Saving UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This reminds me of the time I met a little person. Someone said "little person" in front of him and he said, "I am a friend*ing midget. That little person BS is for whiney people who like attention."

In the end Upstate. If you had come out and said, "That offends me. My son is handicapped." or something to that effect, I would have apologized and refrained. But you, standing up for people who might not give a crap makes me not give a crap.

There was a thread some time ago where this line was used and, as I recall, a member took offense. I was not personally offended.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
People need not take life so seriously. I grew up with a family whose membership include a member with downs and they never treated it with kid gloves. If the term "retarded" offends maybe I can substitute it for something else. Like brussel sprouts perhaps?

Let me try this again.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the vegetable olympics. Even if you win youre still brussel sprouts!
Ha Ha, I literally laughed out loud at this one.

PS - I am not retarded anymore.
No, you're a vegan! I would have said vegetable, but didn't want to offend anyone that may have a loved one that's in a coma.:wink2:

I hope this post doesn't come off as too light.:happy2:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

No, you're a vegan! I would have said vegetable, but didn't want to offend anyone that may have a loved one that's in a coma.:wink2:

Funny!

Why didn't he pick a fruit instead of vegie?:happy-very:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Funny!

Why didn't he pick a fruit instead of vegie?:happy-very:

"I am a plant." "I thought guys like you were called a fruit."

You're my hero. My hero with only 55 calories.

and a short bus passenger

UPS IS the short bus.

I am offended, and have deleted the post.

Why are you are offended Over? Really, this is not meant to be argumentitive. I respect your decision as a mod and am not asking for you to change your mind. But why are you offended. It's a word. Besides, so many people quoted it it will live on friend-o-r-e-v-e-r friend-o-r-e-v-e-r

upsgrunt

Very intelligent response. Please tell me which of the following most anyone can do:
1. Deliver a package
2. Perform a Right Frontal Craniotomy

My point is that it is easy to SAY anyone can deliver a package. How many days did you do it?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My point is that it is easy to SAY anyone can deliver a package. How many days did you do it?
LOL, days! My guess would be the absolute minimum to achieve full time mgmt status, though, by the way she posts, I think she may be the daughter of a part time supe.

over9five

Staff member
Why are you are offended Over? Really, this is not meant to be argumentitive. I respect your decision as a mod and am not asking for you to change your mind. But why are you offended. It's a word. Besides, so many people quoted it it will live on friend-o-r-e-v-e-r friend-o-r-e-v-e-r

Because I have a child who has participated in Special Olympics. I don't think making fun of these children makes you cool, or more of a man. I think it makes you a cruel idiot.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Over:
How'd he/she do?
I have done some timekeeping at similar events and they were some of the best days that I can recall. So much fun and joy with the finishers and especially some of the Ambassadors and others that didn't compete. Cool stuff.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
That is correct, the top people at large corporations make more money from their own company stock options, then anything else. Perhaps a law should be in place where you can't hold stock in your own company of employment, that would change the whole perspective of they way you are being managed. Not swearing that this is thee solution, but something with the way the market is working these days has created a world we didn't want, it's being used against Joe Six Pack.

At least UPS doesn't backdate options, and it takes 5 years for them to vest. Having said that, I still wish the boys in Atlanta weren't so slavishly tied to the Wall Street obsession with quarterly results to the exclusion of all else...

At least UPS doesn't backdate options, and it takes 5 years for them to vest. Having said that, I still wish the boys in Atlanta weren't so slavishly tied to the Wall Street obsession with quarterly results to the exclusion of all else...

In my opinion, it's not Wall St. who has the obsession w/ quarterly results. Wall St. in and of itself isn't anything...it's what the exchange facilitates--the efficient allocation of capital. Investors...especially institutional investors which hold the bulk of the UPS public float...understand that long term value isn't measured by "a" quarterly number. Investors will penalize an asset's price if the value proposition looks to be eroded. UPS competes (again...just my opinion) in a very undesirable industry. The core of its operations--US-based small package--is a declining margin business. When margins decline in your biggest money-maker, then you're eroding value no matter how many benefits you strip you out...no matter how long you stop merit pay increases...and no matter how many office supplies you don't buy, etc.

If investors saw that there were tangible signs of value creation... i.e. that UPS gets its act together in running the Forwarding business efficiently, etc... then even if you had a few quarters of below expectation earnings, the overall stock price would reflect the future value increase.

OK... that was more of a diatribe than response...my apologies.

satellitedriver

My 2 cents. Many of the UPS drivers live a good lifestyle and that lifestlye entails working 9 hrs or more to maintain it. I'm not saying all drivers but, I will bet it is a majority. I know it is tough on the family and the body as I lived through it but, If UPS could magically get every driver off the clock in 8 hrs...do you realize how many would be complaining. Secondly, the 37% gain had very little to do with an increase in domestic volume and, if compared to the same qtr 2 yrs ago domestic volume is probably down.

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:
8/9hr day?
Bring those numbers on.
Before the "bad economy" my day was 9.5 every day.
Now that the economy is "bad" my paid days are 10.5 to 11hrs.
8 hr days would be like a day off and you would never hear me complain, if I got one.:peaceful: