Second Jobs?

PT Tyler

I'm fairly young and have been working as a loader/pickoff on the Day sort at my UPS Hub for a little over a year now. Back in March I took up a second job at a grocery store (yuck) and I hate it. But alas, I'm sure we all know the ails of only being able to work part time (and some of you, the ails of working full time! But I digress...) so we're forced to take up second jobs as a means to support ourselves.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about jobs that work well as secondary part time jobs? Like I said, I've been working in a grocery store, but they're not extremely flexible with my hours. I've considered delivering pizza/newspapers, trying to get a part time office gig, even offering odd jobs to friends and family.

I'd like to hear some of your success (or failure) stories about your second jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seasonal jobs tend to be popular, especially if you can find one that will pay you under the table/off the books. Landscaping, lawn care, construction, etc.

When I first started I was a cover driver and had a 2nd job stocking shelves at a grocery store and then another one as a delivery driver for an auto parts store. Both jobs knew that UPS came first and both had no problem with that. This should not be a concern to you as your hours are limited and set.

Look for the sign up list for driver helpers for Peak--this is also a good way to get some extra $$$.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
UPS has been my sencond job for 13 years ! A lot of guys I know did what you stated in your post. Deliver papers ( ok if you are not on preload) and delivered pizzas ( ok if you are not on the twi.) Lawn maitainace may be an option but it is seasonal.