returning to ups after 4 years of military service (marines) HELP

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ok there’s clearly a misunderstanding. Yes I have been gone, someone signs a bid sheet in March, I sign it 4 months later. Then I the veteran has more seniority lthan the other person bidding but he cannot take my spot just because he signed it 4 months before. If you read the userra law it states “USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. ” so that means if I would’ve of been there in March and signed it I would’ve of got it so that refers back to me. So NO I will not be getting the position just because I’m a “ veteran “ I am getting it because thanks to the law I am covered. I will be contacting my hub today and asking them directly about this situation, I will keep you guys updated THANKS MUCH you guys !!

If, while you were serving our country, someone with lower seniority was able to get a driving job, that's were you would have been had you not left, hence the USERRA Law. This is the job that you would have attained had you not left.

You do not need to wait for an opening, but you still have to qualify as a driver.

ManInBrown

I love how some drivers still act as if this is 2005 UPS. 20 year wait to be a driver. Lol. Nope. It’s not that it isn’t a great job. Package is a great job, if you have tremendous work ethic and don’t mind busting your arse. Problem is today’s generation doesn’t want to work hard. That’s why the wait time is so different now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...and you would be OK with being bumped off a route that you had properly bid just to accommodate a returning vet...?

I am a vet and would not expect special treatment. I would just want to have my job back.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
To the OP: Thank you for your service. You are guaranteed to get your job back and any seniority that you would have gained while you were away. To that point, I don't think that it would be fair to pull a bid driver off of his/her route just to give it to you.

So it was fair for our country to pull him away from a driving job to protect our freedom and make him pass on a driving job that would have been his had he not served?

Sorry, but I agree with the law and I do sympathize with the driver who may be displaced when this Vet returns to a job he should have had.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So it was fair for our country to pull him away from a driving job to protect our freedom and make him pass on a driving job that would have been his had he not served?

Sorry, but I agree with the law and I do sympathize with the driver who may be displaced when this Vet returns to a job he should have had.

He was either on active reserve and got called to active duty or enlisted while working at UPS.

If it is the former than I certainly sympathize with him. If it is the latter that is a choice that he made.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
...and you would be OK with being bumped off a route that you had properly bid just to accommodate a returning vet...?

I am a vet and would not expect special treatment. I would just want to have my job back.
How would it be any different than someone who has more company seniority but less full time seniority getting bumped off their route by an off the street hire?
If you dont like it thats just tough titty

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How would it be any different than someone who has more company seniority but less full time seniority getting bumped by an off the street hire?
If you dont like it thats just tough titty

I understand and appreciate the need for the law. I just don't think the OP should be able to displace a FT bid driver.

I would help the center would try to accommodate both with FT bid routes.

ManInBrown

If someone could have guaranteed me, that my body would have never broken down, I would have never left package. I loved it. Nothing better then those 65 degree days without a cloud in the sky. That’s what I miss. The fresh air and the forced exercise. I used to walk 13 miles a day on my route. That exercise cannot be duplicated.

542thruNthru

I love how some drivers still act as if this is 2005 UPS. 20 year wait to be a driver. Lol. Nope. It’s not that it isn’t a great job. Package is a great job, if you have tremendous work ethic and don’t mind busting your arse. Problem is today’s generation doesn’t want to work hard. That’s why the wait time is so different now.

11 year wait here for a RPCD position.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
The wait to go full time in my building has never been longer than 2-3 years, often less than that. We got guys in Feeders who haven't even hit top pay yet. In fact, they just hung a bid list at my building for PT to bid straight into feeder. They desperate for people right now.
That’s a big change from when I was in so cal.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
If someone could have guaranteed me, that my body would have never broken down, I would have never left package. I loved it. Nothing better then those 65 degree days without a cloud in the sky. That’s what I miss. The fresh air and the forced exercise. I used to walk 13 miles a day on my route. That exercise cannot be duplicated.

Walk around your neighborhood carrying box when you get home each night

Turdferguson

Just a turd
No, it's not.

UPS and most of the other major corporations have for the most part always been good about making sure returning vets get what they are entitled to upon their return. It is the smaller Mom and Pop companies that seem to struggle with it.

Only because they government contracts, nothing to do with the goodness in their heart