Retirement resources

35years

Gravy route
For those in the IBT/UPS pension (Central States fund replacement):
UPS Enterprise Portal Log In
-under the "my HR" tab click retirement and savings
-click "retirement calculator"
-click the highlighted link for the retirement calculator.

This will automatically log you in to the calculator. You can run a single scenario calculation (one retirement date) or a 3 date calculation. The single scenario calculation yields more information.

The calculator will show the greater of two ways your pension is calculated..
1-A 25, 30 or 35 and out pension
2-And a accrual type pension which gives credit for all years worked (Age 62 for a full pension, otherwise reduced by 6% each year under 62).

The difference for me retiring at 56 vs 62 was $3,500 a month vs $5,100+ a month.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a feeling this is going to get just about as many responses as my "Factory Recall" thread. Nice try though

35years

Gravy route
I have a feeling this is going to get just about as many responses as my "Factory Recall" thread. Nice try though
I was amazed using the Vangaurd calculator how little increasing my future retirement savings impacted my total retirement resources compared to SS and the pension.

-My wife and my SS yields about 37% of my $90,000 current salary.$3,300 month.
-My pensions yield about 60% of my current salary. $5,400 month.
-Even if I save 15% of my future income at 5% return, my retirement income only increases $500 a month.

That pension ends up being the equivalent of having already saved 1.1 million. 401k match instead of pension?...Not appealing.

I was amazed using the Vangaurd calculator how little increasing my future retirement savings impacted my total retirement resources compared to SS and the pension.

-My wife and my SS yields about 37% of my $90,000 current salary.$3,300 month.
-My pensions yield about 60% of my current salary. $5,400 month.
-Even if I save 15% of my future income at 5% return, my retirement income only increases $500 a month.

That pension ends up being the equivalent of having already saved 1.1 million. 401k match instead of pension?...Not appealing.
The Prudential site also has some nice calculators.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm still way ahead in the number of postings in my "Factory Recall" thread----the greatest thread ever posted to BC.