Saturday Layoffs

Over disciplined0123

Had two full timers get told they were being laid off their Saturday routes for lack of work. Only three months on with Saturday ground and we're already hemorrhaging money. Our center lost Amazon, why are we even bothering with Saturday ground now? We only did it for them.
Well don’t they cut half the routes on Monday in your Center because they use mondays work to fill the void on saturdays.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
No actually they did it for Macy's, L.L Bean, Walmart, Target, QVC, Home Shopping Network and every other shipper that wants their packages to their customers quicker.

It sucks to be at the bottom. I know that's not what you want to hear, but the market wants delivery 6 days a week. And we have to provide it to remain competitive.

Fake news. We've had Saturday ground here for a year. Was supposed to add jobs, only seems to have overworked everyone. Just an excuse to run half a preload on Mondays. And Saturday is laughable. 200 plus stops for 10 guys covering 52 routes worth of area. Can't get it all done, bring stops back at nine o'clock at night. Preloaders loading six package cars. All lies. In my opinion, we just sank to the level of competition that we blew away for 100 years plus. Joke.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Fake news. We've had Saturday ground here for a year. Was supposed to add jobs, only seems to have overworked everyone. Just an excuse to run half a preload on Mondays. And Saturday is laughable. 200 plus stops for 10 guys covering 52 routes worth of area. Can't get it all done, bring stops back at nine o'clock at night. Preloaders loading six package cars. All lies. In my opinion, we just sank to the level of competition that we blew away for 100 years plus. Joke.
Your center just sucks

I believe it is 13% system wide
I just don't understand why UPS doesn't make some deals with some other shippers. Get some low profit, not time sensitive delivered and have them delivered on Mondays ad Fridays.
You got the equipment and workforce and you ate already paying the benefits , even if I'm working 5 ot five days.

Keep a balanced workforce and we could probably handle peak a little better

JL 0513

Had two full timers get told they were being laid off their Saturday routes for lack of work. Only three months on with Saturday ground and we're already hemorrhaging money. Our center lost Amazon, why are we even bothering with Saturday ground now? We only did it for them.

This whole 6th day thing is going to lower UPS's profits. They've enjoyed by far the biggest profits in the industry now it will bring us down closer to FedEx. That's why while losing billions a year, the Post Master General proposed dropping Saturday delivery as that is where a lot of the losses come from. The business was built for Monday through Friday and adding Saturday is just throwing a huge wrench into the system.

Staydryitsraining

I think I was motley fool said Amazon is less that 4% of our total volume. Not sure how accurate that is.
Out of high 50 billion a year, they only attribute 1 billion in profit. This is exactly what happen and I haven't seen anyone say it. The company didn't hire for a while after the recession. They let the volume build for years, and finally at the height of Amazon we started hiring all over the country. Well Amazon started leaving now we have to adjust.

Staydryitsraining

This whole 6th day thing is going to lower UPS's profits. They've enjoyed by far the biggest profits in the industry now it will bring us down closer to FedEx. That's why while losing billions a year, the Post Master General proposed dropping Saturday delivery as that is where a lot of the losses come from. The business was built for Monday through Friday and adding Saturday is just throwing a huge wrench into the system.
You can never compare us to FedEx. If fed ex did for their employees like ups does, they would make about half the money we do. It wouldn't even be close.