Rural Deferment

JustDeliverIt

What about the DELV trailer?
It's not all Sure post

This stuff is annoying. They load this stuff on pallets and when preload is done the put it on the belt by where my truck is loaded. There are regular ground and above packages there and I’ve seen stuff for my route. Streets I deliver to every day. And they hold it for tomorrow. And when it is on my truck the next day, it’s the only one I have for the house.

We used to clear the building every day. Deliver whatever is there. You got it to a customer a day early, great. Now we’re lucky if it’s on the right truck. If it isn’t, they’re more worried about how many miles extra it will take to service the package than actually providing the service we are paid to provide. And god forbid we take one of the drivers that are laid off and have them chase misloads like they used to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You wouldn't have the trailers to do what you guys think UPS can do. You'd need 500 trailers hiding somewhere to get to a million packages. And that's just 5% of total volume for one day. If you had days of volume in the system, you're talking thousands of trailers. It's not possible to take in customer volume and "adjust" it company wide. What gets picked up has to be delivered.
Wut? This is not new, We have tried it before. It failed.

They stack stops in the center for tomorrow. Driver drives right by stops because they have air or a pick up, sometimes to the stop that has pulled work. Then, the driver does a split because the company cuts routes and the driver is light.

dudebro

There's a difference between holding work for the next day because you have another stop for the same address, which is what we've always done with SurePost, and the entire org "holding back" volume to lighten dispatch.

As for the DELV trailer, usually futures and known closed should go there too, so there's a case for packages not SurePost in there. I know we're looking at rural deferral of packages too, it is more efficient.

These days, I wouldn't be surprised if Wall St is patting our executive team on the back and raising our ESG score as a result of it. We say we saved x tons of CO2 and someone picks up a glass trophy somewhere.

Where is the union with this remote delivery? So easy with today's technology to create a customer awareness campaign.
We’re going to see. I know my local is good at defending seniority violations. We’re starting Deferred Delivery soon. 10 routes will be run just 3 days a week. Those high seniority drivers —some who haven’t done another route in many years—will be fighting for the few open routes on the deferred days. We’ll see how our mgmt team defines “seniority” …

Brownwind

We’re going to see. I know my local is good at defending seniority violations. We’re starting Deferred Delivery soon. 10 routes will be run just 3 days a week. Those high seniority drivers —some who haven’t done another route in many years—will be fighting for the few open routes on the deferred days. We’ll see how our mgmt team defines “seniority” …
Not fighting for open routes but taking what route we want to take from anyone with lower seniority.
Seniority is always king in our local.👍👍

HyperBrn

Been doing Deferred delivery at my center since April/May. All it really does is piss off the farmers that we deliver to who have to wait an extra day for important deliveries and piss off the drivers who end up being dispatched 12-14hrs the day after their route was deferred.