Road qualified shifters

gorilla75jdw

Has any other hub/facilty tried to make shifters (fulltime ,combo or part time ) become C.D.L. Road qualified shifters. Here at White's Creek Nashville Tennessee Tennessee , they are pressing the issue , if you do not get road qualified you are then laid off (back to the hub) ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Has any other hub/facilty tried to make shifters (fulltime ,combo or part time ) become C.D.L. Road qualified shifters. Here at White's Creek Nashville Tennessee Tennessee , they are pressing the issue , if you do not get road qualified you are then laid off (back to the hub) ?

If you never leave the company's property, you don't even need a valid drivers license.

Enter a public roadway.... different story.

-Bug-

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Nope. Full time drivers. This is man work. You want to go 22.3 you can be a clerk with a smock.
Man work?

933AD244-93C2-41F1-BCB4-79A9A8317E5B.gif

trickpony1

Do you really feel that you need a CDL to swap out trailers in the yard?

Dave, Dave, Dave....
In real hubs, in the real world...empties overwhelm most yards and HENCE the company rents empty lots (close by) to store empties and CDL drivers in street legal shifters move those empties to the storage lots.

trickpony1

...and, yes, I missed your point but...

how would you feel if two qualified PT'ers bumped you off your route?

Oh wait....you're gonna retire and don't care about anyone else.

gorilla75jdw

While I understand what most of you guys are saying , and also understanding that "times are changing"at my hub , if i would have wanted to be CDL qualified, we at my hub would have signed up for feeders and been sitting in a pretty bid start time at this point in our careers . "But ", or however Big Brown has thrown us another curveball that we never seen coming from 15 to 40 year vets.

So , let me ask the question again if any of you guys have been put thru this issue , grieved it , won it , and how did or what language did you use ? Respectfully thanks .

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
While I understand what most of you guys are saying , and also understanding that "times are changing"at my hub , if i would have wanted to be CDL qualified, we at my hub would have signed up for feeders and been sitting in a pretty bid start time at this point in our careers . "But ", or however Big Brown has thrown us another curveball that we never seen coming from 15 to 40 year vets.

So , let me ask the question again if any of you guys have been put thru this issue , grieved it , won it , and how did or what language did you use ? Respectfully thanks .
Are they offering to train you guys to become CDL qualified?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why not just get a cdl

gorilla75jdw

Are they offering to train you guys to become CDL qualified?
Yes, but again , once you bid into this new classification "art 22.2 road qualified shifter" subsequently , speaking for myself (I'm the #3 guy out of 18) I'm starting over in a job that I didn't sign up for . If we wanted CDL's we would have done that many years ago .

gorilla75jdw

Why not just get a cdl
#1 start times dictate everything (I think)
#2 new classification (vacation selection)
#3 I know it's trivial , but the "road qualified "yard birds we use are not air conditioned , just saying .
I will think of more , but I appreciate the responses and such .

PT Car Washer

#1 start times dictate everything (I think)
#2 new classification (vacation selection)
#3 I know it's trivial , but the "road qualified "yard birds we use are not air conditioned , just saying .
I will think of more , but I appreciate the responses and such .
What makes them road qualified? Ours don't even have license plates yet they are still used to shuttle trailers across the street or farther. Also our spotters are Feeder drivers who either bid the job or because of a lack of seniority are forced to or it is considered extra work. No PT or Art 22.3 or Art 22.2 need apply.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
What makes them road qualified? Ours don't even have license plates yet they are still used to shuttle trailers across the street or farther. Also our spotters are Feeder drivers who either bid the job or because of a lack of seniority are forced to or it is considered extra work. No PT or Art 22.3 or Art 22.2 need apply.
They require everything a regular tractor has to carry. Plus i think they have to have a lockout for the 5th wheel button so you don't accidentally drop your trailer.