sears kmart

brett636

How 'bout a GM style bailout courtesy of the American taxpayer?

As far as i am concerned GM is dead, and any post 2008 model year vehicles of theirs are not even on my radar for purchase. I would rather Sears dissappear than to have the name live on due to the political aspirations of a few politicans in Washington.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As far as i am concerned GM is dead, and any post 2008 model year vehicles of theirs are not even on my radar for purchase. I would rather Sears dissappear than to have the name live on due to the political aspirations of a few politicans in Washington.
Obama's a tool, but I don't want him selling them. If they can't save themselves then Sear's can disappear.

texan

Once you bought a Craftsman tool, it was for the rest of your life (free replacement, no questions). Who thought it would ever be for the rest of Sear's life ??

The were the best of the best in tools. Very hard to break. Real quality.

texan

People and workshops here say otherwise.
They rely only on Snap-ON tools.

Yes I understand. I was refering to 35 to 25 :happy2:years ago. I should have clarified. This was when America still had
quality US made products. Now Snap ONs are reported to be better.

Yes I understand. I was refering to 35 to 25 :happy2:years ago. I should have clarified. This was when America still had
quality US made products. Now Snap ONs are reported to be better.

Never mind Klein. Anything you`d say is wrong. If you had said Snap-On he would have said Mac.

texan

Back when I changed ( 40 to 25 years ago) cam shafts, cylinder heads, intake manifolds, rear ends etc etc....
Nothing felt better in your hand than a 1/2 drive Craftsman breaker bar, or 1/2 drive ratchet. All their box wrenches, screwdrivers etc were great.

beentheredonethat

KMART bought the Sears Chain in 2004. Kmart, Sears to merge in $11B deal - Nov. 17, 2004

KMART was already struggling with trying to keep up with Target and Walmart and has been unable to maintain market share. WALMARTS cheap china imports along with TARGETS imports and volume have crushed KMARTS ability to compete.

When they bought Sears, they thought it would add a better blend of merchandise to the KMART branding, but it hasnt.

At the end of the day, the MULTITUDES of walmarts in each city has been the death of the local Kmart and Sears stores.

In a typical city, like mine, there are 7 walmart supercenters and ONE Sears and ONE KMART. How can they possibly compete on those terms?

Maybe now people will understand how ONE chain can put other businesses in the graveyard.

Dont complain, its capitalism at work. Blame BUSH.

Peace.

TOS,
You sound a bit like UPS management from the late 70's and early 80's. They laughed at how a small time outfit like Federal Express could ever rival UPS. They laughed again when RPS was founded. Well we aren't laughing anymore. A small competitor can prosper at the expense of the dominant player in the field. If you go further back in time, REA didn't think a rival like UPS was a threat. They have been out of business for decades now.

Also, for a quick history lesson, K Mart was part of a larger organization with their main stores named Kresge, in 1962, Kresge opened the first 17 Kmart stores and that same year Sam Walton opened the first walmart store.
By 1970, walmart had 38 total stores. But in 1966, Kmart already had 166 stores and 753 Kresge stores. They were the 2 ton gorilla in retail. The information I entered above, came from the walmart website as well as from the sears holding web site. Also, if you read Sam Walton's book, you would have learned how Kmart acted like the big player and tried to force out the small stores like Walmart. However, Sam Walton fought back and beat them at their own game. Some companies do well and stay for hundreds of years, other companies do well for a while, then they are beaten by their competitors.

GM was the largest car company in the world, they didn't think any company could knock them off their perch. They were wrong too. Just because you are a big company means you will stay big. The key to staying in business, is to never be satisfied, to continue to evolve, continue to improve, continue to provide what your customers want.

That is capitalism.

brownelf

Our local has Sears employees (what's left of them actually) so I've always tried to buy from Sears. Recently I purchased a mattress and box spring from Sears, and scheduled a delivery when it came in. When it arrived I immediately noticed that is was the wrong size mattress as well as being the wrong brand. From that point it took me another 2 wks of run around with what is now a non union company that runs the former Sears warehouse and is responsible for deliveries of the large items such as appliances and furniture,ect. The guys who deliver are all independent contractors ala FedEx and the people inside apparently haven't a clue either. In the end I drove to the warehouse to get my mattress, that said I'll never buy from Sears again. Perhaps the money they've saved farming out all those union jobs to incompentent contractors is worth the customers they've lost because of them.

bigblu 2 you

kmart was another lesson in corporate mis -management.i can remember in my earlier delivery years having a bulk load 50-100 pieces along with the belks,tg&y and an upstart{small,now supercenter}walmart.funny thing is these were all non union jobs and the employees often made anti union remarks.i can remember the guy who accepted freight at k-mart laughing when they stopped using our pick up account and went to r.p.s. he thought we made to much and unions were useless.place closed in 3 months and i dont know where r.p.s. went?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I can't believe my "Emily Latella" joke got taken off....................I didn't think SNL was objectionable. Geez! (short for Jesus)

I can't believe my "Emily Latella" joke got taken off....................I didn't think SNL was objectionable. Geez! (short for Jesus)

Thought it was quite funny and it would have been ok for tv. Apparently someone got their panties in a bundle.

Here I`ll try. This is an old one and fits the theme of the thread:

Whats the difference between a Kenmore washer and your mom? The Kenmore doesn`t follow me around after I dump a load into it.

beentheredonethat

I had bought from Sears occasionally. My dad told me how much he disliked Sears since whenever he bought a Kenmore appliance it would break about a month after the warranty expired. I had bought their craftsman hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers etc).
But I gave up on Sears after a problem I had with a lawnmower. I bought a lawnmower and also bought the extended warranty (for 3 years). The only reason I bought it, was that the warranty included a free tuneup each year, (replace spark plugs, sharpen\replace blade etc). Well I got a tuneup on the mower the first 2 out of 3 years. They call shortly before warranty expires and asks if I'd like to extend the same warranty for another 3 years. I decide to do it. Well, a year later, I have a vibration in my lawn mower and decide to bring it in to get repaired and also a tuneup. Well, the lady at the Sears repair ctr tells me my warranty doesn't cover free tuneups. She then said, it has never covered free tuneups. I ask her to look at her records and see if I brought it in before for tuneups. She does as I ask, and she says yes you brought it in 2 years ago and 3 years ago for a tuneup. I agree, then I ask, what does the computer say I paid for the tuneup? she said it was nothing. I told her she's right it was nothing, since it was covered under warranty. However, I still got nothing. So I said fine, just repair the lawnmower for now. Well the give me a claim ticket and the lawnmower would be repaired and back in the repair ctr on Sat the 7th. I go the morning of the 7th to get my lawnmower and I tell them I'm here to pick up my lawnmower. They ask if they had called me. I told them no. Then they ask why I thought it would be ready? I told them, your claim ticket you gave me, said it would be here now. So the lady at the counter says we have another run from the folks who actually do the repair and that truck will be here in 90 minutes. I live a good 40 minutes from this facility, so I hang around town and do a few other errands waiting for my lawnmower. (The grass is high, and I really need the lawnmower).

So I call back to the repair place after the truck was supposed to deliver the repairs. Turns out on Saturdays, they don't have a truck come to deliver back the repaired items. So I wasted time hanging around town waiting for a truck that never was scheduled to come. The mgr of the store apologized, and wasn't sure why the associate said that, then said they weren't sure why my mower wasn't back when it was promised. She'd call back and follow up.

I get a call a few days later, saying they identified the problem with the lawnmower and that it was the main shaft of mower was bent due to probably hitting a rock. Then they told me that wasn't covered since it's considered abuse. I told the lady, wait a minute, the guy at sears when I bought it said it would cover everything. She said, no one at sears would ever say that. It is clear on the paperwork, that this wasn't covered. Well, she was right about the paperwork saying it wasn't covered. But I was positive that is what the guy told me when I bought it.

So, the next day, I went to the same sears store where I bought the lawnmower originally. I asked to buy a new lawnmower. After selecting one, I was asked if I wanted a warranty. I asked them to tell me what it covered. They told me it covered everything. Everything? I asked. Yes, it covers everything. I told them, I use the lawnmower to mow the lawn at my church and the grass goes to the main road and occasionally a rock gets thrown into the grass. What if I hit a rock with the lawnmower? He said it would be covered, no questions asked.

After that, I said I'll buy it, but I'd like to verify something and asked for his mgr. The mgr was near us and she came over. I asked her the same question about the warranty. She said the exact same thing, everything is covered. That's when I told her, I have a lawnmower under warranty sitting at the sears repair center not getting repaired because they said it is not covered by warranty because I hit a rock while mowing and bent the shaft.

At this point, I had the two sears employees and about 5 shoppers looking for mowers all around me as I told everyone in a loud voice how I was being told one thing by Sears sales, then said by Sears repair people that the fine print says thsi isn't so, and I must have been lying. The mgr called up the repair place but she couldn't get them to budge on the repairs. She asked me what I wanted. I told her, I wanted all my money back on the warranty I paid over the last two warranty periods and place that money into a new lawnmower. She at first said she couldn't do that. I told her, fine. I'm going to go to the local news and tell them exactly what happened. I will let them write a story so bad about sears and I will tell them exactly who I talked with and what I said and what you said. I have 5 witnesses here and will ask them all for their names so they could be a witness for the newspaper.

I was able to get what I wanted, it took a little while, but they finally caved. But after that purchase, I vowed to never buy from SEARS again. I was very happy when I learned they got bought out and even happier that the new company is doing poorly. They have horrible customer service.

Last edited: