Season helper - anyone had problems with their driver?

dqs95124

Nobody likes you. That's why you keep getting new drivers. At this point we deal with what we get. Your at the bottom of a barrel. You can't do the job. We talk we know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
......then her innate and inherited athleticism would be a welcome component to the collective gene pool for the superior race commune already started in upper NY state.

You two would be good contributors.
Uh she's an adopted member of the dark chocolate squad.

Overpaid Union Thug

Being a bit of a dick is saying the wrong thing with an attitude. Not smoking in my face and leaving a paid employee behind. And he has no family. He has a girlfriend and he rents if it matter.

How are part-time employees making 10 an hr entitled and spoiled? It's not the GED grad in a Union making 70k a year who can't be fired no matter what?

I have to get a lawyer because this is completely unjustified, unethical and wrong.
Sorry about all the negative and presumtious responses towards you. But you have to understand that helpers aren't what they used to be. That's why most drivers (including me) are quick to side with a driver. But in this case I'm starting to think you might have been the victim here.

Your driver shouldn't be telling you to walk across lawns. He should be instructing you to stay on designated walk paths and to walk at a brisk pace while doing so. He knows that. And he shouldn't be smoking in the truck either. He knows that too. And, despite what others are saying, (and assuming everything happened just as you said) he definitely should not have abandoned you like that. He should have at least taken you back to your vehicle. He knows that as well.

There are bitter :censored2:s at UPS just like anywhere else. It sounds like you were paired with one. Or it might have just been a case of having a bad day. I'm going with the former. And he also sounds like he's a runner or gunner or someone that is gutless and goes into "peak mode" because UPS over dispatches him.

You were wronged but don't bother taking legal action. It will be a waste of time. There's only one week left but if you really want to finish it out then try and get ahold of the center manger or on car supervisor and explain what happened and that you still want to work. But know this...... 99% of the center managers in the country WILL NOT discipline a driver for what that guy did. Especially during peak. All they care about is numbers on a spreadsheet. Your explanation should only serve to get you on the truck with a different driver.

Good luck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Dude, you broke the number one rule of being a helper: do what your driver tells you to do.
B.S. and you know it.

Do what is safe, #1, and how you were TRAINED to do the job. The helper works for UPS, not the driver. And UPS should have trained every helper (should have, not necessarily did) to perform the basic functions of the job. And a safe walk path should ALWAYS be NUMBER ONE priority.

6Brown

Driver Helper
I've had no issues with my drivers. I've been working every day for an average of 6 hours. You have to make sure you are working hard, and doing everything you can to help your driver get the job done quickly and efficiently. The harder you work, the more hours you will get. I'm no fan of Obama, but he tells his daughters "no matter what you do, be helpful and be kind'. I think those two things can get you anywhere.

Jonathan Carlson

I appreciate the thoughtful response. We'll see how things transpire.

Sorry about all the negative and presumtious responses towards you. But you have to understand that helpers aren't what they used to be. That's why most drivers (including me) are quick to side with a driver. But in this case I'm starting to think you might have been the victim here.

Your driver shouldn't be telling you to walk across lawns. He should be instructing you to stay on designated walk paths and to walk at a brisk pace while doing so. He knows that. And he shouldn't be smoking in the truck either. He knows that too. And, despite what others are saying, (and assuming everything happened just as you said) he definitely should not have abandoned you like that. He should have at least taken you back to your vehicle. He knows that as well.

There are bitter :censored2:s at UPS just like anywhere else. It sounds like you were paired with one. Or it might have just been a case of having a bad day. I'm going with the former. And he also sounds like he's a runner or gunner or someone that is gutless and goes into "peak mode" because UPS over dispatches him.

You were wronged but don't bother taking legal action. It will be a waste of time. There's only one week left but if you really want to finish it out then try and get ahold of the center manger or on car supervisor and explain what happened and that you still want to work. But know this...... 99% of the center managers in the country WILL NOT discipline a driver for what that guy did. Especially during peak. All they care about is numbers on a spreadsheet. Your explanation should only serve to get you on the truck with a different driver.

Good luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Being a bit of a dick is saying the wrong thing with an attitude. Not smoking in my face and leaving a paid employee behind. And he has no family. He has a girlfriend and he rents if it matter.

How are part-time employees making 10 an hr entitled and spoiled? It's not the GED grad in a Union making 70k a year who can't be fired no matter what?

I have to get a lawyer because this is completely unjustified, unethical and wrong.
And sue for WHAT, exactly?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I foresee guarantee in your check for the week before Christmas.

When I got off road this afternoon (2:30pm) our center manager's wife and the daughter in question were having lunch with him in his office. He introduced me to them and she said that she was looking forward to see what it is that we do out there. Should be interesting.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I signed in with google and the username was chosen for me - I am not changing it. I have had two drivers in 3 days of work. The first day with Justin was fine (7 hrs due to misload). The second day with Lisa was fine (raining most of the day for 6 hrs). Then the third day I am with Justin again. I get on the truck and we head off without saying too much.

At the very first stop he pulls just past the drive way onto the embankment and starts to pull out a larger package. Sometimes drivers move things around and so I don't know if this is what I am delivering. So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill (paved driveway). When I get back I ask "Are you in a bad mood" because things were fine the other day between us. We got a lot done. He says that he's tired and he wants to home. It's 11:15 am. I understand this week and next are very difficult so I prepare for a busy, but silent day.

We do another stop at property with several structures. He tells me to put it on the porch. I cannot see the porch on the few visible structures so I say "What porch?" He points to his left and I realize there is another house blocked by the truck.

We get do the third stop and he points to the house and says "Side door" so I start walking, but apparently I didn't make a B-line so he says "Walk across the grass!" In orientation they taught us not to do this, so occasionally I would use the walkway if it were close enough and Justin hated this. If he said so, I would use the grass. But this time, he was just busting my balls because it hardly mattered at all. So I said "I can handle it - they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do." He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it" because I was halfway there with the package in hand. He said "Fine, then I'm leaving without you." And he did! He passed me several times (once to drop off my belongings at my car) I had to walk a mile on a very busy road. I was furious.

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.
Why are you a 36 year old helper?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I got off road this afternoon (2:30pm) our center manager's wife and the daughter in question were having lunch with him in his office. He introduced me to them and she said that she was looking forward to see what it is that we do out there. Should be interesting.
Just don't let her get hit by a car.....lol