Seasonal PVD Pay Question

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Its nothing personal.
It would be like @sailfish being on a big plumbing job, and then some dude shows up with a crecent wrench and a flashlight after watching some videos on youtube about how to fix a toilet.
Me on a plumbing job would be like The Stig coming in to do your job. Sounds, good in theory, but the completely wrong tools and skillset.

Back From Break
Won grievances on PVDs getting extra work Mon-Fri and won grievances on PVDs working Saturdays over RPCDs. Many members made money off of it.

I agree that any extra work, or Saturday or Sunday work, should go to any RPCD that wants it before a PVD gets it. But, let me ask you this.

Were these grievances filed after the fact?
Would these RPCD's have actually volunteered for the work?
Or did they just see an opportunity and want free money?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
To be fair, PVDs do have to pay union dues - at least that was the case when I worked last year as a PVD. All the drivers that I helped out seemed to be very grateful for the PVDs as we were often the only reason they were able to get home at a reasonable hour most nights.
Right now ups has the volume to handle pvds but in the future they might not and if you dont take care of things in the beginning it always comes back to hurt you

Jkloc420

Ups is looking to get rid of full time drivers making top wage, they want a bunch of part time drivers making 20 dollars an hour like amazon

Back From Break
Right now ups has the volume to handle pvds but in the future they might not and if you dont take care of things in the beginning it always comes back to hurt you

OK. If UPS does not have the volume to handle PVD's in the future, do not hire any PVD's.

UPS has had seasonal package car drivers for decades. If they needed them during peak, they hired them. If they didn't need them, they didn't hire them.

A PVD is a dues paying seasonal package car driver that drives their personal vehicle instead of a package car or a UPS rented rental.

I am not against seasonal package car drivers, PVD's, or jumpers as long as they are only used during peak. And, yes I know, some Supplements allow vacation replacements during the summer. Without them, UPS could not deliver the dramatically increased package volume during peak, or allow as many employees as possible to take a summer vacation.

Transportation is not the only business that need to hire extra temporary help during "peak." Retail hires as many temps as transportation does. Warehousing, sales, customer service also hires thousands of temps. It's the nature of the beast.

The Union just needs to continue to keep a tight control on when, and how, these temporary jobs can be used.

Jkloc420

OK. If UPS does not have the volume to handle PVD's in the future, do not hire any PVD's.

UPS has had seasonal package car drivers for decades. If they needed them during peak, they hired them. If they didn't need them, they didn't hire them.

A PVD is a dues paying seasonal package car driver that drives their personal vehicle instead of a package car or a UPS rented rental.

I am not against seasonal package car drivers, PVD's, or jumpers as long as they are only used during peak. And, yes I know, some Supplements allow vacation replacements during the summer. Without them, UPS could not deliver the dramatically increased package volume during peak, or allow as many employees as possible to take a summer vacation.

Transportation is not the only business that need to hire extra temporary help during "peak." Retail hires as many temps as transportation does. Warehousing, sales, customer service also hires thousands of temps. It's the nature of the beast.

The Union just needs to continue to keep a tight control on when, and how, these temporary jobs can be used.
Nothing is ever temporary or seasonal

It's a violation of article 26 and it's something a company should definitely negotiate with the union.

And some people did want the extra overtime and they should have been offered to them first before the work was given away to the PVD drivers.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Thing is around these parts a jumper is always 5 times faster than a PVD I'm not joking.
A peak expansion that was friendly to organized labor would start any new labor inside the building first. And that means dramatically improving training practices that :eyeroll have been completely gutted along with the entire HR department.

Back From Break
Nothing is ever temporary or seasonal

UPS has had seasonal package car drivers, jumpers, inside help, for decades. They are, and have always been, temporary.

It's a violation of article 26

No it is not. They are not forcing any package car driver to drive their personal vehicle.

And some people did want the extra overtime and they should have been offered to them first before the work was given away to the PVD drivers.

I agree with this. Any extra work or overtime should be offered to RPCD's before utilizing any PVD.

Thing is around these parts a jumper is always 5 times faster than a PVD I'm not joking.

True. But with COVID and drivers refusing to use jumpers, there is not much of an option left.

Jkloc420

UPS has had seasonal package car drivers, jumpers, inside help, for decades. They are, and have always been, temporary.

No it is not. They are not forcing any package car driver to drive their personal vehicle.

I agree with this. Any extra work or overtime should be offered to RPCD's before utilizing any PVD.

True. But with COVID and drivers refusing to use jumpers, there is not much of an option left.
We will see what happens, all i know 20 years ago when i started we didnt have pvds but we also didnt have the amazon we got now either

But as always the company does what it wants and refuses to negotiate any new changes with the union.
No it's going to take a year or two or three for it to get sorted out They will just do as they please.
That is what is wrong with our current leadership.

542thruNthru

I agree that any extra work, or Saturday or Sunday work, should go to any RPCD that wants it before a PVD gets it. But, let me ask you this.

Were these grievances filed after the fact?
Filed after the fact.
Would these RPCD's have actually volunteered for the work?
Yes, volunteered for Saturday but company refused to allow us to work. The other grievances we're filed because PVDs were sent to take our last 20 or so stops and get us off the clock. So we filed because the PVDs were taking our OT and already had reached their 8 hours.
Or did they just see an opportunity and want free money?
Not how it went down but at the same time I wouldn't blame a driver for filing for the free money if the company is dumb enough to do it.

Back From Break
Yes, volunteered for Saturday but company refused to allow us to work.

My position has always been that any extra work or OT is offered to any RPCD that wants it before it goes to any PVD.

Not how it went down but at the same time I wouldn't blame a driver for filing for the free money if the company is dumb enough to do it.

We had a guy that liked to file on issues like this and collect free money when they didn't offer the work to him first. The funny thing is that every time they offered it to him first, he turned it down. He never did it once. But every time they didn't offer it to him, he filed for the time. Sorry, but I have an issue with this, although it is what it is.