Safety Compliance.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I'm sorry that you are getting harassed for making safety number one. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. You are setting a good example for other drivers, but remember that mangers view you as a threat to there production and they don't want it to spread to others. Watch your steps and always look over your shoulders, because they will be.

least best....least best??? that does have a familiar ring to it, but I can't quite place where I heard the term. Selective Sometimer's disease can be your friend.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I had the pleasure of going through the same thing about 6 years ago. I learned a lot about UPS management and the teamster. Most days my car is almost always too full to shut the doors, but it was empty on those three days. Every thing fit on the shelves, but the rear door stops. The air that I would have to break trace was cut off me to and given to an air driver and the load was perfectly loaded stop for stop. The on car said that he should not be able to keep up with me walking because I'm so much taller than him. I told him maybe UPS pay rate should be base on the person's height then. He wanted me the use the two wheel cart less and said that a person of my size and physical condition could carry more weight. I told him I don't want too injure my back like so many other drivers that cant work any more. He had me do illegal DR's and will call construction sites without attempting a delivery, so we could save time. The production numbers improved and I was told that there were going to hold me accountable if they go back the way they were. Well, my route went back to the way it was before and unfortunately, so did the production numbers. After a year or so of numerous wright ups, warring letters and grievance hearings over "not following proper working methods" and "not working the same supervised as not supervised", the harassment eventually stopped and when to the next driver that need little extra encouragement. CYA do every and all safety and work method, if you can follow them to the T you will run so far over allowed that they wont want to ride with you ever again. If the harassment makes you work faster than you will get more harassment. Review the 340 work methods and do them just as it says. Make sure you check all six sides of every package, don't load your cart inside of the package car, and get the signature first and then scan all the packages. Document everything that they did to change your route or dispatch and take pictures of your load. Ask your preloader if they were going through your truck before start time to set it up or gave the preloader extra time to load your car better. Be prepared to answer why the production numbers where better when you were supervise than when you were not. Saying that they set you up or they just don't like you because you made them mad, isn't the best defense to use at a grievance hearing. Good luck and do every thing by the book, because they fire most drivers for dishonesty than for production.
Great advice! I for one will take this

local804

pretty scary
Oooops 2.jpg

Working4TheBene's

I think all to quick, we all try and point the finger at something/someone to blame for us not doing something, somewhere at some time....

But what it comes down to is, safety is everyone's responsibility. What mgmt. really needs to do is to step up the game and encourage safety and realize (and recognize) personal limitations.....

Everyday, unsafe behaviors are are going "un-noticed" until the day of an audit... that is not what working safely is all about. We go to work everyday and try our best, and somedays we can give more and somedays not so much, but in the end, we are all striving to accomplish one thing..... get our jobs done to the best of our ability and go home the same way we came to work... (all in one piece and uninjured).

So in the end, we should be able to immediately correct our own unsafe behaviors for our own benefit. Any day that we do unsafe things and put ourselves at risk/harms way, we are on borrowed time till we really get hurt... it's usually not just that one single unsafe act that gets us injured... it's those unsafe acts over a duration of time that forms bad habits, that all adds up to us being injured.

Is management necessarily doing everything they can... probably not. I think they need to do more to encourage and recognize all the safe things we do each and everyday instead of constantly harboring on the negatives. Maybe they should "invest" more time in training, coaching, aiding, etc. instead of focusing on what cuts need to be made this week to make some number....

When the chips are down, and we are all tired after the days done, the last thing we need to here is more negative talk..... We all need to focus on working safely and retain our current customers....instead of constantly trying to "steal" customers from the other carriers....(but that's another topic...)

Just my opinion....

Working4TheBene's

Why do we keep just doing it to ourselves... This is what makes our jobs more difficult everyday....(not to mention our reputation).

When someone brings up a concern, we all need to listen, no matter how big or small.... and again, shows where sometimes mgmt just doesn't want to see or acknowledge what is wrong, but rather "retaliate" when someone "whistleblows" and then rather than fix/address the issue, they try and save a few bucks and payout the $$ to settle a claim for what they probably should've done before it got to court...

Of course I'm not saying that all mgmt is like that, but unfortuantely, there are enough....

"Man Awarded $1M in UPS Whistleblower Lawsuit"

Link to article....
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...r-Lawsuit.html

Catatonic

Nine Lives
attachment.php

I told them that I wasn't sittin' on my butt in the back of the trailer for no reason. But do they ever listen to me? Noooo!

I guess a new rule will be coming out that heavy packages should be loaded in the middle or rear of a trailer. Those stands seem to be unusually far back in the trailer or is that my imagination?
Is this a 24" or a 26" flatbed?

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Now that you mention it Hoax, the landing gear does seem to be set back. I'm surprised that UPS doesn't use 5th wheel stands as a safety precaution. Maybe they will now.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's been almost 3 months since I joined the safety committee, and I have yet to accomplish anything. I've drilled drivers on safe methods and DOK (Depth Of Knowledge), listened in on conference calls, but that's pretty much all I've done.

I recently reported that my pkg car had been damaged, while being used by a cover driver. This "accident" was conveniently covered up, so that it wouldn't go on the accident frequency report. Our mechanic told me that he would have to write up the replacement of my pkg car mirror arm and part of my TP60, as accidents. I told him to go ahead, and reported this to my On-Road, who was seated in the "safety zone" having a conversation with the Division safety manager DSM. The on-road got all red in the face and blasted off to go speak with the mechanic.

After punching out, I went upstairs to speak with the DSM. I told her that I was contemplating quitting as safety co-chair, due to the fact that I was never trained and didn't really do anything, besides what I listed above. She blah blah blah-ed me, for like 25 minutes. She ended by saying, basically, that mgmt is in charge of safety. So as I understood it, mgmt has control over what slips out and gets reported, and what doesn't. During this conversation, my on-road, got red faced again, and started telling me, "Haven't you punched, don't you need to leave".

That is the last straw for me. I am hereby resigning from the safety committee for the following reasons.

1: After having realized that I was speaking out of my butt, when telling people to be safe and do the methods, I was not doing, I turned around and did all of the methods, as required, which made me go significantly slower on my route than I had previously gone. My supervisor and manager were all over me about going over 9/5. I told them that I had too much work and had I done the route as it was supposed to be done, in the first place, the stops would be lower than what they assumed I was "capable" of. I received a warning letter for a ONE DAY OJS ride. How can this happen, when they have no comparative data?

2: The person that delivers the mall has 2 handcarts, and is expected to push/pull both of them, simultaneously. How is this "safe"?

3: Drivers are working, even though they are injured.

4: Drivers still talk on handheld cell phones while driving.

5: The myriad of other unsafe behavior that mgmt puts blinders to.

MGMT wants to nit pick the things you do when you run "overallowed", but when you are pleasing to the numbers, everything is okay. That being said, I believe that UPS touting safety is a farce. The safety committee is full of politics that I refuse to be a party to. If UPS wanted a real safety committee, they'd make it unattached to corporate mgmt/UPS. As with all of my posts, this has been my opinion.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Steve, sorry to hear that you found out the hard way.
The hypocrisy has always been evident to me.
The bonus system is the most obvious example to me.
How can a driver beat the time study without shortchanging the methods?
Without skipping lunch and breaks?
Instead who do they observe?
The overallowed.

Also thought you might find this contractual language interesting:

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees​
There shall be Safety and Health Committees to cover all full-time
and part-time employees. There shall be one (1) committee per
Center unless the number of employees and/or job classifications
within a center dictate the establishment of more than one (1) committee.​
The respective committees will be comprised of a mutually
agreed to number of bargaining unit representatives and up to an
equal number of management representatives.
Bargaining unit members who seek to serve on the Safety and
Health Committee may volunteer to do so, with approval of the
Local Union. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be
selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee.
Each committee shall meet at least once each month at a mutually
agreeable time and place. The Employer shall provide committee
members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as
described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below.
Each committee shall perform functions including, but not limited
to:
1. Creating sub-committees, on an as needed basis, to investigate
specific issues of safety and health concern. These committees shall
report to the full committee.
2. Developing and maintaining minutes for all meetings, with
copies to all committee members and posted on designated safety
bulletin boards.
3. Conducting periodic inspections of the facility to ensure that
there is a safe, healthful and sanitary working environment in each
center.
4. Accompanying governmental, union, and/or Company health
and safety professionals on facility inspection tours. The Employer
may limit the number of bargaining unit members of the committee
accompanying such an inspection tour.
5. Receiving information pertaining to lost workday injury/accident
causes and review results of the investigation of such
injuries/accidents.
6. Receiving copies of the center’s OSHA Illness and Injury logs
and the facility’s man-hours.
7. Receiving the Company sponsored training to enable committee
members to effectively perform their respective functions as safety
and health committee members.
Any information provided to a CHSP committee will not be shared
outside the committee without the Employer’s consent.
If the committee is unable to resolve a safety and health concern and
all steps of the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHSP)
have been exhausted, the issue will be subject to the grievance procedure.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...That is the last straw for me. I am hereby resigning from the safety committee for the following reasons....

At least you tried. Your intentions were honorable.

You arent the first, and you wont be the last to go into the Safety Commitee hoping to make a difference...only to discover that the whole thing is a scam.

At least you tried. Your intentions were honorable.

You arent the first, and you wont be the last to go into the Safety Commitee hoping to make a difference...only to discover that the whole thing is a scam.
You could substitute the word management for Safety Committee and have another true statement.