Seasonal preloaders

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When UPS started the drivers would load their cars, make their deliveries and come back and off load their pickup pieces. UPS quickly learned that it would be cheaper to have PTers load and unload the cars.
Oh please, Dave...those were long before the days of Amazon and online shopping and returning to the building at 9pm...how many stops and pieces a day did you deliver in 1992?

oldngray

nowhere special
Small centers still have drivers sort and load their own package cars. Preload makes more sense for larger centers but still not for the small extended centers.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Oh sure...get rid of thousands of hard working people...who are, by the way, your union brothers and sisters.
Never said get rid of them or fire them, just stated my opinion on the matter. I dont roll that way or wish that upon anyone union brother or not. Whole thing boils down to them being trained incorrectly and some people that load just flat out dont care and dont have pride in how they do their jobs. Not everybody can have tremendous work ethics like you and i BB.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Preloading is miserable. Get up in the middle of the night, do 5 hours worth of work in 3.5 hours, discover an hour into the sort that dispatch made one of your cars entirely in the 8000s & have to spend time fixing the load, get micromanaged from 3-5 people who just want you to toss stuff on the car and don't get a dang where it goes, etc.

Typically, Preloaders are either middle-aged and seeking insurance or very young, appealing to the $10-11 wage vs. $7.20 at Mc'Ds. If UPS were to offer driver wages for its Preload, the quality pool of employees applying for the job would be dramaticlly different.
They have definitely dumbed down the job for sure with a system that dont work. Back in the day when they didnt have pal labels and dol, it went much smoother. The loader had to actually use their brain and make smart decisions on how to load the truck. They spent all this money on stuff now that dont work and make it 10x harder for loader and driver, just sayin. Sometimes new school isnt as good as old school thats the truth.

PT Car Washer

I love when I find an out of state misload and when you show it to the preloader and preload sups they will look at the PAL label and throw it back into the load.

J

jibbs

About preload though, it is a beast. I always put load was acceptable even if it was :censored2:, just because of the experience. Put 500 pieces in a tiny truck, then dig through it for ad cuts at 8:30 in the morning. While pulling irregs off the belt, making space for a surprise bulk stop on another car. Get stacked out careful not to misload, and have 3 totes stacked to sort. Not everyday is like that, but you understand. Its not just put a package in a car. Man, I can still see 30 tires for Costco coming down the belt to an already packed truck.

That's actually an awesome preload description, especially this time of the year.

browner89

My Sups are always helping (yeah, they know its a no-no too) and only the center manager ever raises his voice, which is rare. From everything I've ever read on here my center is ass backwards and I love it. Very easy (well, relaxed, I guess, fast pace, same work everyone else does, just little to no BS) and enjoyable working enviroment.

HardknocksUPSer

My Sups are always helping (yeah, they know its a no-no too) and only the center manager ever raises his voice, which is rare. From everything I've ever read on here my center is ass backwards and I love it. Very easy (well, relaxed, I guess, fast pace, same work everyone else does, just little to no BS) and enjoyable working enviroment.
Do we work at the same center? There's little hassle at my center as you said, I do admit the PT sups in primary are sticklers but other than them the others are great to work with as far as being relaxed and not yelling and ect.

browner89

Do we work at the same center? There's little hassle at my center as you said, I do admit the PT sups in primary are sticklers but other than them the others are great to work with as far as being relaxed and not yelling and ect.

It's nice because any new hire would read this place and believe there is no hope for sanity working at UPS, while probably largely true, its nice to know there are some pockets across the country protected from the normal operations.

HardknocksUPSer

Deffinately! I'm new hire myself, and I mean yeah it's a tough job and tough faced paced environment but at the end of the day it's just freakin packages, we all know the job sucks but it's good pay and good benefits and worth it later on, management are a bunch of clowns no matter where your at but all in all UPS is a good place to work, most people let it get to them but it's not worth it, it's all about the mentality you go to worth with each day.

bobybooshay

My hub must be the only exception, I was trained decently. They told me how to do the job and helped me for a few weeks to a month until I could operate on my own. I was told how to load specific trucks in a different way besides the label numbers. Also I ask the drivers where they would prefer certain things, or if I am doing something wrong. My supervisors are not complete :censored2:s, the way I came to expect with coming here and reading different threads. I mean sometimes they yell at some people, but I was expecting the to just be complete dicks 100% of the time. I guess I just got lucky.
Same with me.

I just started December 9th. I'm hoping it turns into a permanent job, but for now, I'm seasonal help. All they have me do is pull packages off the belt and give it to the loaders of the trucks immediately around me. If they're not for those trucks, I push them down the "roller bars" as the belt ends where I stand. I haven't been told to actually do any loading myself. Plus, I seem to have been hired kinda late, even for seasonal. A couple of other seasonals asked why I took the job if it'll just end on the 24th. I said that when you're flat broke, you'll jump at anything that'll put some money in your pocket.