RV LIFESTYLE

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I'm kind of the opposite. I prefer more rustic/scenic campgrounds like State/Federal Parks. Most of those have just electricity and a place to "dump" on the way out. Full hook-up campgrounds are getting too expensive--$45 or $50 a night. I carry a 2000 watt Honda generator with me that gives me enough power to run everything except the AC. Two of the best places I've camped had no hook-ups.

I like that idea in some cases. We've dry camped a bit too, state park, Walmart, rest stop. Can't beat the price. We have a beautiful state park 3 miles away with everything from no hookups to full for $25.

rod

Retired 22 years
I like that idea in some cases. We've dry camped a bit too, state park, Walmart, rest stop. Can't beat the price. We have a beautiful state park 3 miles away with everything from no hookups to full for $25.

The prices really vary from state to state when it comes to state park costs. I think Mn. state parks are one of the the highest price. Not only do they charge you for camping but you also have to buy a daily pass for your vehicle. Last year I took 2 motor scooters to one of our parks and they wanted daily pass permits on those also. Two years ago we camped along the Mississippi in a great state park in Iowa in the first week of Oct. (Off season) It cost 7 dollars for full hook-ups and no extra fees for my truck.
At 62 you can get a Golden Age pass for Federal parks for $10.00. It gives you half price camping at all Federal parks that run their own campgrounds. When we were in Yellowstone the campgrounds are run by a private bidder and they cost about 50 bucks a night and you are packed in like sardines. Some so tight you couldn't even put out an awning.

MC4YOU2

My state has that vehicle pass thing too, $10 annually when you register each one. We just do our tow vehicle, but they'd want each one we brought if we bought others.

We got the Golden Age pass too, but like you mentioned, the Yellowstone camps were not for us. The KOA in Yellowstone city was like $50 last time we stayed there about 5 years ago. Really nice, but pricey. Pretty drive from there through the main park. We've also come through Teton and Jackson Hole to get there. All beautiful parks.

On a side note, I have a 28' Forest River Wildwood that I'm doing an axle replacement on, so it's up on blocks right now. First time trailer buyers (like we were) have no idea how cheaply made these things are. We burned up tires on each trip and it took us awhile to discover the axles were too light to begin with and one bracket was slightly off.

I found out it's a fairly common thing in the industry, among other short cuts that a lot of manufacturers take. Put the smallest, cheapest wheels, tires and axles on and hope the warranty runs out before anyone notices.

tourists24

On a side note, I have a 28' Forest River Wildwood that I'm doing an axle replacement on, so it's up on blocks right now. First time trailer buyers (like we were) have no idea how cheaply made these things are. We burned up tires on each trip and it took us awhile to discover the axles were too light to begin with and one bracket was slightly off.

I found out it's a fairly common thing in the industry, among other short cuts that a lot of manufacturers take. Put the smallest, cheapest wheels, tires and axles on and hope the warranty runs out before anyone notices.
This is another concern I have as I study more about RVing. I guess that's just part of RV life?

tourists24

This is what I like so far to what fits what I'm looking for:

upload_2017-7-2_13-57-20.png

MC4YOU2

Looks pretty nice. The trade off is it's a little harder to park at a restaurant on the road than if you had a trailer/5th wheel that you could unhitch, but way easier to set up at the campsite. Nothing to hitch/unhitch, easier to fuel up.

I've seen tons on that type on the road and at campgrounds, so I think they're pretty popular. My best advice: figure out what you absolutely must have on the road with you and then see if it will all fit AND if it has the weight capacity. Amazingly, most rvs are almost at capacity just sitting on the sales lot. Lots of storage space doesn't necessarily mean lots of payload is available.

Somewhere on the vehicle you're looking at will be a GVWR decal that tells you how much the thing weighs at maximum capacity and what it's "dry weight" (what they sell it as) is. The difference is the available payload. Usually just a few hundred pounds.

This will have to include all passengers, water, propane, food, supplies, tools, etc.

Second thing I'd recommended is to find a forum on that brand/model and see what owners are saying.

Good luck, and I think you'll enjoy it overall. It's pretty cool to be able to just pull over and use the restroom, have lunch, bird watch, hear some tunes, whatever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do yourself a huge favor---get a AAA membership with an RV endorsement.

My brother bought a used RV and had a breakdown which would have cost him at least $700 just in towing had he not had the coverage.

clean hairy

I would do it in a heartbeat but the wife thinks she has too many friends around here to just pack up and leave for anything longer than maybe a month. It would have to be in a motorhome though. The wife has serious problems pulling a camper.
How many miles a day can you cover with the Wife pulling the camper?
Be nice and buy a truck to pull the camper so your does not have to!

rod

Retired 22 years
Just have all your guy buddies go with you.

My camper gets used about 50/50 between me and the wife and me and the guys. The wife likes the scenic trips and the guy trips are to racetracks in Mn. and the surrounding states. My camper swings both ways Indie.