Return to work or request time off

Concretion

I recently had a accident at home that fractured my left ring finger. I'm wearing a finger splint and restricted up to 5 lbs. on the left hand. I was told by my supervisor that they wouldn't require me to work when I had a 1 lb. restriction. So I'm trying to apply for FMLA and short term disability. The physician staff states that I can return to work with my restriction. My question is has anyone else at UPS experienced this type of injury and went back to work. My position is a hub sorter. Required to lift various weights of package? What can I do?
Please advise

quad decade guy

I would go back to work.

I'm assuming this is a company doctor.....a little vague on that. Have you been approved by the company back to work?

Show up and you will know.

Yes, I'm insinuating you will work one handed......yes, realize the problems.

In my experience, anyone injured at home or such just had to wait until they were 100%.

Your DR. would have to fill out the FMLA stuff......does he realize what you do for work?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
You've probably got it figured out by now, but you are probably not eligible for FMLA with a broken ring finger.
Look at the Dept. of Labor FMLA application and explanation for each block you fill out.

There is a Temporary Assignment of Work (TAW) that can be given (not guaranteed unless its in your CBA) regardless of where you were injured.
T/W supervisor and HR and or BA if necessary. The Dr. only gets involved if the Company needs information which you authorize release of.

Concretion

I would go back to work.

I'm assuming this is a company doctor.....a little vague on that. Have you been approved by the company back to work?

Show up and you will know.

Yes, I'm insinuating you will work one handed......yes, realize the problems.

In my experience, anyone injured at home or such just had to wait until they were 100%.

Your DR. would have to fill out the FMLA stuff......does he realize what you do for work?
No the doctor is a private doctor, but I was injured at work many years ago and UPS found this doctor to repair my shoulder injury. I continue to see this doctor for any bone problems. My doctor visit yesterday has reminded me of how difficult medical staff and doctors can be for the hoops they want you to follow. Doctor told me don't be questioning my staff about the paperwork. At least my paperwork has been finally faxed by me. This is life nowadays during a pandemic.

Concretion

No the doctor is a private doctor, but I was injured at work many years ago and UPS found this doctor to repair my shoulder injury. I continue to see this doctor for any bone problems. My doctor visit yesterday has reminded me of how difficult medical staff and doctors can be for the hoops they want you to follow. Doctor told me don't be questioning my staff about the paperwork. At least my paperwork has been finally faxed by me. This is life nowadays during a pandemic.
My experience to my understanding is you must be 100% Thanks for your reply.

cachmeifucan

When hurt at work or home make sure the note says. No standing or sitting or walking for long periods of time. Must have bed rest gets you out of taw.

quad decade guy

You've probably got it figured out by now, but you are probably not eligible for FMLA with a broken ring finger.
Look at the Dept. of Labor FMLA application and explanation for each block you fill out.

There is a Temporary Assignment of Work (TAW) that can be given (not guaranteed unless its in your CBA) regardless of where you were injured.
T/W supervisor and HR and or BA if necessary. The Dr. only gets involved if the Company needs information which you authorize release of.
Why in the world would UPS grant TAW? A non-work related injury? Again, "come back when you are healthy....."

Though not the same....I guess? I've seen several feeder guys get yard shifting after DUI's.....I don't know if it is classified as such. And is negotiated with the local. Actually know of a guy getting 2 DUI's....

TAW around here is to try and not record injuries....a work around.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Why in the world would UPS grant TAW? A non-work related injury? Again, "come back when you are healthy....."

Though not the same....I guess? I've seen several feeder guys get yard shifting after DUI's.....I don't know if it is classified as such. And is negotiated with the local. Actually know of a guy getting 2 DUI's....

TAW around here is to try and not record injuries....a work around.
I gave TAW before when I was a center manager…
We didn’t play those injury games. We give TAW to get something productive if possible.
Not to friend with anyone.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I recently had a accident at home that fractured my left ring finger. I'm wearing a finger splint and restricted up to 5 lbs. on the left hand. I was told by my supervisor that they wouldn't require me to work when I had a 1 lb. restriction. So I'm trying to apply for FMLA and short term disability. The physician staff states that I can return to work with my restriction. My question is has anyone else at UPS experienced this type of injury and went back to work. My position is a hub sorter. Required to lift various weights of package? What can I do?
Please advise
Years ago, was pt, i broke the same finger. Just taped it up, no big deal. Pain and swelling got worse and worse over the next few days that i actually went in to the walk in clinic (Very out of character for me). Was broken and there was a large infection on the bone. Said if it got much worse theyd have to amputate. They perscribed me some hardcore antibiotics for the infection, i said :censored2: that. Maybe a week later, im doing pullups, and puss just starts pouring out from under that fingernail. Felt so good, that finger was swollen huge, kept squeezing the :censored2: out till it looked normal. Still got the finger, never missed a min of work, or life.