Safety Committee Elections

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I would also like to add for those in right to work states that any safety committee member has to be in good standing (dues paying) to be on the committee. Local 728 enforces this and gave them the option to join or be removed, they chose removal.

I like and would totally support this action. I thought though, that the only privilege that could legally be denied to the scabs was voting in elections for union officials.

10 point

The first line says it all to me. "may not perform"

Where are you pigs now?
That's my point as well. The second paragraph defines the situations at hand not the bold print. OROs are management's responsibility and hourly on hourly observations creates animosity. It's a proven fact.

YOU, Upstate, may not have a problem doing it. The hourly employee being observed may have a problem with YOU doing it and that's the problem. Its deemed a form of harassment to be scrutinized by someone equal to you and many times the co-chairs have a bad safety record themselves.
Hypocrisy and harassment. Great deal.
It also falsely gives another hourly employee a sense of control and often the result of that ends up being a problem between employees.

That's my point as well. The second paragraph defines the situations at hand not the bold print. OROs are management's responsibility and hourly on hourly observations creates animosity. It's a proven fact.

YOU, Upstate, may not have a problem doing it. The hourly employee being observed may have a problem with YOU doing it and that's the problem. Its deemed a form of harassment to be scrutinized by someone equal to you and many times the co-chairs have a bad safety record themselves.
Hypocrisy and harassment. Great deal.
It also falsely gives another hourly employee a sense of control and often the result of that ends up being a problem between employees.
There are no driver observations in my local. Ups tried this and the safety committee was going to be pulled. They wanted to have meetings and we did. It still didn't matter. Anyone that is on any safety committee should be appointed solely by the local. It is a union committee. If things aren't done like this in your local I'd demand my local take the action like we did. It's not a company committee.

10 point

There are no driver observations in my local. Ups tried this and the safety committee was going to be pulled. They wanted to have meetings and we did. It still didn't matter. Anyone that is on any safety committee should be appointed solely by the local. It is a union committee. If things aren't done like this in your local I'd demand my local take the action like we did. It's not a company committee.
Thank you.
The BA emailed the center manager three wks ago and shut down the observations at the members requests.
The whole program's going to be redone with union appointed members and the cochairs will be voted in.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Source, Jackburton? I've never heard or seen that. But I'd love to put it into practice.
I will ask Matt H. Next time I see him in how this is done. I'm assuming that it would be just like a union slate would need all members who are running for an office to be in the union and dues paying, RTW included. Safety commitee is just an extension of the union and would fall under those guidelines.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The safety committee is not an extension of the union.

Resident know-it-all.
Considering all members can be removed at the whim of the union for performing actions that would be construed as managements job, I'd say yes. I'd also like to mention the heads of these committees must be voted in and lower positions are appointed, much like a hall. Oh and BTW, the union at a whim can shut the whole thing down without question from management. So yes, it's a full extension of the union

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our safety committee consisted of an on-car, a PT sup and 4 hourlies. The hourlies were asked to join by our center manager, who also participates in our meetings. Our BA has never said a word about our safety committee.

All 4 hourlies have resigned and the committee is in limbo.

At no time did the union have any involvement with the safety committee.

Resident know-it-all.

10 point

Our safety committee consisted of an on-car, a PT sup and 4 hourlies. The hourlies were asked to join by our center manager, who also participates in our meetings. Our BA has never said a word about our safety committee.

Resident know-it-all.
If the committee is in limbo without hourlies I guess there's no real committee without union members.... aka "the union".

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Resident know-it-all.
That's because in the BOG hourlies are doing management's job and management's doing hourly jobs. This actually explains a lot when it comes to your posts.

MC4YOU2

Resident know-it-all.

ART 18 says that mgmt can have up to an equal number of mgmt members on the committee, but that the union has the final say. Where you are and where I am, I suspect, there has simply been little to no challenge by the membership with regard to those chosen. We did have an election by the drivers, several years ago, but I feel it's time to revisit this with more input from the local. I surely don't feel that mgmt should get to cherry pick both sides.

O

OLDMAN3

The two drivers on our safety committee:
1: -25 year driver who would not walk the picket line during the 1997 strike.
-When he and I were part time he would hide in the bldg between shifts to pick up double shifting opportunities that should have been offered to more senior employees.
-Did On Area Observations (along with a supervisor) and the supervisor later "talked to" the observed driver about his safety violations. When confronted by the observed driver, Mr Safety squealed to management, saying he felt threatened.
2: - 20+ year driver who turns in his application for management every year.
-Also did not walk the line.
-Sneaky guy who likes to hang out within earshot of other drivers' conversations.

When either of these clowns ask other drivers about their accidents, injuries, methods etc. most drivers will tell them it is none of their --- business.

All non-rat drivers who have been on the committee have resigned over the years. A few drivers will hand out water bottles etc. before the shift on the clock to get extra hours. The sad thing is, I don't think either of the 2 rats realize how they are viewed by other drivers. If the BA removed these guys, no one else take their positions, even the ones who love the easy OT.

MC4YOU2

-When he and I were part time he would hide in the bldg between shifts to pick up double shifting opportunities that should have been offered to more senior employees.
-Did On Area Observations (along with a supervisor) and the supervisor later "talked to" the observed driver about his safety violations. When confronted by the observed driver, Mr Safety squealed to management, saying he felt threatened.
-Sneaky guy who likes to hang out within earshot of other drivers' conversations.

When either of these clowns ask other drivers about their accidents, injuries, methods etc. most drivers will tell them it is none of their --- business.

All non-rat drivers who have been on the committee have resigned over the years. A few drivers will hand out water bottles etc. before the shift on the clock to get extra hours. The sad thing is, I don't think either of the 2 rats realize how they are viewed by other drivers. If the BA removed these guys, no one else take their positions, even the ones who love the easy OT.

Good insight into your situation. I do also question who would replace the loser we have, should he fall from grace. In retrospect I seem to remember years ago, them asking for volunteers, and when no one did they opted for nomination and election. It's kinda funny that really this driver may be the only one who even wants the spot. There is no respect for this driver from other drivers, only atta boys from mgmt.

By The Book

Sounds like you could step up! You seem to know a line that shouldn't be crossed between members and safety members. You could ask management to put you on the committee. One piece of advice though, you better be able to set the example of safety yourself. If you run routes into the ground you won't get much respect.

O

OLDMAN3

Ha Ha
Nope,
Sounds like you could step up! You seem to know a line that shouldn't be crossed between members and safety members. You could ask management to put you on the committee. One piece of advice though, you better be able to set the example of safety yourself. If you run routes into the ground you won't get much respect.
So funny,
I don't think they would like paying my 9.5 grievances if they included safety hours.

By The Book

Ha Ha
Nope,

So funny,
I don't think they would like paying my 9.5 grievances if they included safety hours.
Probably right. If they are paying your 9.5 grievances now, being on the safety committee would take money out of your pocket. Ever been to one of those meetings? It's worth it to find out the current agenda.

10 point

Probably right. If they are paying your 9.5 grievances now, being on the safety committee would take money out of your pocket. Ever been to one of those meetings? It's worth it to find out the current agenda.
The meetings are run by management and there's more excuses why things can't be changed to enhance safety than important issues being resolved.

We can pass out fruit and peanuts on wellness Wednesday but we can't get the pot holes fixed in the air recovery dock.

It makes you want to shut the whole thing down for a year to help them "get their minds right" if that's even possible.