returning to ups after 4 years of military service (marines) HELP

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Stay in. I hope you haven't taken terminal leave. I regret leaving AD Army and I am reenlisting hopefully by July. I got to MEPS this month. I recommend you stay in. If you hate your mos then try to switch it. If the marines don't allow a reclass, then switch over to Army. Marines don't have to go through BCT. You would just go to AIT and go to your unit afterwards.
It's not for everybody. Something like 90% of people serve one enlistment and move on.

ManInBrown

I return to ups in July from 4 years of service in the marines ( active duty). They are tracking I am returning and told me as soon as I get back I will clock in and I will officially be back. Just wondering how will seniority work? From my military leave and the 2 years I worked there as a sorter in the morning shift it equals up to 6 years of seniority . How easy will it be for me to get a driver spot ? Will it take more than a year for that to happen or will I have to bump someone ? Can I start applying for a driver spot now before I come back to ups this July? And also I’m at the Ontario hub in California .
Thank you for your service.

Ok there’s clearly a misunderstanding. Yes I have been gone, someone signs a bid sheet in March, I sign it 4 months later. Then I the veteran has more seniority lthan the other person bidding but he cannot take my spot just because he signed it 4 months before. If you read the userra law it states “USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. ” so that means if I would’ve of been there in March and signed it I would’ve of got it so that refers back to me. So NO I will not be getting the position just because I’m a “ veteran “ I am getting it because thanks to the law I am covered. I will be contacting my hub today and asking them directly about this situation, I will keep you guys updated THANKS MUCH you guys !!

Overpaid Union Thug

Ok there’s clearly a misunderstanding. Yes I have been gone, someone signs a bid sheet in March, I sign it 4 months later. Then I the veteran has more seniority lthan the other person bidding but he cannot take my spot just because he signed it 4 months before. If you read the userra law it states “USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. ” so that means if I would’ve of been there in March and signed it I would’ve of got it so that refers back to me. So NO I will not be getting the position just because I’m a “ veteran “ I am getting it because thanks to the law I am covered. I will be contacting my hub today and asking them directly about this situation, I will keep you guys updated THANKS MUCH you guys !!
There should be a USERRA rep in your area. The ones I’ve dealt with loved taking on big corporations like UPS whenever they refused to comply.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Because 6 years of part time seniority still probably isn’t enough to go full time driving.
The wait to go full time in my building has never been longer than 2-3 years, often less than that. We got guys in Feeders who haven't even hit top pay yet. In fact, they just hung a bid list at my building for PT to bid straight into feeder. They desperate for people right now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stay in. I hope you haven't taken terminal leave. I regret leaving AD Army and I am reenlisting hopefully by July. I got to MEPS this month. I recommend you stay in. If you hate your mos then try to switch it. If the marines don't allow a reclass, then switch over to Army. Marines don't have to go through BCT. You would just go to AIT and go to your unit afterwards.

Thank you for your service.

I was on terminal leave (USAF) when I was hired by UPS. Never looked back.

To the OP: Thank you for your service. You are guaranteed to get your job back and any seniority that you would have gained while you were away. To that point, I don't think that it would be fair to pull a bid driver off of his/her route just to give it to you.