Salary Compare Contrast

falcon back

I was given $73,404.00 last year at home. Average day was when I got up and when I went to bed.
I have no mortgage.
No car payments.
My wife and I stay wherever we want whenever we want and leave when we want.
I never had a 401K.
I have to try, but I am very successful at spending every nickel they give me.
$96,600 last year. Once I start drawing a pension in a few years, that will increase. Everyday was Saturday for me. No mortgage, never had a car note. Spend about $200 a month on weed, hate to think how much I spend on golf and replacement clubs. My biggest monthly expense is $350 for cells, internet and Directv. Travel constantly and play with classic cars, but the cars have a positive return at times. Still was able to save a few $ even though that wasn't my plan. Life is good.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Think about that, back then it was legit. I did see not that long ago handlers at UPS were offered 9-9.50.
Keep in mind also, living reasonably and simply. I would argue ( especially now with inflation) minimum wage at 40 hrs is somewhere between 23-25$ an hr. So if you have a job that pays 30-45$ you’re very well off.
I started as a package handler at 8.50 and after 90 days we went to 9.50.

FedEx was paying their part timers more and still are here. If you're not in it for the benefits or advancement, you usually jump ship when you get the chance.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
$96,600 last year. Once I start drawing a pension in a few years, that will increase. Everyday was Saturday for me. No mortgage, never had a car note. Spend about $200 a month on weed, hate to think how much I spend on golf and replacement clubs. My biggest monthly expense is $350 for cells, internet and Directv. Travel constantly and play with classic cars, but the cars have a positive return at times. Still was able to save a few $ even though that wasn't my plan. Life is good.
That's good money.
Good for you, brother.

btrlov

ur being ripped off. idk if you are hudson or tristate/big apple district but i was making that with only 5 years.

To put things into prosective:

I would go to the MTA, Amtrak or NJT or Path-65-80k base . Hell Conrail or NS is hiring as well. PSEG, Local 1, LIPA are hiring too.

iF staying at fedex dispatch or LTD is the place to go, I dont think swing is worth it. U might as well go express management.

UPS drivers are at 39 going to 40/hr after 4yrs. Feeders(psedo LTD equivalent) is already at 40. UPS Part time Supervisors(psedu fedex Lead equivalent w/o the driving) are at 21-22/hr starting in the tristate REGION.

Post Office is harsh but have a better retirement vs the fedex portable plan. A 204b(temp supervisor) at a usps station makes 59k which is easy to get because regulars dont want the stress

At least with a Amazon DSP u can complete a run and still get paid for an entire days work. Direct(non contract) amazon employees are issued stock the higher they are in the company.
thats *RTD

Fedex is superior in several small aspects or more like trade offs for hourly employees

*Part time flexibility with higher pay. A fedex Part time driver can make more than a ups part timer(part time driving is historically rare in UPS). Fedex part timers also have more range of hours it can gain vs ups part timers. Fedex handlers generally start at higher rate than UPS although this is changing. UPS doesnt have that more or less hrs flexibilty for drivers . UPS Hub employees are frequently ask to go home early but there is generally no significant extra hrs outside peak.

*No Combos, in fedex u dont have do a shift of package handling to be considered Fulltime. UPS still has some of these hybrid shifts although rare.

PT to FT conversion in fedex takes less time. UPS requires seniority especially for inside employees. Many UPS managers will do many sneaky things to keep an employee from quickly gaining full-time status

*No two tiered pay scales- UPS has has had a history of paying its part time employees at a different scale than its fulltime employees contributes to the high compensation of Drivers and FT employees. “part-time poverty”

Fedex has 401k match at the lowest hourly level. Teamsters has 401k but no match, only management and other employees get that match

Fedex Express Tuition Reimbursement doesn't have a lifetime cap and applies to all part time employees. UPS has a 25k lifetime cap and is limited to certain titles and locations

Fedex has better relocation flexibility for is drivers and managers. UPS is far more difficult although the pay stays the same.

Fedex Managers are less intense and more amicable the UPS managers. UPS FT sups and Managers are more intense(sense of urgency) cutthroat and dishonest than fedex managers although they are compensated more.

Fedex peak hires will generally stayed employed. UPS will fire”lay-off” its peak employees without mercy as soon as volume drops

Fedex has more relaxed uniform and grooming standards than UPS. IN UPS , even part time supervisors on the inside have to be clean shaven

*generally speaking

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’m in a different situation than many in my station as I’m older and was able to buy my house before the housing market went crazy. Bought my house for $250k and now it’s worth $550k.
Lots of people in the Nashville area who are complaining about home prices forget to disclose that they're in the same boat as you. You'll hear about how are you supposed to afford a payment on a $500k house on courier pay from a guy who bought at $250k twelve years ago.

MAKAVELI

thats *RTD

Fedex is superior in several small aspects or more like trade offs for hourly employees

*Part time flexibility with higher pay. A fedex Part time driver can make more than a ups part timer(part time driving is historically rare in UPS). Fedex part timers also have more range of hours it can gain vs ups part timers. Fedex handlers generally start at higher rate than UPS although this is changing. UPS doesnt have that more or less hrs flexibilty for drivers . UPS Hub employees are frequently ask to go home early but there is generally no significant extra hrs outside peak.

*No Combos, in fedex u dont have do a shift of package handling to be considered Fulltime. UPS still has some of these hybrid shifts although rare.

PT to FT conversion in fedex takes less time. UPS requires seniority especially for inside employees. Many UPS managers will do many sneaky things to keep an employee from quickly gaining full-time status

*No two tiered pay scales- UPS has has had a history of paying its part time employees at a different scale than its fulltime employees contributes to the high compensation of Drivers and FT employees. “part-time poverty”

Fedex has 401k match at the lowest hourly level. Teamsters has 401k but no match, only management and other employees get that match

Fedex Express Tuition Reimbursement doesn't have a lifetime cap and applies to all part time employees. UPS has a 25k lifetime cap and is limited to certain titles and locations

Fedex has better relocation flexibility for is drivers and managers. UPS is far more difficult although the pay stays the same.

Fedex Managers are less intense and more amicable the UPS managers. UPS FT sups and Managers are more intense(sense of urgency) cutthroat and dishonest than fedex managers although they are compensated more.

Fedex peak hires will generally stayed employed. UPS will fire”lay-off” its peak employees without mercy as soon as volume drops

*generally speaking
FedEx maybe better as a part-timer that wants full-time hours, but that's about it. UPS has free health insurance and pensions for part-timers and pay has come up considerably and inline with what FedEx pays it's handlers.

btrlov

FedEx maybe better as a part-timer that wants full-time hours, but that's about it. UPS has free health insurance and pensions for part-timers and pay has come up considerably and inline with what FedEx pays it's handlers.
well sort of, ups health insurance is better but it takes longer to aquire as a part-timer. Its use to be on day one but that got stretched out with the newer contracts. The pay has come up but the progression is not there. Whereas frdex handler may go up a pay band which equates to $1 plus an hr. Its not unheard of that UPS contracts would only go up 0.50-0.75/hr, Also UPS handlers are more physically intensive and Supervisors are always pressuring them to work hard then go home early before their guarantee -to make their production numbers look good.

MAKAVELI

well sort of, ups health insurance is better but it takes longer to aquire as a part-timer. Its use to be on day one but that got stretched out with the newer contracts. The pay has come up but the progression is not there. Whereas frdex handler may go up a pay band which equates to $1 plus an hr. Its not unheard of that UPS contracts would only go up 0.50-0.75/hr, Also UPS handlers are more physically intensive and Supervisors are always pressuring them to work hard then go home early before their guarantee -to make their production numbers look good.
There have been many years where FedEx handlers didn't get a raise while drivers did. Both companies treat their handlers like :censored2:. UPS just offers better long term prospects and benefits than FedEx. Even if their medical kicks in later.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
thats *RTD

Fedex has more relaxed uniform and grooming standards than UPS. IN UPS , even part time supervisors on the inside have to be clean shaven

*generally speaking
UPS doesn't give that kind of money away and never have. Management or hourly, the pressure is on.
I don't know much about FedX, but many times during my 30 year adventure, I would have taken a $10- $15 an hour pay cut just to be left alone and drive a van with some of those heavy letters.

Working4the1%

thats *RTD

*generally speaking
FedEx tuition reimbursement is $5250 a year in any degree of your choosing. Nursing/Teaching etc. also discount airfare/Cruise deals as airline employees

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Have had enough of Fedex. Have another opportunity to change careers and make very good money without all the headaches and the hours. I am over 60 and have absolutely no debt so money is not the main motivator, its quality of life that matters the most.
Spill the beans what is it Amway ,Herbalife
Some sort of magical oil