Riding with drivers.

pretzel_man

This is an entirely different company than when I started 10 years ago.

First of all, the logo change and privately traded to public in that time span should tell you something.

http://www.bnet.com/article/ups-scott-davis-we-needed-to-be-public/397544

Yes, this is a different company than 10 years ago. I've been here over 30, and the change from then is even larger.

I think it wise to not confuse the chicken from the egg......

We used to be a growing company. The little kid on the block taking packages from the post office. We were the low cost provider.

Today, we are the maket leader. In the US, we have the lion's share of the business. Growth is gone.

There used to be no competition. Today, we have FedEx that is taking our packages away!!! They have a cost model where their cost per driver is almost 1/2 of ours.....

Before, packages went from a manufacturer, to a distributer, to a local store, then to a consumer. Today with the internet, it can go right from a manufacturer to a consumer. AND, consumers want the cheapest shipping option.... The customer wants low cost, but residential deliveries are more expensive for us....

When you put this all together, the world has changed all around us and yes, UPS has changed to adjust....

Are we perfect? Of course not. But we had problems 10 years ago, and 30 years ago. Because of our large growth and no competition we could get away with it.

BTW, I started as a part timer long, long ago. Great job while going to school. UPS still has great career options for management (although different than before). I have never lied or hid issues and never directed my people to do so. I can't fix a problem if I can't see it.

With 30,000 managment people there are certainly some bad eggs. They do not belong here. But the vast majority of managment and hourly are working hard together.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, this is a different company than 10 years ago. I've been here over 30, and the change from then is even larger.

I think it wise to not confuse the chicken from the egg......

I can't say I understand, obviously, but it must be night and day for you guys and gals with decades of experience.

guinness413

..dropping like flies in the 0871..another on car sup down with a "heart attack"....love seeing those emt guys running in our building now..oh well,at least there will be one less tool following us this summer taking pictures of our tattoos showing in the 100 degree heat..

moreluck

golden ticket member
..dropping like flies in the 0871..another on car sup down with a "heart attack"....love seeing those emt guys running in our building now..oh well,at least there will be one less tool following us this summer taking pictures of our tattoos showing in the 100 degree heat..

I think what you wrote is horrible........to actually say you love seeing the EMT's come for another human being!!!..Do you feel the same way if they come for your mom, dad, child???????? You are a sick puppy!

guinness413

I think what you wrote is horrible........to actually say you love seeing the EMT's come for another human being!!!..Do you feel the same way if they come for your mom, dad, child???????? You are a sick puppy!
i dont wish death upon them,just enough to get them off our backs is nice though...and the way they harass us in the summer is nuts..they preach safety...preach staying hydrated and then send guys out in long pants and sleeves when its 100 out and 125 in the back of the package car..and i dont wanna hear any BS about us knowing the tattoo policy,ive been here since 88 and it only kicked in a few years ago...

moreluck

golden ticket member
i dont wish death upon them,just enough to get them off our backs is nice though...and the way they harass us in the summer is nuts..they preach safety...preach staying hydrated and then send guys out in long pants and sleeves when its 100 out and 125 in the back of the package car..and i dont wanna hear any BS about us knowing the tattoo policy,ive been here since 88 and it only kicked in a few years ago...

When my hubby drove in '72, it wasn't an issue, people didn't look like idiots with bodies posing as canvas...... but if it's the policy now.....comply or go work at McD's. You are just like the people who buy a house near the RR tracks and then complain of the train noise and try to sue the railroad!!

guinness413

When my hubby drove in '72, it wasn't an issue, people didn't look like idiots with bodies posing as canvas...... but if it's the policy now.....comply or go work at McD's. You are just like the people who buy a house near the RR tracks and then complain of the train noise and try to sue the railroad!!

except my house was here before they built the trax..

Upser08

Come on man, grown-ups shouldn't be wearing shorts in a professional environment anyway. I can't wait to be your in car sup!

Griff

Come on man, grown-ups shouldn't be wearing shorts in a professional environment anyway. I can't wait to be your in car sup!

It's not a professional environment. It's a dirty, blue collar environment dealing with the elements. Long pants are for the "professional people" who don't sweat and bleed for a living.

You really should refrain from posting about the driving job until you do it for 3 days and think you are the best driver ever like the rest of the managers at UPS.

Griff

I don't wish death upon them, but I certainly could give a flying crap if any of them drop over dead. I'm incapable of being sympathetic or compassionate to one of the lowest forms of human scum. Karma is a you know what and the majority of managers at UPS are rotten to the core. Just evil and hateful people who want nothing more than to cause pain, anguish and financial ruin on people who do the job the way it's meant to be done. That's my experience with them over 15+ years and I'll never in a million years apologize for the way I feel. There's a real reason why there is so much animosity and resentment between the two factions, there is a war being waged in operations.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am curious as to why there is a management area on this site when the union negativity seems to bleed in here?
The 'union' negativity was created by management. At least, MY negativity was. So, why shouldn't we comment here? Are you suggesting management should be banned from all other areas of this site? I'm not.

Upser08

The beauty of being in management is that I don't have to do your job. I've been trained in your job, now all I have to do is make sure you follow the correct methods.

pretzel_man

I don't wish death upon them, but I certainly could give a flying crap if any of them drop over dead. I'm incapable of being sympathetic or compassionate to one of the lowest forms of human scum. Karma is a you know what and the majority of managers at UPS are rotten to the core. Just evil and hateful people who want nothing more than to cause pain, anguish and financial ruin on people who do the job the way it's meant to be done. That's my experience with them over 15+ years and I'll never in a million years apologize for the way I feel. There's a real reason why there is so much animosity and resentment between the two factions, there is a war being waged in operations.

I've learned over the years that managers that think all drivers are liars have a problem themselves.

A pickpocket only see pockets and is always guarding theirs.

I believe that the vast majority of managers and hourlies go a great job.

If you think the "majority of managers at UPS are rotten to the core", maybe you need to look in the miror. Part of the problem is there.

packageguy

The beauty of being in management is that I don't have to do your job. I've been trained in your job, now all I have to do is make sure you follow the correct methods.

The word in our building is people like you go into management, because you can't do the job.

I think it's because of the stock. lol

bigblu 2 you

you need to be quiet while the grown ups are talking.as much i have a negative opinion about some managers and sups{i have had a few who were real people with real values}you are fuel on the fire.

packageguy

I've learned over the years that managers that think all drivers are liars have a problem themselves.

A pickpocket only see pockets and is always guarding theirs.

I believe that the vast majority of managers and hourlies go a great job.

If you think the "majority of managers at UPS are rotten to the core", maybe you need to look in the miror. Part of the problem is there.

I have to agree, I had some really good managers, and a few good supervisors, But now it's all changed, I hear supervisors talking, that if they can't do the job, or do the numbers, the company will find someone who can. Some supervisors have found the cocky attitude.

Upser08

If any of then come across as "evil hateful people" it's because of your failure to do your job. Imagine having you to do the same things everyday. Got the picture in your head? Now multiply it by 50 employees. That is why management gets worn down! Management has numbers to run. Your union tells you that production is not a priority, yet management has to still be productive! It's a catch 22 for us. Not to mention how difficult it is to terminate anyone that is involved with the union.

I don't understand how hourlys can't comprehend what management has to go through. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I just wish my employees cared as much as I do about the job they are doing. It is hard to motivate people in the hub because of the lousy pay, but that isn't going to change. UPS needs to be a team, where each employee understands his role. If you are tired of your job, move on, or move up, but don't give a half hearted effort.

If every UPS employee did the bare minimum, there would be noone who could compete with us.

brownedout

If any of then come across as "evil hateful people" it's because of your failure to do your job. Imagine having you to do the same things everyday. Got the picture in your head? Now multiply it by 50 employees. That is why management gets worn down! Management has numbers to run. Your union tells you that production is not a priority, yet management has to still be productive! It's a catch 22 for us. Not to mention how difficult it is to terminate anyone that is involved with the union.
The only picture I can muster in my head is any supervisor, least of all you, being responsible for 50 people
I don't I just wish my employees cared as much as I understand how hourlys can't comprehend what management has to go through. Don't get me wrong, I love my job,do about the job they are doing. It is hard to motivate people in the hub because of the lousy pay, but that isn't going to change. UPS needs to be a team, where each employee understands his role. If you are tired of your job, move on, or move up, but don't give a half hearted effort.

If every UPS employee did the bare minimum, there would be noone who could compete with us.
FT sup wannabee, exactly what is your job at the moment? Don't be so smug about not having to perform the job. Every on car in my bldg pulls routes every month and once their group sees they are unable to practice what they preach...