Seeking some input as a PT looking ahead at UPS career.

I'm not gonna pretend I know how driver jobs work. I only have 3 peak and 3 part time months experience and two driver friends not in my hub. From the sounds of it, you folks get screwed every step of the way.

But man, there are some drivers who just lose it every morning. Is the union screwing them? I just started third belt (local sort, loading trailers, preload scanner/unloader, smalls support, splitter, belt with 4 cars, now learning third belt) so I get the general idea of how this works.

But why show up pissy every day? If it's not peak what can possibly cause drivers to lose it? One woman used to be a huge ... well... anyway, all I had to do was ask her how she would like her car loaded and what helps her the best. Now we have like a bro-bond and she asked I load her car every day.

Are drivers just fed up with rotating part timers that can't load a car? It ain't hard.. I already know what a dozen drivers want and I've been on 3rd belt 2 weeks. It's not hard to remember a car name and associate it with a driver and one or two things they want or would like.

Do other part timers not care how bad your day is gonna go?

Why do a majority of drivers come to work upset? Because UPS will find a way to make their job unnecessarily hard with mis-loads or part timers who just don't care?

Cuz some of us do care how neat and tidy your car is, after cleaning your trash, or if you want all smalls in totes, air in the 1000s or 4000s regardless of HIN, >70's at RDC, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is how can someone be upset every day at a union-backed job that pays 30-40+ an hour?

How can I make things easier for my drivers?

I know it's car wash's job, but if I see a dirty dash or dirty wheel I'll wet rag and clean up the front as much as I can when belts stop, or if soda or whatever spilled I'll just clean it up, obviously driver was too busy to do it themselves.

Thanks for any insight. I'd like to keep getting better at this, as they are fast tracking drivers in a town we wanna move to, I'd really like some insight into where I'm at or where I can be going, and where I draw the line between taking something to my sup and something to my steward, who said it's fantastic they're teaching me all the positions so fast. I have heard though that some people get moved around frequently until they quit or get fired. But I'm kinda not worried since I show up early and always ask if they need help when everyone's gone.. I mean, do I even matter? Lol. Does anyone who's not driver/union?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm not gonna pretend I know how driver jobs work. I only have 3 peak and 3 part time months experience and two driver friends not in my hub. From the sounds of it, you folks get screwed every step of the way.

But man, there are some drivers who just lose it every morning. Is the union screwing them? I just started third belt (local sort, loading trailers, preload scanner/unloader, smalls support, splitter, belt with 4 cars, now learning third belt) so I get the general idea of how this works.

But why show up pissy every day? If it's not peak what can possibly cause drivers to lose it? One woman used to be a huge ... well... anyway, all I had to do was ask her how she would like her car loaded and what helps her the best. Now we have like a bro-bond and she asked I load her car every day.

Are drivers just fed up with rotating part timers that can't load a car? It ain't hard.. I already know what a dozen drivers want and I've been on 3rd belt 2 weeks. It's not hard to remember a car name and associate it with a driver and one or two things they want or would like.

Why do a majority of drivers come to work upset? Because UPS will find a way to make their job unnecessarily hard with mis-loads or part timers who just don't care?

Cuz some of us do care how neat and tidy your car is, after cleaning your trash, or if you want all smalls in totes, air in the 1000s or 4000s regardless of HIN, >70's at RDC, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is how can someone be upset every day at a union-backed job that pays 30-40+ an hour?

I know it's car wash's job, but if I see a dirty dash or dirty wheel I'll wet rag and clean up the front as much as I can when belts stop, or if soda or whatever spilled I'll just clean it up, obviously driver was too busy to do it themselves.

Thanks for any insight. I'd like to keep getting better at this, as they are fast tracking drivers in a town we wanna move to, I'd really like some insight into where I'm at or where I can be going, and where I draw the line between taking something to my sup and something to my steward, who said it's fantastic they're teaching me all the positions so fast. I have heard though that some people get moved around frequently until they quit or get fired. But I'm kinda not worried since I show up early and always ask if they need help when everyone's gone.. I mean, do I even matter? Lol. Does anyone who's not driver/union?
do you need a cordless air compressor

Poop Head

Judge me.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Just remember that there are UPS careers outside of "the hub" that pay as much as drivers, without the work/ life balance strain. The choice for ur future with the company is still ultimately yours.

Last edited:

MendozaJ

Drivers generally have the same conversation every morning. How :censored3: were you yesterday, and how :censored3: are you today. It's a form of stress relief. You don't want to vent at home. They wouldn't understand anyway.

One of the best things about the job is to be able to go up to a sup and tell them flat out "you (are) :censored3: me right up the :censored3:." Then, :censored3: them right back with a few missed and a 2230 punch out.

Don't clean the cars. Just don't.

DriverNerd

But man, there are some drivers who just lose it every morning. Is the union screwing them?

No, they aren't being screwed, they're just cranky people.

But why show up pissy every day? If it's not peak what can possibly cause drivers to lose it?

See previous response.

Are drivers just fed up with rotating part timers that can't load a car?

That's part of it. I'm fine with anybody who loads my car as long as they do a decent job. Nobody's perfect. As long as I'm not finding 6000 stuff on my 8000 shelf or air loaded way back to where I can't even reach it, I'm not bothered by much. As long as it's roughly where it should be I'm good.

Nope.

They don't. Some do, of course, but I find most drivers are just getting ready to work, not pissed or excited, just neutral. UPS does not go out of their way to make drivers' jobs more difficult than everyone else's. They make all jobs equally more difficult than they should be.

Because some people don't know how good they have it. Not to mention the amazing insurance. Don't get me wrong, driving is a dirty, sweaty job with some long hours in the heat/cold. There always seems to be too much work and the truck is always full, making it more difficult, but that's the job we do. And driving all day with people who don't signal, yield, cut you off, etc gets frustrating.

One, you don't have to. Second, if you have a good relationship with your drivers and you want to, just ask them. Listen to what they say with help and implement it. Doing what you think is best might not be. My preloader isn't perfect, but he'll do little things that help me out. He just asks me. An example: While loading the very back with large irregs, he'll ask which stop I'll do first and put that on top, since it's my first out. Little thing yes, but helps me. If he did it the other way, I wouldn't complain as long as it's a RDL, RDR, or a back of the shelf stop.

Don't clean up after your driver. If they're a pig, that's not your problem. If you make the mess, clean it up.

But I'm kinda not worried since I show up early and always ask if they need help when everyone's gone..

As long as you've hit seniority, you don't have to worry about losing your job. Just show up everyday, do a half decent job and collect your pay/benefits. Best advice, don't become a supervisor.

I mean, do I even matter? Does anyone who's not driver/union?

No. No.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

We're in those cars for 11 hours a day !!!
Monday and Friday used to be easy, now there are no light days.
If the loader generally gives a :censored2:, most drivers aren't beating up on them.
If we vent in the A.M., it's more likely about a split, bulk, or 150 lb. grill we have to deliver.
If a driver bitches at a decent loader, he's just an A-hole. NEWS FLASH - Every group has one, not just drivers.

Just do your job and move on, AND FOR friend SAKE, DON'T CLEAN UP AFTER AN INCONSIDERATE DRIVER
Leave everything up near the bulkhead door so he has to deal with it all morning. He's just a dirtbag.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

No tattoo's. Don't get any where they have any chance of showing, unless you really enjoy sweating in the summer.

Thank you all for your responses. I always wondered why there was such a disconnect between P/FT supes and you know, people who do real work.

We are a pretty progressive state as far as tattoos. Almost half (maybe more) of our drivers have them. I have a tasteful military on one arm and a firefighter badge on the other. Trust me it was my first concern so I asked the union steward. I was told they're tasteful and fine, and would be looked at as "better" since I guess there's a strong military and leo/fire in the line of work. It never really gets over 70 anyway.

I am hoping for driver. If I get it in a few years I can retire by 60 or 62. I've figured as long as I show up every day and don't mess up and do a great job I should be fine.

I know this might get laughs but I do hope they appreciate a hard worker and a versatile fillin on some level. I see guys who have been doing these jobs 5,10,15 years and nothing against them they are great people but something wears away at these folks and a majority (years and years later) don't really go above and beyond - I mean come on, it's not hard to jump to unload quick if you're just doing smalls and the chutes are empty. But I guess I can kind of see why.

Our supes are at least 10 years younger than I, and I'm not that old..

Everyone says the management is worse in this location than anywhere else.. and if I'm planning on doing driver, I should just transfer to the town with drivers getting 60h/wk and work my way up inside that hub. Thoughts?

Or wait. Is it because people don't jump to help on other people's work because it literally is someone else's job and has no effect on their pay or job standing?

km3

Or wait. Is it because people don't jump to help on other people's work because it literally is someone else's job and has no effect on their pay or job standing?

In some situations, that's definitely part of it. The other issue is, management expects more from people who go the extra mile and there may come a day when you're sick of doing everything. When that day comes, it'll be a lot more difficult to slow down because you set a precedent for what they can expect from you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
proxy.gif

Thanks Bastiatian, that was one of my concerns is one day we are going to have 7 people call out (a regular Monday or Friday) and an unloader will come 2 hours after start time and I'll get moved to smalls, that person shows up then I'm at belt, and when they show up I have to do third belt.. then come nighttime nobody shows up for freight and I'm unloading cars then loading the trailers. This has already happened a few times and I'd be lying if I said I don't feel taken advantage of.

Honestly I've never, ever in my life had a job where hard work, punctuality, attendance, and general "I'm here, strong, and fit and want to work" doesn't mean anything to sups.

km3

Thanks Bastiatian, that was one of my concerns is one day we are going to have 7 people call out (a regular Monday or Friday) and an unloader will come 2 hours after start time and I'll get moved to smalls, that person shows up then I'm at belt, and when they show up I have to do third belt.. then come nighttime nobody shows up for freight and I'm unloading cars then loading the trailers. This has already happened a few times and I'd be lying if I said I don't feel taken advantage of.

Honestly I've never, ever in my life had a job where hard work, punctuality, attendance, and general "I'm here, strong, and fit and want to work" doesn't mean anything to sups.

There's nothing wrong with knowing how to do multiple jobs. Just don't try to do too much simultaneously.

You should be getting OT after 5 hours. Unless you have classes or another job or something, I'd just soak it in.

Yep, they give us 3.5 hours of work, which turns into 5 hours, and depending on how hard everyone works (lol) we get out on time. They take it out on belt workers while we are sitting there with a slow or empty belt waiting on the inefficient new hires to finish unloading. We had 15k pieces the other day (not too terrible) and we worked 2:15 to 10:30. There's no reason for that. A trailer should take 45 minutes, or a 50% irreg/over less than half an hour.

It's hard for me to get a grasp on this. I operated a mailing company for ten years and would never have treated some of the people this way or stood for frequent callouts and late shows. I don't want to sound like I'm painting an unnecessarily grim picture of our hub, but it boggles my mind. It's OK maybe 3 days out of the week, and I know Friday and Monday are harder on average, but at least 3 people call out on those days, sometimes 5, worst case 7 or 8. Empty chutes with scanners sitting around with visible bags in trailers is unacceptable. To me anyway I guess.

Over 70

Thank you all for your responses. I always wondered why there was such a disconnect between P/FT supes and you know, people who do real work.

We are a pretty progressive state as far as tattoos. Almost half (maybe more) of our drivers have them. I have a tasteful military on one arm and a firefighter badge on the other. Trust me it was my first concern so I asked the union steward. I was told they're tasteful and fine, and would be looked at as "better" since I guess there's a strong military and leo/fire in the line of work. It never really gets over 70 anyway.

I am hoping for driver. If I get it in a few years I can retire by 60 or 62. I've figured as long as I show up every day and don't mess up and do a great job I should be fine.

I know this might get laughs but I do hope they appreciate a hard worker and a versatile fillin on some level. I see guys who have been doing these jobs 5,10,15 years and nothing against them they are great people but something wears away at these folks and a majority (years and years later) don't really go above and beyond - I mean come on, it's not hard to jump to unload quick if you're just doing smalls and the chutes are empty. But I guess I can kind of see why.

Our supes are at least 10 years younger than I, and I'm not that old..

Everyone says the management is worse in this location than anywhere else.. and if I'm planning on doing driver, I should just transfer to the town with drivers getting 60h/wk and work my way up inside that hub. Thoughts?

Ahhh they're cute when they're new.

I've been in the game nearly a year now and was a gung ho, go above beyond, team player like I've been my whole life. I've also never worked for a place as unreasonable as UPS.

About two months ago I finally made a conscious decision that I don't care anymore. This place has a way of sucking your soul out if you're a normal person.

I still try to do an excellent job but no longer care about UPS and their idiotic expectations, fake safety, etc. I just care about my fellow teamsters and try to do whatever makes our lives easiest. Above and beyond hard work is not appreciated as an hourly in the long run. Its all what have you done for me lately.

Punch in, stay in the middle of the pack, focus on your own safety, punch out, repeat.

Sad but true.

I had to look it up.

It's OK tho, 30 minutes north of me and 30 minutes south of me are fast tracking drivers and I already know diad 3 and 4. Honestly if this takes off and I hope it will, I'd love to get my CDL and do trailers. I love the open road and if I'd get paid to travel Oregon at beautiful times of day I'd be happy. I'd be just as happy with residential, or commercial, they're all fun in their own way if you make it to be. I'll be well into seniority when our lease is up and they've needed drivers for 18 months they're running full 60 hours on everyone at both locations. I'm looking forward to this.