Rough morning for the competition.

McFeely

Huge Member
I've always wondered how friend'd up it would be to be on the side of the road in a neighborhood or something and have some jackass hit me in my truck while I'm sorting packages. That'd be one helluva ride.

Star B

White Lightening
The Ground driver that died was the one waiting in her broken down tractor. She was pulled off the road and was hit by the other truck. BS way to go out. RIP.
Just checked the website and it said she was outside the truck... still.. a BS way to go.

Guzick, whose double trailor truck was disabled, got out of her truck and an International semi-trailer tractor truck, which was driving east on I-80, veered onto the shoulder, hitting the rear of the first Freightliner, then the second Freightliner and Guzick, according to police.

bbsam

Staff member
I wonder if this is considered a "preventable accident" by the company. Were hazards deployed? Triangles?

overflowed

Almost everything is preventable to the company. You should know that. In San Francisco where I was trained we were instructed to never park in a yellow zone in fear of being boxed in. Always just double park. I came out of a building and my front bumper was pulled straight out in front of the truck. 3 young women were smoking on the corner and told me a city van hit and run. There was glass everywhere and pieces of metal. Always was curious what the driver said to their sup. They tried to charge me for that accident for a few weeks. I just kept reminding them that the training I received was to do what I did. Double park. If I didn't keep pushing the issue I'm sure I would have been charged.

bbsam

Staff member
Almost everything is preventable to the company. You should know that.

I do know that. I'm just expressing my inner disgust at how this company thinks. Incidentally, they have a book that spells it out for them. Some national trucking manual. I wonder who wrote that.

bbsam

Staff member
Lol. You are the first and last person to call a farming town of 2300 people in northwest Illinois, 8 miles from the Wisconsin border, "the ghetto".

bbsam

Staff member
It's being a jerk calling into question how the company classifies the accident? Explain that to me please.

bacha29

BTW, that is not a joke. This company does crap like that.
What OF doesn't understand is the cold hard fact that when it comes to wrecks the first hurdle that has to be cleared is the question of prevention. Before you can even file the insurance claims you have to satisfy X regarding the prevention issue. It has always been a sore spot with Ground contractors. Some years back the safety director came in and starting giving us a sermon on safety. Having had enough I stood up and said , " look your company divested itself of every workplace health and safety related liability as it pertains to this initiative yet you're standing here barking at us about safety"..His response? . "I cant' argue that point". He retired a few months later. Yet despite the fact that the liability monkey is on your back they still act like they stand to lose money. The only thing they were worried about is the fact that Marsh/Protective have them notice of their intention to cancel the fleet insurance contract. They searched worldwide and found no one so they had to go hat in hand and ask Protective to take them back. BTW. In the first 5 or 6 years of the so called "work accident" policy it only had a lifetime medical expense benefit of $250,000 ,ridiculously low even for that time. After myself and I'm sure others got on them about that they finally raised it to $750,000.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh. I get that. That doesn't change how the company addresses the accident. We can have 1000 RIP's and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you think Fedex or UPS glosses over something that potentially contributes to huge financial loss, you are seriously delusional. This will be microscopically investigated from every possible angle.