Safety first in snow storm

W

westsideworma

Big storm hitting Monday. Since we have a management team committed to safety, I am sure they will add routes and keep drivers at minimum to get us home safely and make service to our customers.

wow I want to work at this center, it sure sounds nice :wink2:

I've always wondered why they cut routes and overload drivers during snowstorms.

not to derail the thread but if they declare state of emergency are we supposed to pull our people off the road? I've heard something of that in the past and was just wondering one way or the other how that works.

over9five

Staff member
UPS is not controlled by some State of Emergency.

WE ARE UPS!!! WE'LL do whatever we want! Who do they think they're dealing with???

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The height of the storm will be during the AM rush. Considering everything is basically at the center for preload, we should be loaded ready to go at start. The problem is the storm is going to end in the afternoon so conditions will get better as the day goes on.

They will still make sure no one is over 10 so the hub can run normally.

wornoutupser

UPS is not controlled by some State of Emergency.

WE ARE UPS!!! WE'LL do whatever we want! Who do they think they're dealing with???

It was that way during Hurricane Charlie here. We knew the storm was coming in, yet we were told not to come back until we were told that we could.
When we WERE allowed, rain was going straight through the building- and we still had other drivers more than an hour CLOSER to the storm than the building was.

Just remember SAFETY FIRSTat UPS cough cough

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Have you ever checked what your rafters are rated at? It might not be necessary to be doing all that shoveling. Unless you have ice dam issues. Shoveling and walking on your roof is really hard on shingles so I wouldn't do it anymore than you absolutely have to. :peaceful:
It's the damn ice dam that keeps forming. I've wondered about the heat tape but I've seen houses with ice dams just as big with the heat tape. I don't want to waste money putting it up there if it is not going to work. I actually use a roof rakeso I limit my time up there.

DS

Fenderbender
Only twice in my 19 yrs driving have they ever told us to call it a day,and that was about 15:30 when all businesses closed early.I've had more than my share of white knuckle days.
When the authorities tell everyone not to drive unless its an emergency,we get a message on our diads to take the weather into account and make sure were not late tomorrow.Indeed over9,
Who do they think they're dealing with.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Pretty sad when we all saw this post and choked.
Not a real big point gain for safety, when we all know 14 inches of snow=business as usual, no matter the cost.

abc123

I'm not a driver, I've been a pt package handler for about a month now. (BTW, i love it) Anyways, what if it snows so bad that you physically cant drive to work. Like, either the car is snowed in really bad or the roads are just so bad, you would probably crash. My shift tomorrow is 6pm-10pm, so the roads will probably/hopefully be plowed enough by then. Anyways, my question is that basically if I call and say 'look, my area's not plowed at all, i cant safely drive in to work", will they be mad? understanding? any chance they will just call everyone and say not to come in? My shift only has about 40 people working on it. Also, my supervisors are pretty cool and laid back. (contrary to what everyone else says on here, haha. i guess i just got lucky)

Last edited:

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
I'm not a driver, I've been a pt package handler for about a month now. (BTW, i love it) Anyways, what if it snows so bad that you physically cant drive to work. Like, either the car is snowed in really bad or the roads are just so bad, you would probably crash. My shift tomorrow is 6pm-10pm, so the roads will probably/hopefully be plowed enough by then. Anyways, my question is that basically if I call and say 'look, my area's not plowed at all, i cant safely drive in to work", will they be mad? understanding? any chance they will just call everyone and say not to come in? My shift only has about 40 people working on it. Also, my supervisors are pretty cool and laid back. (contrary to what everyone else says on here, haha. i guess i just got lucky)

Hate to say it but you will be working. Plus if your shift begins at 1800hrs you will have enough time to find a way in to work. Well thats prob what the mgmt would say. I heard sometimes they will come to your house and pick you up.

abc123

I don't mind working, I would actually be pissed to lose the hours/money, but I'm not going to crash my car and risk my life for 4 hours of work or whatever. bryishre, where in va are you from? PM, if you dont want to say it in the thread. I'm sure I'll be able to drive to work tomorrow, especially by then when the plows have had time to go around. I'm just glad I'm not preload. This is kind of just a hypothetical. I used to live in PA and a couple of years ago we had like 3-4 feet of snow and we got out of school for like a week. In that kind of situation, would UPS cancel work?

abc123

they're saying 4-6 inches here in VA. However, they aren't as good about snow removal here as they were in PA. they dont even use salt here?! just nasty sand or whatever.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Bad weather in Ohio, your thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonertoo
Maybe someone in corporate will read this I hope.
That's assuming anyone in corporate cares about how or why we get the numbers as long as we get them.
What a way to run a railroad.

This reminds me of an old poem that I heard alot when I was kid, but it says alot about our situations with UPS.
It's not my job to drive this train
or say how fast it goes
It's not my job to drive this train
or make the whistle blow.

It's not my job to be in charge,
while hurtling down the line.
If anyone asks how things are,
My answer is "Just fine!"

I'm not allowed to say how fast
This railroad train can go
I don't know where we're going,
and I'm not supposed to know.

I'm not allowed to shoot off steam
Nor can I clang the bell
But let this old train jump the track
And see who catches hell.

Author unknown

I got them bad weather blues

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This was in Macon, Ga. this morning. Rare sight this time of year:
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
It's the damn ice dam that keeps forming. I've wondered about the heat tape but I've seen houses with ice dams just as big with the heat tape. I don't want to waste money putting it up there if it is not going to work. I actually use a roof rakeso I limit my time up there.

Ice dams suck. I fought them at my old house. I used the heat cords but they only seem to work if the temp is above 15 or 20 and they do use a crap load of electricity. I would also pour rows of rock salt about every 2 feet apart. That would melt a valley for the melting snow to run off. Don't do that if you have shrubs you value. Also don't do like I did when I first bought that house and stand on a ladder and chop the ice dam with an ax. (It raises hell with the shingles):wink2: