Seniority Question ?

Where in the Union Hand book Does it say that the Most Senor person Should be ask If he wants to go home first....

At our center Superior Visors will call less Senior employees and tell them to stay home..Employee with more Seniority feel they should be given this option. Or they will Tell the Less Seniority Person they can go home and Take Pay Actual and not even ask the Senior person.

I have looked in the Union handbook and could not find a Article that could define this Clearly ...It has always been understood in all my years at UPS that the Most Senior Person is always ask first..

If anyone has any Idea on the Article please let me know .....

DS

Fenderbender
While most people complain that they want more hours,you want less.You sound like you know your rights,so just speak up.If they are sending anyone with less seniority home before
asking you ,file a grievance detailing the dates and times.
You will get paid for it.After that they will ask you first.

Cementups

Box Monkey
^^that sounds right to me. We have times when drivers have already reported to work and they wanted to send someone home home though and a senior driver will step up and asked to be sent home with out pay if they can fill his spot.

Hangingon

Ours is in our Atlantic Area Supplement; Art 48, Sec 2: Layoff and Recall. It states voluntary time off will be offered in seniority order in each center.

Unpaid days off are coded out as a code 21 in our area and that is the code for lay offs. If a junior driver decided to use a paid day (sick or burn a personal) he would be allowed the day off over senior drivers that weren't using one of their paid days off. Basically layoffs are ask from the top, force from the bottom.

ikoi62

^^ so a guy with 1 year and all his personal days left could force a guy with 25 years and no personal days left to work?

i still stand by this
seniority is the right to work not to go home

It is not about wanting less hours. For me personally I am a Senior person..I just want Clarification on whether or not it is in the Union hand book. I will look in our Union Handbook here in the South to see what Article 48 says

As far as being aware you want to be called, They ( the Sup's) call who they want ....i.e. ( They want the people they know who will work and the crappy people to stay home.)Regardless of who it is .
And as far as a Business owner in the really world I know this is a sound business practice. Wanting the best people to work for you ...But On the Union side of my life I am not so sure it is Kosher ...

I agree with ikoi62 I am not so sure it is in the Hand book...I will let everyone know when I find out more and if anyone have anymore info feel free to contribute

It is not about wanting less hours. For me personally I am a Senior person..I just want Clarification on whether or not it is in the Union hand book. I will look in our Union Handbook here in the South to see what Article 48 says

As far as being aware you want to be called, They ( the Sup's) call who they want ....i.e. ( They want the people they know who will work and the crappy people to stay home.)Regardless of who it is .

And as far as a Business owner in the really world I know this is a sound business practice. Wanting the best people to work for you ...But On the Union side of my life I am not so sure it is Kosher ...

I agree with ikoi62 I am not so sure it is in the Hand book...I will let everyone know when I find out more and if anyone have anymore info feel free to contribute

trickpony1

Seniority and the seniority list is a simple concept that has been a perpetual source of confusion for management.
A seniority list has a top and a bottom. It doesn't have a "left" or a "right".
Good things (like extra work, days off, etc.) start at the top and work down.
Bad things (like lay-offs, getting sent back out) start at the bottom and go up.

.....very simple concept.