Riding with drivers.

Upser08

First of all, this is my original statement before BROWNEDOUT got creative with it.

If any of them come across as "evil hateful people" it's because of your failure to do your job. Imagine having someone have to tell you to do the same things everyday. Got the picture in your head? Now multiply it by 50 employees. That is why management gets worn down! Management has numbers to run. Your union tells you that production is not a priority, yet management has to still be productive! It's a catch 22 for us. Not to mention how difficult it is to terminate anyone that is involved with the union.

I don't understand how hourlys can't comprehend what management has to go through. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I just wish my employees cared as much as I do about the job they are doing. It is hard to motivate people in the hub because of the lousy pay, but that isn't going to change. UPS needs to be a team, where each employee understands his role. If you are tired of your job, move on, or move up, but don't give a half hearted effort.

If every UPS employee did the bare minimum, there would be noone who could compete with us.

Don't be bitter about your inability to what you are expected to do. We don't background check when we hire, so as management what can we expect??? It's our fault. It's Human resources fault. It is hard to get anything but uneducated people to do blue collar work.:happy2:

Upser08

On car sup
Unload sup
Sort asile sup
Outbound sup
Smallsort sup
Tts room sup
Console
Simulator

Just got my cdl, so next step is being your boss.

Thanks bud

brownedout

By the way that's brownedout (all lower case) BROWNEDOUT (CAPS) and browned out (lower case space between words) are different people. You hold yourself in such high regard, I wouldn't want you to make any errors.

Upser08

so many jobs in your short 2 yrs at UPS. They must regard you as a Failure.

No, I asked to be moved around, so I can learn the business. Management is nothing more than being able to communicate with your people, even when they are bitter and hateful. That is why I wanted to learn other jobs. If you can manage one group, you can manage all of them. Learning new jobs is the way to move up. Most of the training I do is unpaid time, I come in early, or stay late. I'm sure that you think that is stupid, but it will make me more valuable in the future. Why would they promote someone who is not interested in learning more?

Upser08

By the way that's brownedout (all lower case) BROWNEDOUT (CAPS) and browned out (lower case space between words) are different people. You hold yourself in such high regard, I wouldn't want you to make any errors.

No, but I think it is hilarious that all UPS hourly employees think that management is on one team and they are on another. It's your union that makes you believe that. Until you get into a management position you won't know what it's like to deal with people like yourself. Constant complaints about how hard the job is, unfair production standards etc...

hypocrisy

Banned
We don't background check when we hire, so as management what can we expect??? It's our fault. It's Human resources fault. It is hard to get anything but uneducated people to do blue collar work.:happy2:

I had a background check when I was hired, including a fingerprint card. Of course, at 18, I didn't have much background to check.

We used to most of our hiring on college campuses, and for the first few years of my career everyone in my building was also in school (and just about everyone I work with now has a college degree, as do I.) Sometime in the late 90's that changed and it seemed we were hiring from DES and the workforce changed dramatically: thefts went up, absenteeism, terminations for drug use etc. Mid-2000's I noticed it seemed to swing the other way in some of the buildings in my area, but it still wasn't anything like when I was hired.

Your complaint about the low pay are the direct result of UPS's negotiation demands. That and extending the time to be eligible for benefits has a big effect on the candidate we attract. Your difficulty in motivating those employees is a failure on your part, and that is your challenge as a supervisor to overcome.

The Union has no say in the people that UPS hires, we only have a duty and legal requirement to give them representation and equal protection under the contract. UPS gets 30 days to fire any employee they feel isn't up to snuff without question, and perhaps they should exercise that right more often. So if you want to blame anyone about your substandard employees, blame the company for a "beating heart gets the job" mentality and failure to follow through during the probationary period.

brownedout

No, but I think it is hilarious that all UPS hourly employees think that management is on one team and they are on another. It's your union that makes you believe that. Until you get into a management position you won't know what it's like to deal with people like yourself. Constant complaints about how hard the job is, unfair production standards etc...

Actually it's my opinion that management has caused the divide that does exist. My union CAN'T MAKE me believe a thing that my own eyes and ears haven't seen or heard. And I have never complained about how hard the job is and unfair production standards so get your facts straight young man!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually it's my opinion that management has caused the divide that does exist. My union CAN'T MAKE me believe a thing that my own eyes and ears haven't seen or heard. And I have never complained about how hard the job is and unfair production standards so get your facts straight young man!

It's a shared effort but it can be traced back to the strike in 1997. I often ponder whether the 97 strike or going public was the worst event that happened in UPS history.
From the perspective of this point in time it's hard to separate the two - which was the chicken and which was the egg?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why are employees who weren't even hired at the time of the strike harassed, if that is the case?

UPS should never have gone public. If you look back in 100 years, the answer will be the same.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It's a shared effort but it can be traced back to the strike in 1997. I often ponder whether the 97 strike or going public was the worst event that happened in UPS history.
From the perspective of this point in time it's hard to separate the two - which was the chicken and which was the egg?

I wonder if the 2013 strike will be any less avoidable?
As I recall, a large part of the steam behind the strike vote was due to many unhappy part timers who wanted a larger slice of the pie. Do you feel that UPS may have created a similar situation this time by bargaining for the delay in benefits entitlement? I could see this as a call to arms for pt families.

washington57

No, I asked to be moved around, so I can learn the business. Management is nothing more than being able to communicate with your people, even when they are bitter and hateful. That is why I wanted to learn other jobs. If you can manage one group, you can manage all of them. Learning new jobs is the way to move up. Most of the training I do is unpaid time, I come in early, or stay late. I'm sure that you think that is stupid, but it will make me more valuable in the future. Why would they promote someone who is not interested in learning more?

First of all there is a difference between wanting to learn more and being competent at your job. By the number of jobs you've had in the last two years it appears that so far you aren't good at any of those positions. For example if you were a good sort aisle supervisor they wouldv'e kept you there. Sim is where they put the people who can't manage employees. Typically a pt supervisor stays at least a year in a position before rotating.

Just sayin here that you may think a little too much of yourself. Some humility might do you some good.

old levi's

blank space

They were equally disastrous and we will never outlive the negative repercussions of those two events.

Upser08

Management has numbers to run, production standards that we have to live up to. The union does not recognize production standards. That causes an automatic divide between management and their people.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I wonder if the 2013 strike will be any less avoidable?
As I recall, a large part of the steam behind the strike vote was due to many unhappy part timers who wanted a larger slice of the pie. Do you feel that UPS may have created a similar situation this time by bargaining for the delay in benefits entitlement? I could see this as a call to arms for pt families.

Herein lies the problem:

The "old time" PT'ers, who understand the issues, are already making a decent wage. The new hires making $8/hr (barely minimum wage, if that) are not armed with knowledge of striking or unionism, for the most part.

Call to arms for PT families? It depends on what UPS offers in 2012 or '13 negotiations. If they try to eliminate medical benefits altogether, surely, many PT'ers will be ticked off.

However if UPS wants to bargain away medical benes with higher PT wages to somewhat offset, then you're appealing to the new-hires and segregating the old-timers.

I think UPS strategy would be best to do exactly that - raise starting wage and eliminate benefits altogether. You'd herd out some of the old-timers making the highest wages and expensive medical/benes/pension etc, and attract a better breed of college-age crowd.

There are of course one million and one other issues I am leaving out...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It has been suggested that UPS may try to eliminate health benefits for PTers. I have to think that this would apply to new hires only, much like the extension of benefits (12/18 months) in our current contract. I don't think UPS is foolish enough to try to take health benefits away from current employees.