Seasonal Help Pay Issues

meeka

Hi,

I've worked seasonal jobs previously but this is another realm. They originally advertised online $13.00 an hr. Show up to the interview and was then told $10.35 with a 'maybe' $80 week bonus for coming to work. I'm aware that last year it was $13. I did the math and the $10.35 is based on a 30 or hr so workweek. For coming up, that's not realistic. At best, we would be making $11 hr. Also corporate is hoping to cut into not paying as much on overtime. $15 hr OT is often base-pay for many jobs here. Amazon is starting at $15. Fedex is hiring seasonal at $17.

Accepting this is the first step. Next is that since starting they won't allow me to work Mondays. Then they tell me you have to work Mon-Friday to get the bonus. Not just the days they tell you to come in. I've worked all days they tell me to come in (or I ask if I can). Effectively this assures they won't have to pay a bonus.

Furthermore, overtime kicks in after 40hrs and not after 8hrs a day. This solidifies the no Monday routine for less pay. I'm guessing in December it'll be busy enough there won't be a choice. It's still frustrating knowing I'm doing the same work as seasonal last year and getting nickle and dimed for it.

Is there a way to ask to get the $80 bonus for working the days they tell me? I work hard, show up on time, get along with the drivers, and try to get as many hours as I can. Why would seasonal want to stay after this??? I honestly feel I'm getting screwed over. Or I guess we are all just that disposable.

PS. FWIW I understand corporate and the 'bonus' isn't a bonus for us. It's a bonus for them to save money and appear 'generous.' Or maybe fool people into thinking they are making what is equal to the original $13 hr. I hate the concept. Just pay fairly for the work done. If you want to retain people, pay nicely and treat them fair. Currently they are having people leave for Macy's or just quit.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi,

I've worked seasonal jobs previously but this is another realm. They originally advertised online $13.00 an hr. Show up to the interview and was then told $10.35 with a 'maybe' $80 week bonus for coming to work. I'm aware that last year it was $13. I did the math and the $10.35 is based on a 30 or hr so workweek. For coming up, that's not realistic. At best, we would be making $11 hr. Also corporate is hoping to cut into not paying as much on overtime. $15 hr OT is often base-pay for many jobs here. Amazon is starting at $15. Fedex is hiring seasonal at $17.

Accepting this is the first step. Next is that since starting they won't allow me to work Mondays. Then they tell me you have to work Mon-Friday to get the bonus. Not just the days they tell you to come in. I've worked all days they tell me to come in (or I ask if I can). Effectively this assures they won't have to pay a bonus.

Furthermore, overtime kicks in after 40hrs and not after 8hrs a day. This solidifies the no Monday routine for less pay. I'm guessing in December it'll be busy enough there won't be a choice. It's still frustrating knowing I'm doing the same work as seasonal last year and getting nickle and dimed for it.

Is there a way to ask to get the $80 bonus for working the days they tell me? I work hard, show up on time, get along with the drivers, and try to get as many hours as I can. Why would seasonal want to stay after this??? I honestly feel I'm getting screwed over. Or I guess we are all just that disposable.

PS. FWIW I understand corporate and the 'bonus' isn't a bonus for us. It's a bonus for them to save money and appear 'generous.' Or maybe fool people into thinking they are making what is equal to the original $13 hr. I hate the concept. Just pay fairly for the work done. If you want to retain people, pay nicely and treat them fair. Currently they are having people leave for Macy's or just quit.

“Pay nicely and treat them fair”

Good luck with that

Lmao

meeka

Good luck with that

Lmao

The "American Dream"

Why would you want to work for a company that is going to “nickel and dime” you when you can work at Amazon or FedEx for more?

here.jpg

HcvMksB4

My brother works for UPS and did seasonal last year going into becoming a driver. He says positive things about the union and benefits. However, last year they didn't treat their seasonal like this. He didn't experience what I am. I guess I'm wondering if this is a fluke or if this is how it is. I was also asking if it's possible to even ask for the bonus to be given (considering the circumstances).

Last edited:

Brisket

I guess I'm wondering if this is a fluke or if this is how it is. I was also asking if it's possible to even ask for the bonus to be given (considering the circumstances).

You can ask for the bonus, and as soon as you walk away they will :
504B475D-AE42-472C-85B4-0E221CCAD5EA.gif

But there may be a chance...

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
I would turn down any offer that is less than what was posted not worth the trouble.

On a different note, center manager wants us to find our own helpers @ $13 but *wink* we are trying to get them $15.50 no guarantee though.
Rather work 14 hours.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi,

Contact your states Attorney General's office and alert them of the bait and switch.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Good luck with that

Lmao
In my local they pay below the market, so the company pays a fortune to bus in helpers. Now they pay them overtime since the work all day
Makes zero sense?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Only reason I stayed when the wages were 11.25 was the extreme proximity and the near-FT hours. I got thrown in averaging 34 hours weekly and the overtime after 5 ($16.87 for 10 hours) was not bad at all for a first time job.

And of course now we are getting paid 15/h + 200/w

Still can't find enough people: I loaded 2 assignments, 7 cars today.

meeka

You can ask for the bonus, and as soon as you walk away they will :
View attachment 221870

But there may be a chance...

May as well try. Nothing to lose and my pride died ages ago.

I would turn down any offer that is less than what was posted not worth the trouble.

On a different note, center manager wants us to find our own helpers @ $13 but *wink* we are trying to get them $15.50 no guarantee though.
Rather work 14 hours.

Hire me! :clap: I hear you. I took the job because one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Still can't find enough people: I loaded 2 assignments, 7 cars today.
I'm available Mondays. :rolleyes:

Quit while you are ahead.
:blushing2:

You should consider yourself lucky to even have a job...
I'm not worthless. I even have a meaningful degree. Lucky to have a job shouldn't entail any and all sort of treatment or pay. I'm just trying to get back on my feet again. Certain pay and hours makes that difficult. I have rent and bills to pay like everyone else.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
May as well try. Nothing to lose and my pride died ages ago.

Hire me! :clap: I hear you. I took the job because one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'm available Mondays. :rolleyes:

:blushing2:

I'm not worthless. I even have a meaningful degree. Lucky to have a job shouldn't entail any and all sort of treatment or pay. I'm just trying to get back on my feet again. Certain pay and hours makes that difficult. I have rent and bills to pay like everyone else.

What “meaningful degree” is it you hold that would cause you to have to work a sort at UPS to provide for yourself?