RTW passes in Michigan

UPS ... the only company in the world where 50 hrs a week is partime!!!!!!!!!!!!!The starting payscale needs to move up....I dont think going from $8.00 an hr almost 30 years ago to $8.50 0r $9.OO AN HR in 2012 the union deserves any dues from the partimers!!!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
UPS ... the only company in the world where 50 hrs a week is partime!!!!!!!!!!!!!The starting payscale needs to move up....I dont think going from $8.00 an hr almost 30 years ago to $8.50 0r $9.OO AN HR in 2012 the union deserves any dues from the partimers!!!!

It should (starting wage) move up but remember is OT over 5 and the benefits please do not forget them. If you work at Micky D's and say "do you want fries with that" you don't get health care,pension,dental,disability,and regular raises,maybe just some ketchup.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It should (starting wage) move up but remember is OT over 5 and the benefits please do not forget them. If you work at Micky D's and say "do you want fries with that" you don't get health care,pension,dental,disability,and regular raises,maybe just some ketchup.

How many of these actually use their benefits? I say bump the starting wage to $10/hr w/benefits or $15/hr w/o.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What are you talking about??? You bombed as a loader cause you needed more training? Then you went out on routes cold and didn't make it in less than 9.5? The horror! What inhumanity! But you really threw me with the last quip...the "republican" stance of helping hand and spreading the wealth???
I read this post three times and I come to the conclusion I've had too much Christmas "cheer".

If it takes a week for you to learn a route, then you just plain _ _ _ _ as a driver. You don't even know the basics of your job. Sorry but those are the facts you posted here. See correction below.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
104Feeders, with all due respect, handing out dues books and and getting in the face of every new ptmer and letting them know
that the union is there for them and HOW is not "holding someone's hand"-and quite frankly if it was, would there be a problem with that, if it ultimately meant a stronger union in the end, with a more-informed workforce willing to make the union-fought rules work for them (e.g. more part-timers fighting the war against supervisors working)?

As kids we have school to get us ready for life, and learn how to cope with it. Companies give orientations that consist of more than "If you need help, talk to your supervisor or some older person on your dept). Why doesn't the Union take a similar approach.

When UPS first hired me as a loader, they failed to "hold my hand", as it were, using THEIR prescribed methods with the graduated work load. You would say they set me up for failure, and so it would probably not surprise you that I bombed, causing drivers to leave late every morning and eventually prompting the Center Mgr to verbally berate me in a screaming tirade one morning. However, nothing changed until they did some training and "held my hand".

On at least three occasions in my previous driving center I was thrown cold onto a route; little wonder I did not make 9.5 during the first three weeks, if not longer, on those routes. The first route I ever learned I was the helper to the main driver for 3 days; in my current center the oncars stay with you for about a week; much less problems for UPS due to my stumblings under those scenarios.

You are basically throwing new union members "into the cold" with the current methods (making them come to you). This will not work well in the long run.

I find it ironic, given the union's democratic leaning, how much the more involved Union members position here is reminiscent of the Republican stance concerning giving people a helping hand, and being more generous with spreading the wealth.

If it takes a week for you to learn a route, then you just plain _ _ _ _ as a driver. You don't even know the basics of your job. Sorry but those are the facts you posted here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In rtw states does the company have to honor a 1 non union to 6 union member driving jobs if so if you are part time and ever want to drive stay in the union

I have not been successful in parsing this sentence out but I will take a guess.

UPS does honor the contractual language in RTW states in regards to 6 Union members going driving before a non-union person is hired into a driving position.

If you are Union, you stay in the Union when you go driving.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If it takes a week for you to learn a route, then you just plain _ _ _ _ as a driver. You don't even know the basics of your job. Sorry but those are the facts you posted here.

I'm sorry, but what method of the job teaches one area knowledge in less than a week? 30in selection area? Knowing your next five stops? The perfect EDD? Nevermind you are talking several weeks out of my UPS career (and note where I received proper training I learned the route in about 3 days). I didn't make it this far by constantly staying on the radar by _ _ _ _ _ _ _ as a driver.

I remember in driver training it was pointed out that even if you lived on your route it would take you some time to learn it as a driver should.

Why is it hard for you guys to acknowledge that more needs to be done about extending a welcoming hand to new union members? (you don't have to answer Dragon; you aren't in the union of course)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The language says:
Part time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six part-time to every one outside hire).

So "employees" is referring to bargaining unit members not necessarily Union members. There is language already in Article 3 sec 2 that would require Union membership on the 31st day of employment were such a provision allowed under the law. In that case all bargaining unit members would already be Union members upon their 31st day.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Sarcasm is one of my favorite types of humor. Nice job!

After one year, most P/T UPS employees earn $10.50/hour & have full no-cost health insurance. After one year, most P/T Home Dept, Walmart, etc. (similarly skilled employees) earn $7.50 (or local minimum wage, which ever is higher). After 10 years, most P/T UPS employees are banking close to $20/hour & have full no-cost health insurance as well as retirement benefits. After 10 years, most P/T Home Depot, Walmart, etc. employees are barely breaking $10/hour with no benefits -- other than the ability to work 40-hours/hour as "part-time" perhaps. So please don't tell me the union does nothing for its PT employees, because that's B.S.

Reality check: companies that pay premium wages for low/no skilled employees (Costco, Whole Foods, etc.) have the leverage to pick and choose employees it wants to keep. Many (most?) Walmart employees would never "make it" as a Costco employee. If UPS paid premium wages & was therefore offered that leverage (during the probationary period), many of the PTers working today would've been cut. Instead, they're earning decent wages.

brown_trousers

After one year, most P/T UPS employees earn $10.50/hour & have full no-cost health insurance. After one year, most P/T Home Dept, Walmart, etc. (similarly skilled employees) earn $7.50 (or local minimum wage, which ever is higher). After 10 years, most P/T UPS employees are banking close to $20/hour & have full no-cost health insurance as well as retirement benefits. After 10 years, most P/T Home Depot, Walmart, etc. employees are barely breaking $10/hour with no benefits -- other than the ability to work 40-hours/hour as "part-time" perhaps. So please don't tell me the union does nothing for its PT employees, because that's B.S.

Reality check: companies that pay premium wages for low/no skilled employees (Costco, Whole Foods, etc.) have the leverage to pick and choose employees it wants to keep. Many (most?) Walmart employees would never "make it" as a Costco employee. If UPS paid premium wages & was therefore offered that leverage (during the probationary period), many of the PTers working today would've been cut. Instead, they're earning decent wages.

Your numbers arent anywhere close to correct! At 6.5 years, as a part-timer, I was making 13.79/hr. There's no way I would have been close to 20/hr at 10 years

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Your numbers arent anywhere close to correct! At 6.5 years, as a part-timer, I was making 13.79/hr. There's no way I would have been close to 20/hr at 10 years

My numbers are indeed correct. After 10 years, I was banking close to $20/hour. I haven't been here much longer than that...

brown_trousers

My numbers are indeed correct. After 10 years, I was banking close to $20/hour. I haven't been here much longer than that...

Nope.. doing the math it would have taken a $1.77 raise each year for me to reach $20/hr at 10yrs seniority. We dont get 1.77 a year in raises! And my figures are probably more current since I just left part-time last july for a driver job

Macbrother

Per the national master, you are making 11.87 after 4 years. To make $20 at 10, you'd need a $1.35 raise / year. We don't get anything near that. Here's another reality check for you: Do you think Wal-mart employees do anywhere near the amount of work or are under anywhere near the constant pressure of making production that that UPS employees are? Do you think they're yelled at or threatened because they had one misload? Do you think they deal with anything like the chaos we deal with on a daily basis? Are their hours anywhere near as extreme and inflexible as ours?

I happen to work beside some of the finest, hard-working, intelligent men and women I know. To claim I or they wouldn't "make it" at costco's knowing the **** we put up with is insulting. But if you want to reduce the capability of your preload and future drivers, if you do want to fill it with people that wouldn't make it at Costco's, by all means continue letting UPS's starting wage fall further and further behind inflation.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Might want to do a little reading on the Walmart culture. They have these morning Ooh Rah meetings just like something out of Gung Ho, won't pay you sick pay unless you are sick for two consecutive days, screw them every year on profit sharing, and pretty much just keep them where they are at without hope of promotion. The warehouse operations are no different in the workloads & production pressure than other similar operations like Costco except that the pay is more than 30% less.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Might want to do a little reading on the Walmart culture. They have these morning Ooh Rah meetings just like something out of Gung Ho, won't pay you sick pay unless you are sick for two consecutive days, screw them every year on profit sharing, and pretty much just keep them where they are at without hope of promotion. The warehouse operations are no different in the workloads & production pressure than other similar operations like Costco except that the pay is more than 30% less.

My normal time to go to Walmart is very early and I usually see them in a circle shouting at their rah rah meetings!

E Roldan

My check was for 103 dollars last night and I should gladly hand over extra money to the union who doesn’t care about me UNITIL I become a ft’er? Work twice as hard as someone who is in the union but watches as packages fall around him because “you can’t do anything to a union guy”(direct quote from a supv)? Wait where do I sign up? Unions aren’t bad but if you aren’t going to hold anyone to standards because you’re afraid of what the union can do it’s a joke. Call me an idealist but if you get paid you should work, but the unions aren’t representing that, and that’s why new guys like me aren’t even trying to join.

Justaname

Nope.. doing the math it would have taken a $1.77 raise each year for me to reach $20/hr at 10yrs seniority. We dont get 1.77 a year in raises! And my figures are probably more current since I just left part-time last july for a driver job
We have 2 10 year pt employees at my center making a little over 19. I don't know how to do the math but it's some how correct.