits at a good level.. I always thought I made a decent living wage, and the benefits when I started at age 30 made me feel a sense of security,as the future was more important than 50 cents more an hour at contract time...yes cutting their own throats while Ups continues to make Billions year after year........
I voted no, unfortunately....many others didnt.....:pouting:

By The Book

Don't get me wrong I want ups to be profitable and around for many more years but this contract will be talked about for years. There are a lot of concessions that affect more people in the pocketbook, or shall I say pay out of your own pocket than ever before. There was a rush to push this thru and the members didn't have a chance, if what happened to a few locals is any indication.

Don't get me wrong I want ups to be profitable and around for many more years but this contract will be talked about for years. There are a lot of concessions that affect more people in the pocketbook, or shall I say pay out of your own pocket than ever before. There was a rush to push this thru and the members didn't have a chance, if what happened to a few locals is any indication.
Our voice was taken away.....friend..HOFFA

JL 0513

Why should a company have to give you any coverage after you retire? The only ones that do are union of course. And those companies often struggle to continue the benefit (Post Office, automakers, ect...).

Excuse me for taking the business side but I always do. No business, no employees, = no money at all.

UPS better be making billions. I'd be concerned if they weren't. Anyone here want UPS to just barely profit? Or to lose billions like the USPS? UPS is a huge company, "billions" isn't as big as it may seem. Hell, Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) made $1.6 billion on Thursday alone ($200,000,000.00 per hour based on 8 hr day). He's now worth $33B.