Scanners and batteries

serco

Batteries won't hold a charge. Scanners that constantly freeze up. Anybody else dealing with these same issues ? Terminal won't buy any new Ones. Because new ones are supposed to be rolled out after peak. At this point I think it would be cheaper for me to buy my own batteries and stop running different ones out to drivers everyday.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Batteries won't hold a charge. Scanners that constantly freeze up. Anybody else dealing with these same issues ? Terminal won't buy any new Ones. Because new ones are supposed to be rolled out after peak. At this point I think it would be cheaper for me to buy my own batteries and stop running different ones out to drivers everyday.
Have your drivers throw the batteries away as they die. Your terminal will be forced to replace them.

bacha29

Tell management in advance that not if but when your old exhausted batteries die they will have two choices . Bring out a bucket full of batteries and perhaps 8 or 10 of them might get you through the day or ........you'll be coming back that night with a "War and Peace" sized stack of hand sheets.

My station is having issues with the zebra printers. They have a tendency to cut off half of the astra label which cannot be scanned. I mentioned this to one of my managers and we have a technician supposedly coming out to fix the issues. YMMV

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
........you'll be coming back that night with a "War and Peace" sized stack of hand sheets.

Nope, I'm not filling out those legal-sized hand sheets... if they fail to give us backup batteries, I'm going to use the printed manifest and jot down each driver release point on every stop...

ones with a signature, I'll make the consignee sign a status tag.

They can have fun manually entering them the next morning after dispatch

So is that why they're not getting more batteries? The Motorola power pad is old tech after peak 2018????

I currently use up 2 skinny batteries with a spare in the passenger side door pocket & we're not at peak levels yet

Last edited:

Serf

Agree. Having the same issues. As for peak season, last year on the 22nd & 23rd I did a pickup route without a power pad. Simply not enough equipment.

bacha29

Sounds like Fat Freddy is up to something. Wonder what he wants to buy next ? USPS? The ATC network ? Perhaps both? Donnie Dearest wants to sell both in order to pay down his exploding deficit. Maybe Fat Freddy is trying to scrap up the cash to do just that.

SFA Question 30, I am able to get the supplies and other resources i need to do my job.......STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!!!!!
I just let my battery run out, if my "manager" won't bring me a new one, I just idle at 10 MPH all the way back to the station, get a new battery, idle back out and do 7 stops an hour. Get em where it hurts, overtime and low stops per hour. I like the idea of just throwing them out, I will start doing that.

SmithBarney

Get an Car charger for the motorola powerpad, it costs about the same as a new battery, tell drivers to plug it in during lunch. Or get extended run battery packs about $100/each generic branded.

OrioN

Confirmed, we're getting new scanners after peak 2018... soo all that stuff will be obsolete.

Aren't subcontractors paying for the ppad rental anyways? The extra battery chargers should've been included for those with p1000s and with extended routes

OrioN

Hopefully it's for both opco...

Short video about it...

Comments saying that the battery will last a whole day or two... we shall see

OrioN

Yeah, they got rid of physical keypad buttons & went strictly with touchscreen...

some Amazon drivers are saying they're similar to their "rabbits" with the cameras enabled to take pictures of the driver release point

I wonder if we can still upload our manifest to the Garmin GPS units via data cable or are we going to follow Amazon's process of having the map nav embedded into these new powerpad s

I recently got a replacement Motorola power pad since my physical buttons weren't working to spell out customers last names...

More and more drivers getting fed up with these Motorola scanners. My guess, they're going to the competition next to salvage whatever they can like what Honeywell did when we dropped their lineup

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
blah! touchscreen! I'm going to feel like an old fart here but I hate, hate, HATE, having to use the touchscreen. I'd rather not have to look at the ppad at all when doing a dr.

Honestly, what would I like to see in the new scanners at Express:

Same basic software setup, possibly with a few new features. (ability for stops to drop off your scanner when vanned onto a different truck would be nice plzthankyou!)

Faster Processor, More on board storage, LTE cellular chip.

Oh, and a SEPARATED ARROW PAD. Not this huge one big coin that we have right now that you can easily roll the wrong way.