Saving UPS

tranham

Stock prices are effected by many factors far out of control of the company. Weather, the price of gas, the economy, greek bailouts, etc. UPS stock was highest in Dec 04 around $84 a share. We now sit at $61 in 2010 which is close to what the stock came out at if I remeber right. IMO going public has been proven a mistake for all concerned. That may change one day but my investment in this company (stock) has not been worth it. Honestly investing in your own company is a poor choice as you get hit twice if the company goes to hell. Does whipping the horse win the race?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Because I have a child who has participated in Special Olympics. I don't think making fun of these children makes you cool, or more of a man. I think it makes you a cruel idiot.

Idiot is not such a nice word either? The word originally meant the person is mentally challenged with an IQ of 20 or less. maroon and imbecile have similar meanings, beside being a put down.

It's impossible to know what others will be offended by in all cases.

Mental deficiency used to be more finely classified using the following technical terms that later began to be abused by the rest of society (5):
IQ RangeClassification70-80Borderline deficiency50-69Moron20-49Imbecilebelow 20Idiot

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Idiot is not such a nice word either? The word originally meant the person is mentally challenged with an IQ of 20 or less. maroon and imbecile have similar meanings, beside being a put down.

Mental deficiency used to be more finely classified using the following technical terms that later began to be abused by the rest of society (5):
IQ RangeClassification70-80Borderline deficiency50-69Moron20-49Imbecilebelow 20Idiot
And not everyone with a high IQ is "brilliant".

BrownArmy

You're right! Think of this...half of all the people on earth have a less than average IQ. When surveyed, most people say they are above average.

When surveyed, most people consider themselves as above-average drivers as well.

We all know the reality on that front...

browniehound

Its funny that I can and the forum can sit here and bitch about UPS, when many people have problems with their children that they would trade 14 hour days for a healthy child. I'm never going to complain about my workload or the job I chose after reading this thread.

I was lucky enough to have a healthy baby girl born in 1995 despite the fact that her mother smoked. Yeah, she was small (5.7) and needed oxygen, but came home 3 days later. My problems with her as a teenager dwarf her infant days. Still, I wouldn't trade a day of it ever for anything.

That being said, I can't wait until she's 21, LOL!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Its funny that I can and the forum can sit here and bitch about UPS, when many people have problems with their children that they would trade 14 hour days for a healthy child. I'm never going to complain about my workload or the job I chose after reading this thread.

I was lucky enough to have a healthy baby girl born in 1995 despite the fact that her mother smoked. Yeah, she was small (5.7) and needed oxygen, but came home 3 days later. My problems with her as a teenager dwarf her infant days. Still, I wouldn't trade a day of it ever for anything.

That being said, I can't wait until she's 21, LOL!
21 is just a number, BH, as we all know, she could move out one day, and be back the very next, and you would love her all the same.:happy2:

JustTired

free at last.......
When surveyed, most people consider themselves as above-average drivers as well.

We all know the reality on that front...

I believe that the majority of drivers are "average or above average" where my use of average equates to "pretty darn good" by most companies standards.

Let me ask you this........ Just what is the incentive to being anything but "average"?

In todays' climate.....do an "above average" amount of work and it will be expected tomorrow. Spend an "above average" amount of time helping a customer with a problem and expect to hear about it tomorrow.

In the earlier days of my career as a driver....I prided myself in knowing that I was doing an "above average" job. On occasion, I was rewarded for doing so. Sometimes it was nothing more than recognition from the management team. At some point the game changed. You were no longer lauded for your "above average" performance....that "above average" performance was not only expected, it was demanded.

I became that "average" driver (and perhaps in their minds the "below average" driver) dictated by their demands.

I didn't need a pat on the back every day to do a good job.....but it sure beat the knife that replaced it.

BrownArmy

I was speaking about everyone else on the road who aren't professional drivers. If you think about it, it's sort of amazing more calamities don't happen on the road than already do. If you were a driver in the past, as I am now, I'm sure you've witnessed your share of the incredibly stupid things many 'civilian' drivers do. It's amazing, and now almost everyone is on a celly, so it's about x10.

The moves I've seen people pull...

GIDayne

Unfortunately the current micro-managing, abusive posture upper-management is taking is only creating a revenge minded uncooperative workforce. This is no recipe for a successful company to move into the future with.

We all watched UPS create many of its own problems because of short staffing and under-planning their operations through the years. Many of us were still willing to try to help this company when we weren’t treated so badly. Gone are the days now when the average driver goes above and beyond their job responsibilities to help the company function. In many cases you are even disciplined if it takes any extra time to do your normal duties by trying. I no longer meet other drivers to trade misroutes, no longer try to deliver misroutes, no longer wait or return for pickups, no longer make easy second attempts on send-agains, no longer try to explain additional services to customers, no longer spend time getting sales leads, and no longer try to fix my EDD. UPS upper-management made me this way.

What upper management doesn’t understand is that they can’t do it themselves. They need a cooperative and helpful workforce and are now in a position where they must earn it back. This may be the beginning of the end of UPS if that doesn’t happen.
You are so very right! And it's throughout the workforce - not just drivers.