Safety Committees

Kidlogic

Right now in my state safety committees have been shutdown. The reason is that the union considers mentoring and demos training. The contract says that you get paid more as a trainer. UPS refuses to pay the difference. I was wondering if anyone was getting paid the higher rate for safety training??

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So let me get this straight, your Safety Committe was shut down (I love it, no matter what the reason) because of the lack of "training pay"???

Why not file Article 17 grievances for the shortages, plus penalty pay when the amount reaches the threshold, if it's only about the pay???

For me, I think all Safety Committees nationwide should be disbanded until the Company truly gets serious about safety.

F

Frankie's Friend

So let me get this straight, your Safety Committe was shut down (I love it, no matter what the reason) because of the lack of "training pay"???

Why not file Article 17 grievances for the shortages, plus penalty pay when the amount reaches the threshold, if it's only about the pay???

For me, I think all Safety Committees nationwide should be disbanded until the Company truly gets serious about safety.
Or rename them the Liability Committee.

JustDeliverIt

We get ours shut down from Thanksgiving on. Can't waste those DOT hours on helping and talking with newer drivers when the company needs those hours for package delivery.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Jesus Christ. How many locals have their committees run by UPS? We’ve only shut ours down when UPS wasn’t making safety a priority. It’s the unions committee. There is an allotment of hours that should be given on a monthly basis. All I can say is, there are a lot puppy dog committees all over the country. That’s not why the safety committees were created.

babboo25

Banned
Jesus Christ. How many locals have their committees run by UPS? We’ve only shut ours down when UPS wasn’t making safety a priority. It’s the unions committee. There is an allotment of hours that should be given on a monthly basis. All I can say is, there are a lot puppy dog committees all over the country. That’s not why the safety committees were created.
Ours run misloads all day 3 or 4 days a month.

wide load

Ours run misloads all day 3 or 4 days a month.
Yeah no. That’s not safety. All actual safety hours should be sent to the district safety manager. I’m sure the center managers were coding off those days of misloads to safety to justify they are pretending to be safe. I was a co chair for years. My rule was, if I’m in for safety, I’m doing safety stuff. As soon as you want me to move packages, I take over my own bid route. I never allowed them to use safety hours for anything but safety. I’ve submitted many time sheets to district safety people with managers cheating the system.

wide load

Add to that, I think it's a crock and anyone who participates is a fool.
MHO
The only fools are the followers. A safety committee is designed to protect the employee and to hold management accountable. If it’s not being utilized as such then you’re right.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
We never know when we have one and when we don't!
"Do we have a safety committee this week?"
Every week. It's like dude, just show up 15 minutes early the one day of the week they're held and figure it out for yourself.
If there's nothing posted about it and no verbal order for you to be at the meeting, you can't get in trouble for missing it anyways....per my steward. I'd say about 75% of Fridays since I've started we've had our safety meeting. Of course they just tell you the same things over and over but I like the part when we go around and talk about each other's close calls or dumb decisions. Definetely makes you feel more like you are a part of a team and not out there with the whole company on your back...

542thruNthru

sorry but none of this washes clean, saftey commitee is a pact betweenUPS, the Teamsters and the DOT. cant be shutdown

You're mistaken. You're thinking of the national safety committee.

Local Saftey committees can be shut down easily.
Screenshot_20181116-104609.png