Rumor some big accounts going to fed ex.

W

want to retire

Have you heard of the "Five Seeing Habits For Getting A Sales Lead"? Probably not, but is is something coporate came up with, tips on how to gather a lead. It will require more time than shoving a DIAD in someone's face for their signature. You are suppose to-according to corporate-regularly engage your businesses and shippers in CONVERSATION about their shipping needs, time allowances or not. You'd blame mgmt for not allowing you to do this. I just do it,cause I happen to enjoy it, and let the chips at home fall where they may. But I won't lose my job over it.

Whose higher-your oncar, center manager, or corporate?

Your hour lunch and you obeying the speed limit are not going to keep your customers happy and keep them from going to FedEx, but you will-and should-fight for them. Maintaining good relations with the shippers and receivers on our routes is also necessary to our survival. Don't let it be bullied out.

Dear friend, "time allowances or not".....this is bs. I have been around a long time. Being over allowed puts you on a report. Way over=bad.....way under=bad. Answering for being over allowed on the wor with "I was doing BD" is not going to fly. Corporate watches your productivity to the second. I don't know if diad still allows BD entries.......any time you ever entered such....... mgt. was right on it telling you not to..........matter of fact they altered timecards to do it. Corporate talks a great game but reality is another matter.

HomeDelivery

Walk into a fast food store, manager says wait a minute while they deal with customers. Driver says , "I can't wait a minute, you have to sign now!" Mgr says, "I can't sign now!" Driver says, "So you are refusing to sign?" "Yes." Driver marks packages refused and returns to shipper. No one refused the package. But many drivers do this, and shippers may take notice. It is wrong, and I will not do that, even if my center mgr directed me to (and none has). That is what I mean by a "viable package".

i can see that with Fedex HD or Ground, because they're normally not getting paid by the hour... come on, wait that extra minute to make service!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Want to retire, I have put done this many times and nothing adverse happen. They'll fume, get mad, but in the end there is nothing they will do; afterall, its their orders, too. Maybe they'll ride with you, but that's alright; they'll see what you go through and figure something out. And no driver is over-allowed an hour-plus because he waited at a couple stores rather than be ignorant, or talked with a couple shippers/receivers about their needs. There is more to it than that.

packageguy

The rumor on the fed ex board is ups is going to lose a lot of volume from 3 major accounts starting January 2nd. If true this may affect how some of us bid routes. My route would be affected dramatically if we lost amazon prime volume.

We hear this every year, We lose some and gain some,
as long as we all eat we will be happy....

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Want to retire, I have put done this many times and nothing adverse happen. They'll fume, get mad, but in the end there is nothing they will do; afterall, its their orders, too. Maybe they'll ride with you, but that's alright; they'll see what you go through and figure something out. And no driver is over-allowed an hour-plus because he waited at a couple stores rather than be ignorant, or talked with a couple shippers/receivers about their needs. There is more to it than that.

You don't sound like you've ever gotten the full-court press from management. The numbers are the only thing that matters. Our immediate sups will tell you that they understand this, that or another, but they still have to answer to the almighty numbers. It's all that matters. And who said the drivers are hurting customer service? Sure, there is always bad apples, but the drivers made and still make this company. That said, every route always has some person who will push the limits of business and common sense. Some customers will always say "I can't sign, write a check, I'm not done packing even though it's tie for the pickup", etc. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Bottom line: you'll never please every customer, not matter how far you go. I never used to waste time on those customers. I concentrated on the customers who were reasonable. Most of the time, the nutty customers were the ones who didn't get much, shipped out little. A lot of them acted like delaying us was a game.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like Amazon is for real for Fedex Ground. We have a local shipper that has been shipping Amazon orders out for the past couple months. Seems like Amazon is setting up their own warehouse network using existing facilities that don't cost them a cent. Smart.

stealth8

I heard today that StubHub is leaving FDX and switching to UPS. That will be a very profitable account as almost 100% are NDA letters.

purplesky

So what would prevent UPS FROM BECOMING AN ONLINE RETAILER IN THE FUTURE? NOTHING! I PREDICT AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE IF AMAZON,Walmart,Zappos,etc actually ever do really push UPS into a corner and dont want to play ball then WATCH OUT FOLKS! UPS HAS THE CASH,UPS BUILT AMAZON FROM THE GROUND UP AND MADE THEM WHAT THEY ARE TODAY(UPS IN A SENSE OWNS PART OF AMAZON).Think how easily UPS could become an online seller and compete with Amazon. Before you laugh at this idea stop and think about it. All the groundwork is layed out and ready to go. BYE BYE AMAZON!Obviously this has been discussed before BUT AMAZON IS JUST A WAREHOUSE THAT SELLS STUFF AND WE PICK IT UP AND DELIVER IT. UPS COULD JUST DO IT ALL! UPS DOESNT NEED AMAZON! I use Amazon prime alot and 95% of my stuff is sent UPS. UPS AND AMAZON HAVE A BUSINESS AND LOGISTICS RELATIONSHIP THAT ISNT GOING TO BE BROKEN LIKE AN APPLE OR WALMART CONTRACT. I wouldnt be surprised if Ups already owns part of Amazon in one way or another.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Amazon isn't contemptuous of their customer, not sure how the current UPS environment would adapt to actually caring that we lose customers, no matter how small.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Dracula, if a customer shipping something isn't ready when i get there, I offer to come back, even if it is one ground pkg. Now of course, there are limits. I am well aware of the numbers game. Provided I can stay within the numbers game, I do whatever I must for the customer, provided it's reasonable.

Just last night, got an oncall for a house pickup. As soon as the guy opened the door-and took the pkg I was delivering to him-he said , "They haven't sent me a label." I saw in the board there was a shipper number (not one of those seemingly made up ones used for credit cards, like XXX9XX), so I asked for the address where it was being shipped to. He had to go find it. Long story short, I filled out an ASD using the address he gave me and the shipping number in the board.

He eventually told me the box had been sitting there for 3 weeks. Everytime a driver came, they'd say there was nothing they can do without a label. He'd call the company, even WROTE them, but they never sent the label, just kept calling us to make the pickup. Additionally, he was to be refunded $500 once the items had been returned. I didn't know that, or his trials in getting a label. Just someone who I could help. And I do that as much as I can, 9.5 deadline be willing.

Ms.PacMan

.....Provided I can stay within the numbers game, I do whatever I must for the customer, provided it's reasonable.

Just last night, got an oncall for a house pickup. As soon as the guy opened the door-and took the pkg I was delivering to him-he said , "They haven't sent me a label." I saw in the board there was a shipper number (not one of those seemingly made up ones used for credit cards, like XXX9XX), so I asked for the address where it was being shipped to. He had to go find it. Long story short, I filled out an ASD using the address he gave me and the shipping number in the board.

He eventually told me the box had been sitting there for 3 weeks. Everytime a driver came, they'd say there was nothing they can do without a label. He'd call the company, even WROTE them, but they never sent the label, just kept calling us to make the pickup. Additionally, he was to be refunded $500 once the items had been returned. I didn't know that, or his trials in getting a label. Just someone who I could help. And I do that as much as I can, 9.5 deadline be willing.

Now suppose that shipper (who is our customer - not the man at the door) has a no return policy and we lose the account because we begin making business decisions for them. I believe it was a similar scenario that caused us to lose Dell years ago (they wanted to be able to save the sale). Not to mention the fact that most returns need an RA number from the shipper in order to be accepted and refunded correctly. If this man never gets his refund now because the shipper has no record of his return thru an RA number - who gets blamed? UPS? APettyJ? And why would you assume that the address the man had was the address that processed returns. Are you a brand new driver?

TUT

Speaking of Amazon. I rec'd a new car radio for Christmas. I knew I wanted an EQ for it as well. So on the 26th I ordered it from Amazon and got it next day'd to me for $4. I got it, it was sent UPS Next Day Saver from Vegas for $4, amazing. That was also a Rural Residential delivery. How is there money in this?