Safety??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who was legally parked in a loading zone on a busy commercial street have his driver's side mirror assembly torn off by an RV that had drifted a bit too far to the right. Folding the mirror in would have kept the mirror intact.

That being said, the only time that I fold either of my mirrors in is when I park in a cul de sac type parking lot at our local medical center.

upschuck

We had a driver who was legally parked in a loading zone on a busy commercial street have his driver's side mirror assembly torn off by an RV that had drifted a bit too far to the right. Folding the mirror in would have kept the mirror intact.

That being said, the only time that I fold either of my mirrors in is when I park in a cul de sac type parking lot at our local medical center.
And what would have happened when that RV came along when he was folding that mirror in or out.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
The only time my mirrors ever fold in is when the wind blows them....I also dont use my flashers as much as I should...ya know I just can't imagine dull red lights saving some jerk off from rear ending me...he's gonna see a big brown truck or he's not gonna see a big brown truck

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My guess is you've got a rogue supe just trying to see how far he can go.

Tucking your mirror at every stop ranks right up there with:

-stealing electricity from a pkg car charging system by using an AM radio and;
-"it's more important for the customer to know where the package is (by tracking it) than to actually have the package",

as the dumbest things I've heard. ::lol: :lol:

.....of course, one of our prominent management posters will have 3 good reasons why tucking the mirror is a good idea.

......so let's hear it :lol: :lol:
Only at ups....

formymax

Tell your supervisor to relax. My management team found a full proof way to drastically reduce accident frequencies - they just stop reporting them. Of course, if you are not on the safety committee, or you are not a butt kisser or you file grievances - then it IS an accident.

It's good management shows leniency for minor accidents but the accident forgiveness is applied in a completely arbitrary and subjective manner. In most cases, drivers will have near identical incidents and one driver will be charged and the other will not. The number of managements' accident cover-ups is in the double digits.

I know, shocking - "dishonesty, lack of integrity, discriminatory, retaliatory, blah blah blah". The "powers that be" have been enlightened but we don't expect much change. After all, accident reduction is a hot button issue. I see a promotion in the near future.

We have been told that we must tuck in our mirror at every stop throughout the day. Could someone explain how this is considered safety? My opinion is that putting my hand and arm out the door 140 times a day is more dangerous than the possibility of my mirror getting taken off. I questioned my sup. and he had no response. Is a mirror more important than an arm??
Yes it is.

I'll be blunt. When non seasonal guys are reaching the end of their 30 days, are definitely going to make book and land a ft job, and are generally decent dudes with a good head on their shoulders, I give them the reality of what my center expects when it comes to tucking in the mirrors. If you have one of the stupid old trucks with the mirrors mounted on the hood (when adequately tucking in the driver side mirror means pushing them to the right against the windshield), I only expect you to tuck them when parked on the side of a busy highway or any area where you get lots of traffic or primarily larger vehicles. They are absolutely a hindrance and we have had a driver throw his shoulder out adjusting one.

In the real world, in residential areas it's highly unlikely youre going to get an 18 wheeler barreling down the road inches from your package car, let alone vehicles who are actually tall enough to physically hit your mirrors. You can easily get away with not tucking mirrors at these types of stops as long as youre cool with running the risk of a 'by the book' sup seeing you do so and reprimanding you for it.

Just use common sense when it comes to tucking the mirror. And if sticking your arm out is a concern (which I do believe is a legitimate concern), either tuck it just enough where you can lean over your steering wheel and see traffic in the bottom mirror, or fully tuck it, wait outside your car until theres a break in traffic, and then quickly/safely get in and unfold your mirror first thing.

All that said, every sup has a different standard when it comes to this stuff.

"You don't have to follow any order that could get you injured. (I think.....). I wouldn't do it either.

Bring it up to your safety person. Go on record.

I asked my steward this last week. I was directed to work in an unsafe manner in unsafe conditions. Steward said flat out don't do it. Write down the incident in a black book or journal and that you spoke with the steward and how you were ordered to work unsafe in unsafe conditions. :censored2:em.