returning to ups after 4 years of military service (marines) HELP

542thruNthru

east coast=best coast

tumblr_okgfdxpaZZ1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Indecisi0n

I return to ups in July from 4 years of service in the marines ( active duty). They are tracking I am returning and told me as soon as I get back I will clock in and I will officially be back. Just wondering how will seniority work? From my military leave and the 2 years I worked there as a sorter in the morning shift it equals up to 6 years of seniority . How easy will it be for me to get a driver spot ? Will it take more than a year for that to happen or will I have to bump someone ? Can I start applying for a driver spot now before I come back to ups this July? And also I’m at the Ontario hub in California .
Thank you for you service. If there is anything I can do for you let me know. Anything....

rod

Retired 22 years
I’m confused.
You can’t just take someone’s active job. He’d essentially be first in line on day 1 when he arrives back for brand new openings. If 23 others signed up to drive on the same day as him, he’d have the 6 years seniority to cut the line.
Now bid lists for other positions (not drivers), he may be able to also cut the line with his active seniority.

Signing the paper sheet to drive is vastly different than other job bid lists. The day you turn in that sheet to drive is basically your seniority (as long as you make it through all the tests and classes).

As far as I know, treat it like fmla. You’ve retained seniority for vacations and new active bid lists, nothing else.

Someone brand new waiting to drive, who signed the bid list in March 2020, should not lose seniority to a person wanting to drive in July who has more ‘company seniority’. Both get called to class in August. There’s truly only one opening. You’re saying the vet has priority? He signed his intent to drive 4 months later
Can sure tell you never served your country--other than maybe playing Mortal Combat in your parents basement.

rod

Retired 22 years
Stay in. I hope you haven't taken terminal leave. I regret leaving AD Army and I am reenlisting hopefully by July. I got to MEPS this month. I recommend you stay in. If you hate your mos then try to switch it. If the marines don't allow a reclass, then switch over to Army. Marines don't have to go through BCT. You would just go to AIT and go to your unit afterwards.
Staying in is a good alternative. I always said being in the Army and working at UPS was just about the same. Total confusion.

542thruNthru

No, it helped create second class citizens and put division in the the workforce

Already had second class citizens in my area since 1997 and if we are really being honest with ourselves. It was even longer back than that when PT workers were turned into second class citizens and put division in the workforce.

You remember PT workers right? The ones we all blame for bad contracts and refuse to stand up for because... well "they are second class citizens".

I don't agree with 22.4s but they are better than being a cover driver.