Ron Carey, You've been indicted

local804

804 honestly I believe carey had a lot of leadership skills and was a great motivator for the teamsters. But there are too many disturbing charges hanging out there on Ronnie to allow me to ever think the guy is sqeaky clean. The fact he ran a new york union all those years leads me to believe he can not be clean. You don't run a new york city local without help from the mob. Careys list of detractors is much longer then just the hoffa camp. Ronnie has a lot of assets to his name. I find it funny when you guys brag that he cut his own salary when the guy is every bit as rich as the corporate leaders he slammed for being greedy. I sincerely hope you find your true reformist that cleans up the teamsters but Ronnie was not the one.

Just out of curiosity, do you watch alot of mob movies and why wouldnt you be able to run a NY local without the mob? You also are aware that Ron had assets before he even beecame the president right?

local804

My2cents, I am a little confused. That article was written May of 2001 and Ron was aquittal was October 2001, maybe my dates are messed up, who knows.

Teamsters President James P. Hoffa is not likely to lead a mobilization of the members to demand that the government allow Ron Carey to rejoin the union he served for four decades. “Teamsters spokesman Bret Caldwell said the acquittal would not change the union’s attitude toward Carey. ‘He’s banned from the union and that’s not changing,’” according to the Los Angeles Times. Further, Caldwell said, “Ron Carey’s not off the hook yet.” He meant that Hoffa intended to continue to pursue a civil racketeering suit against Carey for $3 million. That case was thrown out of court just two weeks ago, but Hoffa says he will appeal.

Apparently, the case is frivolous on its face, but Hoffa has tried to use it to convince union voters that Carey robbed the union blind. Despite Carey’s ouster from the union, Hoffa has continued to campaign against Carey. Since 1997, Hoffa has labored to convince the Teamster ranks that Carey is guilty of the charges that the jury rejected. It’s been said that at the recent Teamsters Convention someone might have thought at times that Carey was in the presidential race, not Tom L, Hoffa’s only rival on the ballot. Some Teamsters have suggested that a write-in campaign be waged for Carey, only to be told that the election rules do not permit write-in votes and that any writing on a ballot would cause that ballot to be thrown out.

I

I remember

He was banished for having been a knowing party to the crimes committed. He knew about it, he allowed it, he didn't stop it.

brazenbrown

He was banished for having been a knowing party to the crimes committed. He knew about it, he allowed it, he didn't stop it.

Well, that pretty much sums up this thread...Are there any other questions???

Between My3cents ( I give an extra penny for a job well done) well documented facts and the bring it home quote above..

I believe we're done here!!:wink:

local804

Yes sure, that sums it up. 2 cents article was written 5 month before Ron was cleared of all charges. go figure, check the dates yourself.

local804

Actually, A federal oversight board removed him for failing to stop a fund raising scheme that was linked to his campaign. The board never found that Ron took part in the scheme and Ron was never charged.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You're one to speak. You guys crucify hoffa and eskew with less evidence then the state had against carey.

Carey was lucky. his lawyer was able to discredit the states witnesses who said he carey knew about the illegal money play going on.

Meanwhile why was carey banned from the union for ever. Because that investigatory body determined he should have known what was going on. This means either gross negligence on his part in executing his job or that he should and probably knew what was going on.

So yes I believe he knew. I believe he avoided jail time because his lawyer made the states witnesses look bad and Ronnie probably got some sympathy from a local jury.

Careys greatest honor is he is the first teamster president to avoid getting convicted for his crooked work.

Tie you want eveidence, hoffa has lost every strike he has called, overnite, red star, hoffa was the leader when when the cs lost billions in funds. Hoffas own running mates have been banned from the ibt, dane passo, damn near the whole hogan family the list goes on.

Now on to eskew, we have lost more customers due to mikeys ie mentality to bust out the route to make the bottom line instead of the concept that this comapny was founded on. Do you remember the idea? Service the customer, because if we dont someone will! Now lets get into the time study, mikey is stealing money from my route on a daily basis, mikey couldnt raise our stock value if he tried and he has.

You have an agenda with carey, would you like to explain why you hate the man with this much passion? Another question, why are you coming to hoffas defense? You are in management.

Tie,
Would you expect praise and glory from a Teamster website with Ron Careys foe to post all of the glorius things Ron has done for the union? If Ron decided to make a return to the IBT, I can bet you my life, Hoffa would not endorse it and I am sure you know why. Ron Carey is/was the elected leader to run the Teamsters and was proven Not Guilty in a court of law. Imo, Ron will be back shortly in the labor movement. Remeber, Ron is a free man and not guilty is not hearsay or guilty by assosiation, but the biggest fact that can be associated to him.
I only hope that you are right!

tieguy

Banned
Tie you want eveidence, hoffa has lost every strike he has called, overnite, red star, hoffa was the leader when when the cs lost billions in funds. Hoffas own running mates have been banned from the ibt, dane passo, damn near the whole hogan family the list goes on.

what corruption in the teamsters? tell me it ain't so. Hell carey cleaned out all the mobsters when he had it.

Now on to eskew, we have lost more customers due to mikeys ie mentality to bust out the route to make the bottom line instead of the concept that this comapny was founded on. Do you remember the idea? Service the customer, because if we dont someone will!

Red the thing is our service performance is the highest its ever been as mike gets ready to leave the company.

Now lets get into the time study, mikey is stealing money from my route on a daily basis, mikey couldnt raise our stock value if he tried and he has.

can't argue with that point. I was hoping for a 100 a share about now.

You have an agenda with carey, would you like to explain why you hate the man with this much passion?

Hates a strong word. I despise the man because I think he's a crook with heavy mob ties who robbed many fine upsers of a good pension when he walked in 97. Its now going to cost me 6 billion dollars to fix one pension plan 10 years later. But you guys don't see that because you're too busy sniffing each others sets.

Another question, why are you coming to hoffas defense? You are in management.

Actually not coming to Hoffas defense so much as having fun with you guys and you're so called union. You guys preach solodarity but find reasons to be individuals every chance you get. Your union asked you what you wanted then went out and got it. You should all basically now send in your yes votes because your reps did their job. Instead you guys keep coming up with reasons to vote against your elected reps. I think its entertaining as hell. Whats real entertaining for me is when I get the opportunity to lecture someone on what it means to be a good union man. this management person understands the concept better then many of your brothers.

govols019

You smell that?
Being a good Union man doesn't mean you vote for substandard contracts because the Union leadership said so. It also doesn't mean you have to support the Union leadership regardless of what they do. That would just make you a good lemming.

Sammie

For what it's worth with sixty plus years of UPS time in this household,
Ron Carey came up through the ranks. An army man, a driver, a steward, a business agent, and president of the Teamsters in 1991. I call that a success story.

I think the trouble started when he beat out Hoffa for the position again
in 1996. Carey is a working man, Hoffa is a lawyer. Go figure. Which of
these men has ever put in an honest day of work? Whose father was a hugely influential criminal with ties to the under ground, convicted of attempted briberyof a grand juror?

And you can honestly tell me that Daddy's influences didn't land Jimmy P.
where he is today? Carey used no one to get as far as he got.

Hoffa's smear campaign against Carey didn't work. Carey wasn't indicted. Remember when you all won greviences under Carey's leadership? Remember when you didn't get fired for a fatality that
the police didn't even charge you for? Or for looking the wrong way
at somebody? The union is not nearly as strong as it once was and I don't think I'm going to blame Carey for that.

UPS Lifer

I think there are a lot of people that forget (or don't know) that Ron Carey got fired from UPS and got his job back. He has held a vendetta against UPS ever since. He would like to take the company to it's knees. ....Guess who goes along with it if he would have succeeded?

705red

Browncafe Steward

what corruption in the teamsters? tell me it ain't so. Hell carey cleaned out all the mobsters when he had it.

Now on to eskew, we have lost more customers due to mikeys ie mentality to bust out the route to make the bottom line instead of the concept that this comapny was founded on. Do you remember the idea? Service the customer, because if we dont someone will!

Red the thing is our service performance is the highest its ever been as mike gets ready to leave the company.

Now lets get into the time study, mikey is stealing money from my route on a daily basis, mikey couldnt raise our stock value if he tried and he has.

can't argue with that point. I was hoping for a 100 a share about now.

You have an agenda with carey, would you like to explain why you hate the man with this much passion?

Hates a strong word. I despise the man because I think he's a crook with heavy mob ties who robbed many fine upsers of a good pension when he walked in 97. Its now going to cost me 6 billion dollars to fix one pension plan 10 years later. But you guys don't see that because you're too busy sniffing each others sets.

Another question, why are you coming to hoffas defense? You are in management.

Actually not coming to Hoffas defense so much as having fun with you guys and you're so called union. You guys preach solodarity but find reasons to be individuals every chance you get. Your union asked you what you wanted then went out and got it. You should all basically now send in your yes votes because your reps did their job. Instead you guys keep coming up with reasons to vote against your elected reps. I think its entertaining as hell. Whats real entertaining for me is when I get the opportunity to lecture someone on what it means to be a good union man. this management person understands the concept better then many of your brothers.
I must of missed something! When did anyone ask the union to give in to the company with all of these concessions? Alot of us asked for secure pensions, good wages, workable conditions and overtime language. What we got were the song and dance over the pension, ups throws some monet at it and its fixed, horsecrap! how is the pension stronger across the country? 804 memebers have to borrow 18 million from ups because their sep is under-funded, its an all ups local no one to blame but ups here.

Great now we are getting 4 dollars an hour over 5 years, minus 35 cents a year that will be deferred, which leaves us gaining $2 and 25 cents over 5 years, but half in aug and the other half in feb of every year!

With all the concessions of the language, from ptimers having to request their quarantee, to starting at minimum wage $8.50 with no medical, to the no new 22.3 jobs. Now lets talk about the subcontracting language, lets not because it makes me sick to my stomach. Now sups can work under act of god, what is an act of god? I have an idea even god wouldnt want anyone to work here for this petty paycheck!

I need to request an 8 hour day 5 days in advance and you can still screw me out of it? Then i have to work 8.5 to quailfy for penalty for a no overtime request. 9.5 now has new language that will have 9.5 grievances tied up in arbitrations for 2 to 3 years before we get paid. And in finishing the new language on grievance and arbitration rulings having no precedence on future cases will tie our hands and have the union at arbitration hearing everyday of the week instead of in the buildings were they should be!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think there are a lot of people that forget (or don't know) that Ron Carey got fired from UPS and got his job back. He has held a vendetta against UPS ever since. He would like to take the company to it's knees. ....Guess who goes along with it if he would have succeeded?
Maybe he had goodreason to dislike this company! Do you know why he was fired? Im sure he was guilty of that to right? Ups has never fired anybody that was innocent of their allegations, so he had to be guilty, but yet again how did he get his job back? That would leave a bitter taste in my mouth to!

gandydancer

Fired by UPS? Gee, THAT proves he's a really bad apple!

Tell you what: After working at UPS for about fiteen years I was sent a suspension letter for being four minutes late, then - a few weeks later - a firing letter for being two minutes late. So I grieved it and never heard about it again. No suit ever said "boo" to me about it. Is this a strange place to work, or what?

UPS Lifer

Fired by UPS? Gee, THAT proves he's a really bad apple!

Tell you what: After working at UPS for about fiteen years I was sent a suspension letter for being four minutes late, then - a few weeks later - a firing letter for being two minutes late. So I grieved it and never heard about it again. No suit ever said "boo" to me about it. Is this a strange place to work, or what?

Yeah! What led up to the suspension for being 4 minutes late? I am sure you and Ron Carey are innocent of all charges!

There are always two sides of a story. For Ron....It was never about the Teamsters...it was about Ron. All he cared about was what type of damage he could do to your company...and you let him do it!

UPS Lifer

Maybe he had goodreason to dislike this company! Do you know why he was fired? Im sure he was guilty of that to right? Ups has never fired anybody that was innocent of their allegations, so he had to be guilty, but yet again how did he get his job back? That would leave a bitter taste in my mouth to!

It does not matter whether he had good reason or not for being fired....that is not the issue. The issue is - he ran one of the largest unions in the world and owed it to you to run it with a clear mind.

I admit that he did what few people have been able to do. He rose to the top, and he campaigned hard to the Teamsters and the national public and won. The problem is that he could have accomplished so much more for you if he did not have a vendetta against UPS. The central states and each UPSer as well as the company paid the price for HIS victory!

You don't have to preach to me about the terrible things that UPS does to its employees, etc. etc.. I do not see this company through rose colored glasses.

For every horror story you tell me, I am sure I can match it!!!

What you need to do is bench mark UPS to other companies and organizations that have over 200,000 plus employees and you will see that you work for one of the world class companies in the world.

Apparently you do not realize how lucky you are that Ron Carey has nothing to do with the Teamsters anymore...

Bye Bye Ron....may you rest in peace!:devil:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It does not matter whether he had good reason or not for being fired....that is not the issue.

I agree its not the issue. I keep hearing that Carey was fired by UPS at some point. Does ANYONE have an explanation for his 'unjust' termination? Seeing as how he was so p*ssed at UPS and so led the crippling '97 strike, I'd think SOMEONE would know WHY he was fired! An explanation from a Teamster and a UPS perspective would be nice. -Rocky

local804

I agree its not the issue. I keep hearing that Carey was fired by UPS at some point. Does ANYONE have an explanation for his 'unjust' termination? Seeing as how he was so p*ssed at UPS and so led the crippling '97 strike, I'd think SOMEONE would know WHY he was fired! An explanation from a Teamster and a UPS perspective would be nice. -Rocky

When I go back to work, if I remember, I will ask some of the old feeder drivers that worked with him why he got fired. He probably left a package not out of sight or forgot to use the handrail. I will let ya know.