Running local union office have a few questions

Kevin211

Hello all,
I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer. (If elected into office)

Would my stock option as an employee be frozen (unable to purchase stock at our discounted price or would i still be able to purchase it)

Has anyone ever left ups to go into the union, then come back to ups? and was there a "hard time" getting back in? (under contract they must hold our "spot" for us to return to)

thanks

bluehdmc

I don't really know the answer to the stock question. I purchase other stock thru Bank of New York Mellon, they just deduct the amount from my checking account monthly. (there are some other places that do this for other stocks, BNY Mellon just happens to handle these particular other stocks).

At the 5% discount and since the purchase price is whatever the price is at the time of purchase the stock purchase plan isn't really that much of a bargain, just convienent.

As far as returning to your job after holding union office, I guess it would depend on the management team whether you got a "hard time" or not.

tracker2762

We've had a few drivers go from driving to a union position and back to driving. There is nothing to be let back into, you never left. You keep you senority but you may have to wait for the next bid to choose a route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We've had a few drivers go from driving to a union position and back to driving. There is nothing to be let back into, you never left. You keep you senority but you may have to wait for the next bid to choose a route.

Depending on how long they plan on being gone, wouldn't it be easier for them to keep their bid run and have cover drivers run it or do they put the run up for bid and when he comes back he is a FT cover driver until the next bid cycle? We have never had this happen here so I am curious as to how this would work.

tracker2762

The drivers that this has happened to were high seniority drivers. He had lost his reelection bid as a business agent and he replaced the driver who won the election. I don't think they plan on returning to package car or feeders besides they have that office for the duration the their term. It would not be right to hold the route for them. When a driver leaves to fill that position a cover driver does run it, in this instance it was the one who lost the election so they just traded positions.

JonFrum

It's against the law for UPS to give anything of value to a union official. That's why UPS gets censured when they snuggle too close with Hoffa.

However, as a union official, employed by the Union, you are on leave from UPS, so you are still considered a UPS employee as well. The stock discount is available to all UPSers who choose to take advantage, so you are not being singled out for favorable treatment. It isn't a bribe. There is no quid pro quo. UPS wouldn't even necessarily know you took advantage of the discount, to what extent, or how often.

So my educated guess is that you still get the discount.

But why would you want to buy UPS stock? If you've regularly walked along the seashore for the past decade and saw pieces of driftwood dead in the water, occasionally being lifted or lowered by the waves and the tides, do you say, "That reminds me, I need to purchase more UPS stock?" :wink2:

Kevin211

It's against the law for UPS to give anything of value to a union official. That's why UPS gets censured when they snuggle too close with Hoffa.

However, as a union official, employed by the Union, you are on leave from UPS, so you are still considered a UPS employee as well. The stock discount is available to all UPSers who choose to take advantage, so you are not being singled out for favorable treatment. It isn't a bribe. There is no quid pro quo. UPS wouldn't even necessarily know you took advantage of the discount, to what extent, or how often.

So my educated guess is that you still get the discount.

But why would you want to buy UPS stock? If you've regularly walked along the seashore for the past decade and saw pieces of driftwood dead in the water, occasionally being lifted or lowered by the waves and the tides, do you say, "That reminds me, I need to purchase more UPS stock?" :wink2:

Thank you Jon
The reason i ask this about the stock is that this is my retirement.Do i plan on coming back to ups...no i plan on going higher in the union (over time). But it's allways nice to know that i can return if i get voted out.

You get your job back, but I don't think you can purchase stock under the discounted program since the capital to purchase them come out of your ups wages.

Omega man

Hello all,
I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer. (If elected into office)

Would my stock option as an employee be frozen (unable to purchase stock at our discounted price or would i still be able to purchase it)

Has anyone ever left ups to go into the union, then come back to ups? and was there a "hard time" getting back in? (under contract they must hold our "spot" for us to return to)

thanks

If this post is real and you truly are about to take a Union position then you should not be buying UPS stock or asking for advice about it on this forum. Buying UPS stock would conflict with your duties to do what is best for the members of your Local. If you don't know this then you do not belong as an Official in your Local.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If this post is real and you truly are about to take a Union position then you should not be buying UPS stock or asking for advice about it on this forum. Buying UPS stock would conflict with your duties to do what is best for the members of your Local. If you don't know this then you do not belong as an Official in your Local.

I would think that a low level union official would not have access to information or influence on decisions to the point where any stock activity would be considered insider trading.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This post does not change my opinion of your ability to think in a rational, intelligent manner.

I would think that a low level union official would not have access to information or influence on decisions to the point where any stock activity would be considered insider trading.

Agreed. Almost all supervisors and managers are not restricted so no one in a local union would have any material knowledge.