RIP in Port Allen, La.

ups_vette

Can it really? If this were true then we would all be dropping like flies.

I'm surprised a previous poster who was in "management" 26 years and seems to have a vast medical background (sarcasm) didn't factor into his heart attack the "12 hour" days of:
-no exercise
-poor diet
-probably smoked
-continual stress

The accumalative effects of this lifestyle can sneak up on a person even after 6 years of "stress free" retirement.

But what could I know....I'm just a "driver".

In responce I would just say:

-no exercise------I was, and still am, an avid jogger.
I competed in many marathons.

-poor diet--------My weight today is exactly the same
as when I was a "driver", 165 lbs.

-probably smoked--I tried cigaretts when in high school,
did not enjoy them, and haven't
smoked since.

-continual stress- As a Manager I was blessed to not
have a discontented feeder driver
continualy complaining about
everything working for me, and thus
my working life at UPS was stress free.

Make sure the accumalative effects of YOUR lifestyle don't sneak up on YOU!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
upsvette, so what did they say contributed to your heart attack?. sounds like heredity. And that you cannot change. Everyone blames it on lifestyle when so often it is not. Did you have bypass or were they able to treat it another way?
I went to cardiac rehab with my husband, and participated a few times, and I was so proud of my self as I wasnt huffing and puffing, and THEN the teacher told me because of my physical shape from a strenuous job, I had to get my heart rate above and beyond the normal person. Said its people like us who croak when we leave our jobs, because we are conditioned at one point and do not go above. We need to do more, and really who wants to do more?
we had a driver, never smoked, ran marathons fit and trim, retired and dropped dead a year later. whoda thunk.
My sister died at 52, brother at 59, massives. She never touched a cigarette, or drank. I think it comes down to there is only so much you can do, and it wasn't your time. When your number is called, its over.
Thanks for the uplifting post!:angry:Glad you are well.

ups_vette

tooner.....Unfortunately there is a history of heart disease in my family. I lost 2 uncles and 2 aunts from heart attacks. As far as my treatment, I had 2 stents installed and am on statins to help prevent further problems.

As i had mentioned in a previous post my wife and I celebrated our 48th anniversity in February. We've been married so long we joke about know exactly what the other is thinking. The reason I mention this is because on August 14th, 2001 my wife had a mild heart attack. She was put on blood thinners and statins and released, after the usual tests, from the hospital on August 17th. That same evening (August 17th) I had my heart attack. My wife says she can't do anything that I don't try to do better, like even having a more serious heart attack.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats a funny story ups-vette. My husband and I do the same thing. One day I was trying to help an old man catch his dog that didnt bite, and the dog attacked me, at that moment my husband was coming up the street to get me because he was cutting with a torch and the torch blew up and his hand was badly burnt. He got the dog off me, and We went to the hospital together, but Ill skip the heart attack:happy2:I hope!