Returning From Military Leave/Service...

Bolshevik

I should be returning from military leave in late January, around the 30. I had requested a return date of 02/02/20 but Aetna gave me unti 02/20/20, not sure why they extended my leave without me asking.

My main question is vacation/leave after returning to UPS. I remember being told that when on active duty orders, you accumulate 1 week of UPS vacation for every month of service. Is this accurate? Also, since there will be a 2-3 week gap on my DD-214 and (01/30) and my supposed return date of 02/20, will this be a problem? I have all the paperwork that Aetna

Thx and please advise!

Overpaid Union Thug

I should be returning from military leave in late January, around the 30. I had requested a return date of 02/02/20 but Aetna gave me unti 02/20/20, not sure why they extended my leave without me asking.

My main question is vacation/leave after returning to UPS. I remember being told that when on active duty orders, you accumulate 1 week of UPS vacation for every month of service. Is this accurate? Also, since there will be a 2-3 week gap on my DD-214 and (01/30) and my supposed return date of 02/20, will this be a problem? I have all the paperwork that Aetna

Thx and please advise!

One week of vacation for every month of service? Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and say that does not sound right at all. I know I definitely did not get that. LOL But the gap between the date on your DD 214 and your return to work date will not be a problem. AETNA’s date won’t matter either once you actually get a punch/report.

Bolshevik

One week of vacation for every month of service? Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and say that does not sound right at all. I know I definitely did not get that. LOL But the gap between the date on your DD 214 and your return to work date will not be a problem. AETNA’s date won’t matter either once you actually get a punch/report.

Yeah I dont remember where I heard that, but it was before my orders had begun.

So there shouldnt be a problem with the gap on my DD-214 and Aetnas return date? Thats good to know. Thx for responding

If I remember right, you are entitled to 30 days after getting off active duty and returning to work. Gives you the opportunity to be with your family and be a civilian again. I just wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible. My co workers wanted be to stay away as they were making bank on OT. The vacation thing does not sound right. UPS may give you your normal vacation time just like you were there working the entire time. I know they did for me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
ARTICLE 15. MILITARY CLAUSE Section 1. USERRA Rights
Employees in service in the uniformed services of the United States, as defned by the provisions of the Uniform Services Em- ployment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Title 38, U.S. Code Chapter 43, shall be granted all rights and privileges provided by USERRA and/or other applicable state and federal laws. This
shall include continuation of health coverage as provided by US- ERRA, and pension contributions for the employee’s period of ser- vice, as provided by USERRA. Employees shall be subject to all obligations contained in USERRA which must be satisfed for the employees to be covered by the statute.
The Employer, in its discretion, may make additional payments or award additional benefts to employees on leave for service in the uniformed services in excess of the requirements outlined in the USERRA.
Section 2. Vacation Restoration
Employees on USERRA-approved military leave shall continue to accrue vacation to be used upon return as set forth below. To be eli- gible for accrual, employees must be (i) employed by UPS for at least one (1) year, (ii) be a member of the uniformed services at time of callup, and (iii) be called into active duty (other than for training) for a period of service exceeding thirty (30) days pursuant to any provision of law because of a war or national emergency declared by the President of the United States or Congress. An eligible employ- ee returning to work as per USERRA shall be entitled to annual va- cation for the remainder of that contractual vacation period based on the number of weeks to which he/she is entitled for years of service and the quarter in the current contractual vacation period in which the employee returns from eligible military leave, as follows:
No. Wks Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 6 6 4 3 1 5 5 3 2 1 4 4 3 2 1 3 3 2 1 1 2 2 1 1 1
In no event shall the employee have less than one (1) week of vaca- tion available upon his/her return.
For the next contractual vacation period, the employee shall be credited with the vacation he would have accrued while he was on military leave. In no event shall the employee have less than he is
entitled to based on total years of service under the applicable Supplement.
The treatment of unused vacation and the scheduling of the vaca- tion shall be in accordance with the applicable Supplemental, Rider or Addendum.
Section 3. Notifcation of Leave
Upon notifcation from an employee that he/she is taking USERRA qualifed military leave, the Employer shall notify the Local Union within fve (5) business days.
Section 4. Spousal Transfer Rights
In the event an active member of the military is transferred to a different geographic location and his or her spouse works for the Employer, the employee may submit a written request to the Em- ployer to transfer to the same geographical area. The transfer shall be approved subject to the following conditions:
a. A full or part-time opening, as applicable, in the job classifca- tion exists at the desired location. The position must be one that an existing employee does not have a right to be awarded.
b. Job classifcation seniority is end-tailed.
c. Company seniority is retained for the purposes of the number of weeks of vacation, holiday eligibility, and beneft purposes.
d. The transfer must be requested in advance of the relocation to ensure that there is no break in service by the transferring employ- ee. If no permanent position is available at the time of the reloca- tion the provisions of paragraph a. above, shall apply for a maxi- mum of six (6) months.
e. The Employer shall not be responsible for any moving expenses or work missed by the employee.
friend. An employee who transfers out of his or her original area where they are covered by a Teamster Pension Trust Fund into the juris-diction of another pension trust fund, such employee shall remain in his or her original pension trust fund. The Employer agrees to pay the required pension contributions to the employee’s original pension trust fund as set forth in the trust agreement, provided there is no confict with any collective bargaining agreement and/ or trust agreement.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son worked several years in the hub during/after high school. He joined the navy and did 4 years. He came back and UPS hired him back. If I recall, his seniority carried over and he got all the raises he would have gotten had he stayed.

UnionGuy

You don't get one week vaction for every month you are gone. When I came back from the Army, I just showed up to my hub and went back to work. It was that simple for me.

oldngray

nowhere special
My son worked several years in the hub during/after high school. He joined the navy and did 4 years. He came back and UPS hired him back. If I recall, his seniority carried over and he got all the raises he would have gotten had he stayed.
All you need to do is get a military leave of absence. I'm not sure how long its good for. 4 years I think. Longer is considered a career move.

Overpaid Union Thug

Most of the time when a UPSer returns to work after military service the transition is rather smooth. But there have been cases where ignorance on the part of supervisors caused a lot of problems.

One such incident I know of is that a driver in the Warner Robins Georgia area had to fight for a full time job that had opened up while he was deployed with the reserves. And I have heard of a few that had to take it to court. When that happens the base USERRA rep gets that ball rolling and at no cost to the military member.

The USERRA rep at one of my previous units loved going after employers that tested the law. He said it was refreshing watching UPS act so arrogant and cocky and then have to be yanked back down to earth and end up sending apology letters to the member after giving them the job.

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son had some kind of an issue when he came back. I can't remember if it was his seniority or his hourly rate, but he got the union involved, and it was made right pretty quickly.