RV LIFESTYLE

wkmac

I've always refused those for my wife's vehicles because she likes to trade every 3 years whereas I've still got my 2000 Tundra Limited V8 4x4.
I recently bought a Toyota 4Runner SR5 that I plan to upgrade/customize to my aesthetics and for light Off-Roading in the Smokies and out West.
I bought the basic 10 year / 100,000 mile with a another package I wanted for no extra money.
My chances of needing these just went up.

In the Smokies area, check out Parson Rd in Cades Cove and also some of the roads in Cataloochee. North Georgia, Coopers Creek and Blue Ridge WMA as very easy but enjoyable and beautiful rides. East side of Tray Mountain north of Helen off Georgia 356 becomes hard core near the top but the west approach off Georgia 75 in pretty mild. Some rocky spots of very small boulders near the top but put it in 4 low and let the truck pull itself. Don't get to aggressive (slow, steady and easy) or you risk snapping an axle. Do not go down the east side unless your rig is lifted and you either have a winch or someone with you does. Turn around at the top of Tray but make time to pull over, ample area to park, and enjoy the view. Great spot for lunch or even taking a portable grill. We like the Tembo Tusk Skottle if you want to look it up.

And if you do snap an axle, it just presents the opportunity to upgrade to something beefier. The Yota 4 Runner is a pretty good rig to start with. I was going to get a Tacoma TRD Pro built on same chassis as 4 Runner but I was too tall and big and I felt squeezed in but the Tundra, ah just right. I envy you in the choices of aftermarket options verses the Tundra.

In SW Colorado, Ophir Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Animas Fork and Alpine Loop. The abandoned silver mines are worth stopping and looking around. Animals Fork is an abandoned town with the old silver mine and you get the added scenery of the Animals river.

Some of these trails have some real exposure spots so if heights and a very narrow 1 lane trail bother you, you might rethink. Cinnamon is a cakewalk but beautiful. Several Youtubers have videos of the entire trails but sped up in film speed so you can see what you are getting into. They are great sources for trail recon.

And definitely make the trip from Silverton to Lake City and plan extra time because you will use the crap out of your camera. There is a side trail that leads to a beautiful alpine lake above the tree line but I've yet to recall the trail we took. This was 30 years ago oddly enough this week 30 years ago. Damn, time flies. It is one way in and out but well worth it as an grassy alpine meadow slopes down to the lake and makes a perfect spot for a picnic.

The area around Ouray , Silverton, Lake City & Telluride is an off road paradise and even in a month you can't see it all.

Also check out Black Canyon and the top of Grand Mesa. We are going to install light bars that really kick out nearly 300 yards as our intent is to do a night trip to the top of Imogene Pass, over 13k feet, for the purpose of star gazing. One other note, these trails are only opened from early June to late October really December but an early snowfall on some trails isn't good. You will encounter opposing vehicles so be cautious around blind corners. Also where you can see down the trail, watch for oncoming traffic and general trail etiquette is the rig going up has the right of way as you don't want to break their rhythm and they start slipping blocking both vehicles. The downhill rig has the advantage of gravity.

Maps and navigation. Delorme maps are great as they are actual topo maps but there electronic options. The Delorme In Reach is a satellite based mapping device that also allows texting in case of emergency. Many people spend the money and use the In Reach paired to their cellphone to drive Google maps. Magellan TRX 7 and the excellent Australian company HEMA offers a great map app for North American. The TRX7 and HEMA can both plot your course for new routes along with waypoints but each offers an open source cloud where everyone can upload and share. When you start getting into more extensive trail systems, these all but become a necessity.

2 pieces of advice. Get an ARB tire repair kit and learn how to use it. Not hard at all. Also spend the money and get a 12 volt portable air compressor. I would recommend the ARB 2 stage as you can air up a tire puncture but it also comes in handy when you air down for more trail grip and then need to air up when you hit hard road again. The ARB 2 stage can air up a 35 inch tire so it can handle most needs on the trail. And get a really good air gauge and not the $5 cheapies you see at the checkout line. Around town, these are OK but not so much on the trail, especially when airing down.

If you have room, a shovel and axe are handy. We carry chainsaws and have cleared downed trees many times. When you get into deeper back country, the amount of dead trees may surprise you. Also some manner of recovery tools and an 8k lb. come along, tree saver and 30 ft tow strap. You'll use it clearing a big tree too. And if you don't have a fire extinguisher, get one, at least a 5lb. ABC type. 2 are even better.

And a first aid kit. The wife and I were certified advance first aid but that was 3 decades ago so we are signed up this fall to take the wilderness and advanced first aid through the National Outdoor Leadership School since we are headed for the northern extremes of Canada but their 2 day wilderness first aid course is outstanding and worth the time and money. They have them quite often at the REI in both Roswell and John's Creek. I highly recommend it. It might not be you but you may come across somebody and it could make all the difference.

Otherwise, have fun going to see things and places most people never will.

The Milkman

Ive thought about starting to RV for several years now. My reservation is leaving the comforts of a home. How tough is it adjusting to having to deal with showering and dumping black water and limited electricity scenarios etc?

After a while you get a routine going with all the hookups and stuff. You learn by doing. You also get tips from other RVer's at campgrounds you stay at. Walmarts are ok for a night, some have garden centers so don't park near them as most mornings you will hear the fork trucks backup alarm while they unload trucks LOL. Been on 2 3 month trips up to Alaska, you see so much more than flying. Memories you take to your grave. just get going and do it while you are still somewhat healthy. My goal was to sleep at the Arctic circle, which we did.
DSC01145.JPG
DSC01356.JPG
DSC01503.JPG
DSC02204.JPG
DSC02209.JPG

tourists24

After a while you get a routine going with all the hookups and stuff. You learn by doing. You also get tips from other RVer's at campgrounds you stay at. Walmarts are ok for a night, some have garden centers so don't park near them as most mornings you will hear the fork trucks backup alarm while they unload trucks LOL. Been on 2 3 month trips up to Alaska, you see so much more than flying. Memories you take to your grave. just get going and do it while you are still somewhat healthy. My goal was to sleep at the Arctic circle, which we did.
Awesome post. It's stories like these that make me want to take that leap

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Retired in February after 40 years at BigBrown, hit the road in the RV. After spending a few months at the beach then traveling around the country we are headed home, enjoyed every minute of it. Question is, we are thinking of going full time RVing, starting this fall, maybe do some workkamping next year. Is there anybody here doing this or thinking about it?
What beach? we have done a little. Have about 10 books on the subject. RVers are like migrating birds, south in the winter and north in the summer.

We like having a home base so I don't think we'll ever go full time. After awhile we like going home . Then we get cabin fever we go again. Our next extended trip will be Alaska.

There are a lot of great websites for RVers.

The Milkman

This is another concern I have as I study more about RVing. I guess that's just part of RV life?

I have read over the years in Trailer Life Magazine stories about tires. many times things break or are not aligned properly from the factory, wrong tire pressure, bearings going bad,going over the max weight for the trailer etc. I did have an issue with one of the factory tires with a belt that would slip. I called the MFG and they recommended Michelin tires, I changed them, no problem since then. Like any motor vehicle you must maintain them, just picture your home going down the road hitting all the bumps and stuff. In due time things will rattle etc. I paid too much $$$ not to take care of my RV. Go and read some RV forums to get an idea what others go through and how they do things to learn more, You can always rent one for a few weeks and give it a try, The adventures you go on will always be remembered as the good times in life when looking back at your pictures and videos when you become too old to do them anymore. You meet and make friends as you travel around, and you hook up with them again at the campground or rv park that you first met. it all depends on you getting behind the wheel and stepping on the gas pedal

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Great advice---rent one for a week to try it before you buy it.

When my son was traveling for work I gave him the same advice when it came to selecting a rental car.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In the Smokies area, check out Parson Rd in Cades Cove and also some of the roads in Cataloochee. North Georgia, Coopers Creek and Blue Ridge WMA as very easy but enjoyable and beautiful rides. East side of Tray Mountain north of Helen off Georgia 356 becomes hard core near the top but the west approach off Georgia 75 in pretty mild. Some rocky spots of very small boulders near the top but put it in 4 low and let the truck pull itself. Don't get to aggressive (slow, steady and easy) or you risk snapping an axle. Do not go down the east side unless your rig is lifted and you either have a winch or someone with you does. Turn around at the top of Tray but make time to pull over, ample area to park, and enjoy the view. Great spot for lunch or even taking a portable grill. We like the Tembo Tusk Skottle if you want to look it up.

And if you do snap an axle, it just presents the opportunity to upgrade to something beefier. The Yota 4 Runner is a pretty good rig to start with. I was going to get a Tacoma TRD Pro built on same chassis as 4 Runner but I was too tall and big and I felt squeezed in but the Tundra, ah just right. I envy you in the choices of aftermarket options verses the Tundra.

In SW Colorado, Ophir Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Animas Fork and Alpine Loop. The abandoned silver mines are worth stopping and looking around. Animals Fork is an abandoned town with the old silver mine and you get the added scenery of the Animals river.

Some of these trails have some real exposure spots so if heights and a very narrow 1 lane trail bother you, you might rethink. Cinnamon is a cakewalk but beautiful. Several Youtubers have videos of the entire trails but sped up in film speed so you can see what you are getting into. They are great sources for trail recon.

And definitely make the trip from Silverton to Lake City and plan extra time because you will use the crap out of your camera. There is a side trail that leads to a beautiful alpine lake above the tree line but I've yet to recall the trail we took. This was 30 years ago oddly enough this week 30 years ago. Damn, time flies. It is one way in and out but well worth it as an grassy alpine meadow slopes down to the lake and makes a perfect spot for a picnic.

The area around Ouray , Silverton, Lake City & Telluride is an off road paradise and even in a month you can't see it all.

Also check out Black Canyon and the top of Grand Mesa. We are going to install light bars that really kick out nearly 300 yards as our intent is to do a night trip to the top of Imogene Pass, over 13k feet, for the purpose of star gazing. One other note, these trails are only opened from early June to late October really December but an early snowfall on some trails isn't good. You will encounter opposing vehicles so be cautious around blind corners. Also where you can see down the trail, watch for oncoming traffic and general trail etiquette is the rig going up has the right of way as you don't want to break their rhythm and they start slipping blocking both vehicles. The downhill rig has the advantage of gravity.

Maps and navigation. Delorme maps are great as they are actual topo maps but there electronic options. The Delorme In Reach is a satellite based mapping device that also allows texting in case of emergency. Many people spend the money and use the In Reach paired to their cellphone to drive Google maps. Magellan TRX 7 and the excellent Australian company HEMA offers a great map app for North American. The TRX7 and HEMA can both plot your course for new routes along with waypoints but each offers an open source cloud where everyone can upload and share. When you start getting into more extensive trail systems, these all but become a necessity.

2 pieces of advice. Get an ARB tire repair kit and learn how to use it. Not hard at all. Also spend the money and get a 12 volt portable air compressor. I would recommend the ARB 2 stage as you can air up a tire puncture but it also comes in handy when you air down for more trail grip and then need to air up when you hit hard road again. The ARB 2 stage can air up a 35 inch tire so it can handle most needs on the trail. And get a really good air gauge and not the $5 cheapies you see at the checkout line. Around town, these are OK but not so much on the trail, especially when airing down.

If you have room, a shovel and axe are handy. We carry chainsaws and have cleared downed trees many times. When you get into deeper back country, the amount of dead trees may surprise you. Also some manner of recovery tools and an 8k lb. come along, tree saver and 30 ft tow strap. You'll use it clearing a big tree too. And if you don't have a fire extinguisher, get one, at least a 5lb. ABC type. 2 are even better.

And a first aid kit. The wife and I were certified advance first aid but that was 3 decades ago so we are signed up this fall to take the wilderness and advanced first aid through the National Outdoor Leadership School since we are headed for the northern extremes of Canada but their 2 day wilderness first aid course is outstanding and worth the time and money. They have them quite often at the REI in both Roswell and John's Creek. I highly recommend it. It might not be you but you may come across somebody and it could make all the difference.

Otherwise, have fun going to see things and places most people never will.

After all this, send him over to tacomaworld.com .

Lots of knowledge once you sift through the fools.

wkmac

After all this, send him over to tacomaworld.com .

Lots of knowledge once you sift through the fools.

TTORA is another source for Yota owners and lots of good stuff at Overland Bound. TTORA has some fools here and there but OB the fools get run off pretty quick.

wkmac

After a while you get a routine going with all the hookups and stuff. You learn by doing. You also get tips from other RVer's at campgrounds you stay at. Walmarts are ok for a night, some have garden centers so don't park near them as most mornings you will hear the fork trucks backup alarm while they unload trucks LOL. Been on 2 3 month trips up to Alaska, you see so much more than flying. Memories you take to your grave. just get going and do it while you are still somewhat healthy. My goal was to sleep at the Arctic circle, which we did.View attachment 145143 View attachment 145143 View attachment 145144 View attachment 145145 View attachment 145146 View attachment 145147

Is that the Salmon Glacier outside of Hyder Alaska/Stewart BC? That glacier is on my bucket list as there is a "road"that goes along the glacier and over the mountain and I want to drive up it and camp overnight. I say road but told in anything but 4x not recommended.

How far up the Dalton Highway did you go? Go through the Brooks Range and Atigun Pass which is beautiful in a stark kind of way?

Nice pics.

The Milkman

Is that the Salmon Glacier outside of Hyder Alaska/Stewart BC? That glacier is on my bucket list as there is a "road"that goes along the glacier and over the mountain and I want to drive up it and camp overnight. I say road but told in anything but 4x not recommended.

How far up the Dalton Highway did you go? Go through the Brooks Range and Atigun Pass which is beautiful in a stark kind of way?

Nice pics.

You are soooo right, the Salmon Glacier outside of Hyder. On our first trip in 2010 we took the Cassier Hwy instead of the Alaska Hwy to go to Hyder. The road to the glacier is about 20 miles up a very very dusty road. we stayed at Camp Run a muck in town(small town lol) We took the Dalton Hwy to the Arctic Circle and spent the night there. I had a full tank of gas and I also took an extra 5 gallon can with me from a church I was staying at in Fairbanks and lucky I did, because the hwy is up and down , hilly etc, my gas mileage suffered. I usually get 13-14 mpg with my 34 gallon tank, on my way back my gas light came on, and I limped into Fox which is about 10 miles North of Fairbanks. There is a truck stop just over the Yukon River where truckers sleep and stuff, cant remember if they sold gas, but then again I thought I had plenty. needles to say my RV came back a mess. LOL I saw guys on m/c's on the way up. I would slow down and pull over when I saw a trucker coming at me and most slowed down as to not kick up rocks, I put some screen door screening in front of my radiator as a precaution, and rented a SAT phone for that trip, enjoy the pics below
DSC01115.JPG
DSC01135.JPG
DSC01151.JPG
DSC01152.JPG
DSC01153.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01141.JPG
    DSC01141.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01488.JPG
    DSC01488.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01489.JPG
    DSC01489.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 138

The Milkman

Nice pics.
DSC01488.JPG
DSC01489.JPG
DSC01492.JPG
DSC01497.JPG
DSC01498.JPG
DSC02181.JPG
DSC02183.JPG

The Milkman

Nice pics.

The Milkman

Nice pics.
Site wont let me post any more pics
DSC02185.JPG
DSC02188.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02185.JPG
    DSC02185.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02188.JPG
    DSC02188.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC02192.JPG