Seasonal PVD Pay Question

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I don't understand that thought process. PVDs are only used during peak when regular full time drivers can't keep up even with 12 hours shifts. It should be a positive that they get to go home after 40-50 hours instead of working 60 hard hours every week during peak. Some people say they should just hire more full time drivers but if there are enough full time drivers for peak then there are too many the rest of the year. What do those drivers do the other 9-10 months of the year? PVDs make sense if they are used right. No PVD should be causing a regular to go under 8 hours. That is bad management. But if they are used to get the regulars down to 8-10 instead of 12 hours then that is a very good thing all around.
You are reducing union hours paid.

Why aren't insiders being offered that extra work?
Why aren't they putting insiders on as seasonal drivers?

PVDs should not exist.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
You are reducing union hours paid.

Why aren't insiders being offered that extra work?
Why aren't they putting insiders on as seasonal drivers?

PVDs should not exist.
PVd's do exist, that is a simple fact of life until language is put in the contract forbidding them. To answer the OP's question, yes, you get paid all mileage while running your route regardless of how many times you come back to reload.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
PVd's do exist, that is a simple fact of life until language is put in the contract forbidding them. To answer the OP's question, yes, you get paid all mileage while running your route regardless of how many times you come back to reload.
BS.

The contract doesn’t address many things. It NEEDED to be negotiated.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't understand that thought process. PVDs are only used during peak when regular full time drivers can't keep up even with 12 hours shifts. It should be a positive that they get to go home after 40-50 hours instead of working 60 hard hours every week during peak. Some people say they should just hire more full time drivers but if there are enough full time drivers for peak then there are too many the rest of the year. What do those drivers do the other 9-10 months of the year? PVDs make sense if they are used right. No PVD should be causing a regular to go under 8 hours. That is bad management. But if they are used to get the regulars down to 8-10 instead of 12 hours then that is a very good thing all around.
Unfortunately the company is using them now when they are not needed. We need to shut that scab behavior down.

CrazyDave

We are union and your doing union work
friend you and your union bs lol. Lazy people who take 10 hrs to do a 6 hr job. Went and picked up 45 stops from a regular driver today and he was surprised how fast I got finished with it and was looking for more. He swore theirs no way i got done in the time it took and that's when I told him point blank if yall lazy ass union workers would hustle you could deliver 180-230 packages or more in 7 hours tops. Yall want to cry like you've got a hard gd job when in reality it's baby:censored2:.

542thruNthru

friend you and your union bs lol. Lazy people who take 10 hrs to do a 6 hr job. Went and picked up 45 stops from a regular driver today and he was surprised how fast I got finished with it and was looking for more. He swore theirs no way i got done in the time it took and that's when I told him point blank if yall lazy ass union workers would hustle you could deliver 180-230 packages or more in 7 hours tops. Yall want to cry like you've got a hard gd job when in reality it's baby:censored2:.
Says the guy that doesn't deliver anything over 20lb.

542thruNthru

You're a PVD bro... talking trash and you don't even have a real job lol

Now tell me how you're some multi millionaire That just does this job for fun.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question about being a PVD for those who may have some experience. Last year I applied towards the end of November and worked as a PVD for about a month and a half making $30/hr. This year I applied much earlier (early October) and upon being hired was told that the pay is $21/hr. I will be working at the same location as I worked last year (rural Colorado).

I know that every location is different, but I’m just curious to know if the initial pay normally starts out a bit lower and is increased as we work our way through peak season, or if $21/hr is more than likely what I’ll be making the entire holiday season? Is it only increased later on if they need to incentivize new workers?

Thank you so much!

Only on Tuesday and Thursday

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
But as always the company does what it wants and refuses to negotiate any new changes with the union.
No it's going to take a year or two or three for it to get sorted out They will just do as they please.
That is what is wrong with our current leadership.
Big balls Sean needs to give the 72 hour notice get rid of the PVD’s or walk

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Run-Gun your arse off. Who cares. You are toast as of next week.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Listen SEASONAL, we've been here long before you came along and we'll be here long after you're gone. You can talk all the smack you want but by Jan. 15th,(at the latest) you'll be gone and the rest of us won't. We'll be enjoying our hard fought union wage and healthcare benefits while you are asking "you want to super-size that"?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
EEF186A3-28A2-45D3-914C-CFE2BE304C78.gif

I was a PVD for two weeks last year and it was a piece of cake. Easiest deliveries I ever made. That said, I retired from FedEx Express a few months before that after 35 years and know what hard work is like. BUT, and that’s a big but, I also know that most UPS drivers work much harder than the average FedEx Express driver does. Until you’ve done the job as an UPS driver day in and day out, you have no idea what their job is like.

Also, if one’s truck is packed door to door every day what idiot would want to deliver 180-230 packages in 7 hours? You’re doing it for a few easy weeks. They have to do the job for 30 or more years.

542thruNthru

View attachment 411211

I was a PVD for two weeks last year and it was a piece of cake. Easiest deliveries I ever made. That said, I retired from FedEx Express a few months before that after 35 years and know what hard work is like. BUT, and that’s a big but, I also know that most UPS drivers work much harder than the average FedEx Express driver does. Until you’ve done the job as an UPS driver day in and day out, you have no idea what their job is like.

Also, if one’s truck is packed door to door every day what idiot would want to deliver 180-230 packages in 7 hours? You’re doing it for a few easy weeks. They have to do the job for 30 or more years.
BOOM!

@CrazyDave that's from a FedEx express driver!

You get some easy ass 70 stops in a 5 mile radius. All houses and all packages under 20lb and think you're the man! Again, it's obvious why you're a PVD driver. Tell me how hard it is to work at domino's next lol.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
The ones that aren’t “lazy” are out on disability right now.

scab_

Listen SEASONAL, we've been here long before you came along and we'll be here long after you're gone. You can talk all the smack you want but by Jan. 15th,(at the latest) you'll be gone and the rest of us won't. We'll be enjoying our hard fought union wage and healthcare benefits while you are asking "you want to super-size that"?

actually ill just be going back to the company i own (which is by nature dead this time of year), with an extra 7k in the coffers (thats a half year of mortgage payments) and ill be able to focus on some new creative projects and spend some time acquiring new customers.

enjoy your 10 hour mindless days while i sit at home by the fire with the dog and play computer games while sitting in a meeting with a client.

UPS pays a good wage and benifits no doubt, but to assume everyone who is a PVD is a careerless broke burger flipper is equally as dumb as thinking PVD's are a good idea for UPS.