Saw something interesting in our "graveyard" parking lot

laffter

On one side of our building we have sort of a graveyard lot where the old (or overflow) trucks are parked. The other day I saw some sort of portable unit with four "doors". The type of doors a truck or trailer would back up into.

There has been talk about expanding this building for a long time. One center in particular is constantly spilling over into the other belts. During peek, we have cars parked down the center isles with rollers extending out to them. Etc etc... I'm sure you all see the same crap.

I'm not entirely sure how this portable unit would work, but does this sound like a sign of expansion? Do any of you have similar units at your buildings?

This thing looks to be the size of a long trailer, only taller.

EDIT: Found a picture to show the general idea. As far as how the doors are setup, it's like this: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/john_becker/jan18/ups_dock_trlr01a_jlb.jpg

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
On one side of our building we have sort of a graveyard lot where the old (or overflow) trucks are parked. The other day I saw some sort of portable unit with four "doors". The type of doors a truck or trailer would back up into.

There has been talk about expanding this building for a long time. One center in particular is constantly spilling over into the other belts. During peek, we have cars parked down the center isles with rollers extending out to them. Etc etc... I'm sure you all see the same crap.

I'm not entirely sure how this portable unit would work, but does this sound like a sign of expansion? Do any of you have similar units at your buildings?

This thing looks to be the size of a long trailer, only taller.

EDIT: Found a picture to show the general idea. As far as how the doors are setup, it's like this: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/john_becker/jan18/ups_dock_trlr01a_jlb.jpg

My building used those as air recovery trailers. Package cars would back up to then and unload onto rollers then the airs got loaded into an air can. They didn't look identical but were similar. Also similar things were used as extensions for the hub.

trickpony1

The dock height of those doors would suggest that trailers would be backed up to each door.

Unless.....behind each of those doors is a retractable slide that would accommodate a preloader in the pkg car to work safely.....which I doubt.

Sparkey86

We used to call them MDC's I think, we have added these on a couple of times at our place over the years. Years ago they were cold as whiz in the winter and the cars didn't seal well against the building. We would have to wipe snow off the packages. This is where they sent the worst of the worst preloaders. A "Gitmo" if you will, of the center.

Rainman

Its all good.
When I first started part time, we had something like that. Only, it was about 3 end to end welded together with a belt running down the middle, permanently mounted. We used it to sort feeder loads until we moved into out present building.
You can tell the old timers from the rest of the gang pretty easily. We call the building we moved into over 30 years ago the " new building."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Kind of shoddy for a multi-billion dollar industry leader.
That's United Parcel Service.
Used them all the time.
Some centers consist of cut out trailers.
Control costs.

I'm not sure if it is up to UPS standards these days.

We called them MDC usually or MDU on occasion. (Mobile Distribution Center or Unit)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Have one out at the village right now. They served two purposes, one would be somewhat high, to allow access to the aircans when doing Saturday air. The other type is lower to the ground, allowing PC's to line up 4 deep on each side with a roller down the middle. They can be used on outbound docks during peak to supply additional space for PC's.