Russia Claims Ukraine Standoff Is Over

bacha29

I would trust Putin as much as I trust trump.
Keep your eyes on small very unstable but strategically important Moldova. As for Ukraine. it's a country nearly the size of Texas, flat as Kansas 45 million people, 7-10 hours ahead of the US and has a high water table and when the frost goes out it could get pretty soft and muddy for heavy armaments. So if he's going to do it he needs to go now or wait until summer when everything dries up enough.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for Joe Biden. Total failure of an administration.
This is simply not true

Who the sitting US president happens to be is totally irrelevant to what Putin does in Ukraine, Crimea, Georgia, or Moldova

No US president is going to start a nuclear war over these countries, Russia has a LOT to gain in taking territories that pipelines run through so they don't have to pay transit fees

Putin knows those to be facts and will continue to push as hard as he can get away with, in the interest of Russia

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This is simply not true

Who the sitting US president happens to be is totally irrelevant to what Putin does in Ukraine, Crimea, Georgia, or Moldova

No US president is going to start a nuclear war over these countries, Russia has a LOT to gain in taking territories that pipelines run through so they don't have to pay transit fees

Putin knows those to be facts and will continue to push as hard as he can get away with, in the interest of Russia
A pipeline is exactly the reason why I said we wouldn't be in this situation if not for Joe Biden.

rickyb

Power turns politicians into liars; communist politicians lied far more and greater than capitalist ones

You just don't get it's about human nature, not whatever chincy you economic system we're using
capitalism seeks to undo whatever democracy seeks to accomplish by money which is power

george lucas not a huge believer in capitalist democracy, nor are many on the left

you dont understand the difference between democracy and centralized power

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
A pipeline is exactly the reason why I said we wouldn't be in this situation if not for Joe Biden.
Not that pipeline....

There are lines that run through southern Ukraine that happen to perfectly match up with likely Russian moves

Planned future lines through Poland, combined with ownership of those southern Ukrainian lines would enrich Russia for a generation and completely defang Ukraine basically forever

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
capitalism seeks to undo whatever democracy seeks to accomplish by money which is power

george lucas not a huge believer in capitalist democracy, nor are many on the left

you dont understand the difference between democracy and centralized power
I got a new flash for you:
Human nature will corrupt any system you can ever come up with

rickyb

I got a new flash for you:
Human nature will corrupt any system you can ever come up with
and yet we choose certain systems which are more democratic over others

and i would argue most ppl dont understand the democracy or power concentration of the economy

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not that pipeline....

There are lines that run through southern Ukraine that happen to perfectly match up with likely Russian moves

Planned future lines through Poland, combined with ownership of those southern Ukrainian lines would enrich Russia for a generation and completely defang Ukraine basically forever
Nord stream 2 is absolutely a factor. Biden was warned Russian aggression would follow if he allowed it to go through without sanctions.

That's exactly what happened, and the first thing Germany did was get on it's knees for Russia, exactly as predicted.

rickyb

Nord stream 2 is absolutely a factor. Biden was warned Russian aggression would follow if he allowed it to go through without sanctions.

That's exactly what happened, and the first thing Germany did was get on it's knees for Russia, exactly as predicted.
Europe is now deciding whether to go with china or go with america

us empire coming to a close

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

Germany wants to be beholden to Russia, there's nothing we can do to stop it; Germany and Russia as allies isnt a new idea, it's in both their strategic interests going back centuries (minus the last one which was an abberation)

Next we just need a resurgent Hungary and a good old partitioning of Poland and time can be a flat circle again

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Germany wants to be beholden to Russia, there's nothing we can do to stop it; Germany and Russia as allies isnt a new idea, it's in both their strategic interests going back centuries (minus the last one which was an abberation)

Next we just need a resurgent Hungary and a good old partitioning of Poland and time can be a flat circle again
Geeeeezussss, I admire your calm acceptance of such a bleak vision of the future, fren.

Listen, I don't want America to play a leading role in this conflict. In fact I believe Democrats are the real war hawks and are hoping for escalation.
But let's not pretend the fact that Biden exudes weakness didn't play a big role here. Him being a little bitch about Nord stream 2 is a part of that.

rickyb

Geeeeezussss, I admire your calm acceptance of such a bleak vision of the future, fren.

Listen, I don't want America to play a leading role in this conflict. In fact I believe Democrats are the real war hawks and are hoping for escalation.
But let's not pretend the fact that Biden exudes weakness didn't play a big role here. Him being a little bitch about Nord stream 2 is a part of that.
yes republicans have done an excellent job drawing down NATO over the year :S

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
This is simply not true

You completely miss the point and go off on a “US President starting a nuclear war” tangent.

I’ll break it down simply:

The weaklings get taken advantage of more than the strong ones.

You can Google all kinds of things and paraphrase them here, but Biden is too weak to be in the position he’s in. He’s worse than Carter and Clinton combined.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You completely miss the point and go off on a “US President starting a nuclear war” tangent.

I’ll break it down simply:

The weaklings get taken advantage of more than the strong ones.

You can Google all kinds of things and paraphrase them here, but Biden is too weak to be in the position he’s in. He’s worse than Carter and Clinton combined.
at no point did i go on a "us president starting a nuclear war" tangent

all US presidents are weaklings here because they have NOTHING in their arsenal; we've pushed sanctions as far as they'll go, over dumb stuff, and won't use military force so what's left

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i just don't care about Russia at all, and i'm not afraid of them since:
A. they don't have an Internationalist agenda anymore
B. they just don't have the power or money to project outside Eastern Europe

China worries me because:
A. they have an Internationalist agenda
B. they spend huge sums of money subverting our political system
C. they currently DO have the money, just not the power, to project outside of Asia; but that can change